• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 350/1 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Is it the same livery as on some non refurbished trains or is it a more complex version, as the current one looks like it could be done with paint it just would take some time as it has a couple different shades of green.

Doubt it probably the same but with less LM vinyl compared to the 350/2 units where they partially strip off the old LM vinyl and applied new vinyl to the doors and end cabs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xc170

What's the latest with the refurb? First unit seems to have been in the works for months, a long time for them to change the seat covers and carpets...

Spirit555

Ghost, 350123 was on the chase line this afternoon, approx. 1320 at Bescot heading towards Birmingham New St

RealTrains07

Established Member
I was right. LNR will be completing the 350/1 refurbishment work in 3 stages (exterior work for now)

350/123 is back in service as shown in the photo.

“Our 350/1's are turning 15 & heading for a full mid life repaint. #1 Strip back #2 Corrosion repairs #3 Apply new livery. This is being done in phases to keep as many carriages in service as possible”

Attachments

• A5E28294-D486-4112-BF10-7106A653AF4D.jpeg
    A5E28294-D486-4112-BF10-7106A653AF4D.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 181

RealTrains07

Established Member
Regarding interior refurb. The first train is due out of Bletchley within the next 2 weeks. Unit number unknown

“they'll head for a full interior revamp as part of this mid-life work. The first train is due out of our Bletchley works within the next 2 weeks”

Silverlinky

Regarding interior refurb. The first train is due out of Bletchley within the next 2 weeks. Unit number unknown

“they'll head for a full interior revamp as part of this mid-life work. The first train is due out of our Bletchley works within the next 2 weeks”

350115 has been in Bletchley for a while, last seen stripped out internally in its entirety. The (never used) guards compartment is being removed and replaced with 4 seats in addition to new carpeting, new PIS etc.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The removal of said guard's compartment might be the reason why the refurb's taking its sweet time...
I doubt the guards compartment is critical, you’d think it would be less complicated to do than the SWR 450 changes, as I understand it the 350s aren’t repositioning the neighbouring first class area as well? I think when at full speed the 450 interior mods, including moving first and the associated bulkheads and the sliding doors, and stripping out the guards office, only takes a few days per unit...

HLE

Established Member
It'll become quicker once they've done a few. The first one always takes time.

If they do a similar refurb to the class 172/0 then the jobs a good'un

RealTrains07

Established Member
It'll become quicker once they've done a few. The first one always takes time.

If they do a similar refurb to the class 172/0 then the jobs a good'un
Hopefully they wont be reuse old LM labels like they have in the 172/0 refurb :lol:

Silverlinky

350115, the first refurbished and reliveried 350/1 is scheduled to re enter service tomorrow

RealTrains07

Established Member
350115, the first refurbished and reliveried 350/1 is scheduled to re enter service tomorrow
Been wondering at what point this week it would return. They LNR on twitter did say it would be at some point this week

Silverlinky

No sign of it being allocated anything off Northampton this morning.

Indeed......remains "Stopped" at Kings Heath.

350106 at Bletchley TMD receiving internal refresh
350104 at Long Marston undergoing corrosion repair work.
350123 in traffic

RealTrains07

Established Member
Indeed......remains "Stopped" at Kings Heath.

350106 at Bletchley TMD receiving internal refresh
350104 at Long Marston undergoing corrosion repair work.
350123 in traffic

So its 350/106 that we should be looking out for regarding interior refresh not 350/115

sd0733

Established Member
So its 350/106 that we should be looking out for regarding interior refresh not 350/115
No, 115 is first to be released, 106 was sent to Bletchley second when it returned from Long Marston for its corrosion repairs and repaint.

driver_m

Established Member
What corrosion have they been suffering with? I know they’ve been around a while now, but we buy into this German cliche of rock solid products that don’t fail or fall to bits.

59CosG95

Established Member
What corrosion have they been suffering with? I know they’ve been around a while now, but we buy into this German cliche of rock solid products that don’t fail or fall to bits.
Mid-life overhaul.
The 350/2s had it as well because Porterbrook wanted the units returned in an acceptable condition when the 730s come on stream. The 350/1s, now approaching 15 years of age, were due to be next in line.

It just so happens that the work being undertaken at Long Marston is for corrosion repair, and (for the /1s) removal of the old LM vinyls before any metalwork repair, before a full repaint in undercoat prior to returning to Northampton.
If traffic demand requires it, the unit can be pressed straight into service in this "ghostly" livery (see 350123 as an example), but when its time comes to receive an interior refresh/refurb, it gets dispatched to Bletchley. I'd imagine new LNWR vinyls will be applied there too.

By contrast, the Southeastern fleet of 375s had their midlifes done at Litchurch Lane AFAIK (which makes sense, as that was where they were built) as one package (corrosion repair, refurbishment, repaint).

Silverlinky

No, 115 is first to be released, 106 was sent to Bletchley second when it returned from Long Marston for its corrosion repairs and repaint.

I think this was the original plan, but bearing in mind 115 is still in LM Livery (interim) it has not had its corrosion exam/repairs at Long Marston yet whereas 106 has.

115 may come into traffic as the first refurbished interior unit, but it looks like 106 may be the first one that gets the refurb, repairs and re-livery.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Mid-life overhaul.
The 350/2s had it as well because Porterbrook wanted the units returned in an acceptable condition when the 730s come on stream. The 350/1s, now approaching 15 years of age, were due to be next in line.

It just so happens that the work being undertaken at Long Marston is for corrosion repair, and (for the /1s) removal of the old LM vinyls before any metalwork repair, before a full repaint in undercoat prior to returning to Northampton.
If traffic demand requires it, the unit can be pressed straight into service in this "ghostly" livery (see 350123 as an example), but when its time comes to receive an interior refresh/refurb, it gets dispatched to Bletchley. I'd imagine new LNWR vinyls will be applied there too.

By contrast, the Southeastern fleet of 375s had their midlifes done at Litchurch Lane AFAIK (which makes sense, as that was where they were built) as one package (corrosion repair, refurbishment, repaint).
Its a shame porterbrook has the units and not angel

since the /3s are also the newest Makes sense doing them last

59CosG95

Established Member
Why what's the significance of the leasing company?
Porterbrook charge significantly different rates (more expensive IIRC) for their lessors to use the 350/2s, and as I understand it, WMT wanted a Porterbrook-free fleet on the WCML. (They won't have a Porterbrook-free fleet throughout, as the gangwayed Class 172s are PB-owned, but that's beside the point).

The exchange of Desiros for Aventras also seems to allow for more 8-car and 12-car 350 operation, as 37 4-car 350/2s (148 vehicles) will be exchanged for 29 5-car 730/1s (145 veh's) and 16 5-car 730/2s (80 veh's); a net gain of 77 coaches. However, financing is due to be led by Infracapital & Deutsche Asset Management (i.e. not Porterbrook).

Despite the opinions of many on this forum about Abellio, I believe they've got a good set of cards to play and are playing the long game; however, this is getting off-topic!

RealTrains07

Established Member
Porterbrook charge significantly different rates (more expensive IIRC) for their lessors to use the 350/2s, and as I understand it, WMT wanted a Porterbrook-free fleet on the WCML. (They won't have a Porterbrook-free fleet throughout, as the gangwayed Class 172s are PB-owned, but that's beside the point).

The exchange of Desiros for Aventras also seems to allow for more 8-car and 12-car 350 operation, as 37 4-car 350/2s (148 vehicles) will be exchanged for 29 5-car 730/1s (145 veh's) and 16 5-car 730/2s (80 veh's); a net gain of 77 coaches. However, financing is due to be led by Infracapital & Deutsche Asset Management (i.e. not Porterbrook).

Despite the opinions of many on this forum about Abellio, I believe they've got a good set of cards to play and are playing the long game; however, this is getting off-topic!

Porterbrook shouldn’t be allowed to charge so much it’s ridiculous but yes thats beside the point.

Any idea of when 350/106 will leave bletchley and return to service??

Considering we have had no sign of 350/115 in service yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.