• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 373 Eurostar withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

cl90001

I don't think any did go straight to scrap from passenger duties.

As far as I'm aware, 3001/3002, 3009/3010, 3011/3012, 3013/3014 and 3103/3104 were all stored out of service for at least a couple of weeks before being sent to Kingsbury. IIRC 3013/3014 was stored on the disused Waterloo link line at Fawkham for some time. Not sure about 3003/3004, 3005/3006, 3019/3020, 3107/3108 or 3231/3232, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were all stored for at least a couple of weeks before being sent to Kingsbury either.

My mistake mate sorry, although I did see a comment (not on here) when 3005/3006 went to Kingsbury along with the 2nd set that went that both of those 2 came out of a passenger service then on to Kingsbury for scrapping.

not sure if 3013/3014 have been the only set to have been stored at Faekham Jn? been hearing a few other sets have been stored there as well prior to scrapping although if that's true I'm not sure what ones?? sets do get stored a couple of months before moving to Kingsbury for preparation for scrapping. (happy to be corrected on this)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
My mistake mate sorry, although I did see a comment (not on here) when 3005/3006 went to Kingsbury along with the 2nd set that went that both of those 2 came out of a passenger service then on to Kingsbury for scrapping.
IIRC the second set had graffiti on it, so I'd be very surprised if that had come straight out of service. Entirely possible that the 1st one did though, and that would also explain why there was more time between the 1st and 2nd scrap moves than between most of the other scrap moves, seeing as if the set had come straight out of service the component recovery that would usually be done at Temple Mills after withdrawal would have had to be done at Kingsbury instead.

not sure if 3013/3014 are the only set to have been stored at Faekham Jn? been hearing a few other sets have been stored there as well prior to scrapping?? sets do get stored a couple of months before moving to Kingsbury for preparation for scrapping.
I'm not sure myself if any other sets were stored there or not; all the photos I've seen only show the one set (3013/3014), but that doesn't necessarily mean that there weren't others there at some point. Possibly some of the sets that are now stored in France?

cl90001

IIRC the second set had graffiti on it, so I'd be very surprised if that had come straight out of service. Entirely possible that the 1st one did though, and that would also explain why there was more time between the 1st and 2nd scrap moves than between most of the other scrap moves, seeing as if the set had come straight out of service the component recovery that would usually be done at Temple Mills after withdrawal would have had to be done at Kingsbury instead.

I'm not sure myself if any other sets were stored there or not; all the photos I've seen only show the one set (3013/3014), but that doesn't necessarily mean that there weren't others there at some point. Possibly some of the sets that are now stored in France?

was probably just 3005/3006 that came out of passenger service then before they were hauled to Kingsbury? not sure if any components do get recovered?? if so then I'm not sure how much? only thing I know is that when the sets are stored and prepared for scrap they have (don't know the exact/correct name), they have a few things removed then get made "line ready" so they can run to Temple Mills under there own power before the 66 takes over.

I know that when the sets reach Kingsbury they are completely dismantled, which is why anyone who has messaged Eurostar or EMR regarding trying to save/salvage parts as memorabilia has been denied?.

as for the sets stored in France, think they ran to there storage locations under there own power?? not sure if their were stored prior to that? (happy to be corrected)

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
was probably just 3005/3006 that came out of passenger service then before they were hauled to Kingsbury? not sure if any components do get recovered?? if so then I'm not sure how much? only thing I know is that when the sets are stored and prepared for scrap they have (don't know the exact/correct name), they have a few things removed then get made "line ready" so they can run to Temple Mills under there own power before the 66 takes over.
It wouldn't surprise me if the earlier sets that went for scrap had more parts taken from them than the more recent ones, as there presumably will now be a large pool of spare parts available that wasn't available when the first sets went for scrap.

I'm not sure what the decommissioning process at Temple Mills entails. It's possible that wheelsets are swapped for more worn sets (that would explain why so many of the sets that have gone for scrap have had bad wheel flats), but I'm not certain about that one. I did however notice that most equipment from the galley of 3002 had been removed before it went for scrap, but otherwise the interiors appeared untouched, even the complimentary magazines hadn't been removed!

Obviously the powercar at the St Pancras end of the set has to still be in operational condition, and I think the power car at the other end is also in operational condition for the move, should the scrap move be cancelled at the last minute and the set therefore ends up having to make an unplanned return to Temple Mills.

cl90001

It wouldn't surprise me if the earlier sets that went for scrap had more parts taken from them than the more recent ones, as there presumably will now be a large pool of spare parts available that wasn't available when the first sets went for scrap.

I'm not sure what the decommissioning process at Temple Mills entails. It's possible that wheelsets are swapped for more worn sets (that would explain why so many of the sets that have gone for scrap have had bad wheel flats), but I'm not certain about that one. I did however notice that most equipment from the galley of 3002 had been removed before it went for scrap, but otherwise the interiors appeared untouched, even the complimentary magazines hadn't been removed!

Obviously the powercar at the St Pancras end of the set has to still be in operational condition, and I think the power car at the other end is also in operational condition for the move, should the scrap move be cancelled at the last minute and the set therefore ends up having to make an unplanned return to Temple Mills.

if any parts had been taken from any sets, it wouldn't be much parts? plus what parts would likely to be taken before the sets move to Kingsbury? (as you mention maybe a wheelset swap)? I know that when E* decommission the sets prior to them going to Kingsbury, I think part of that process is removing the normal signaling system and putting a temporary one in so that the sets can still get to St Pancras under their own power? "line ready" as they call it. (happy to be corrected)

Last edited:

cl90001

it certainly doesn't look like much is salvaged once the sets reach Kingsbury by the looks of this

Attachments

• IMG_6922.JPG
    IMG_6922.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 155

ChilternTurbo

it certainly doesn't look like much is salvaged once the sets reach Kingsbury by the looks of this
Interesting picture! Where did you find that?

There were earlier discussions in this thread about units coming straight out of service and immediately being despatched to Kingsbury but as I said then, there are practicalities of emptying CET waste tanks and removal of re-usable equipment. I have seen pictures on twitter and flicker and it would appear that the power cars seemed to undergo quite a lot of component recovery at Kingsbury, certainly with the earlier moves.

I can't imagine much being salvaged from the carriages as the refurbished and retained 373s are getting completely new interiors. I know a member on here made enquiries about obtaining a set of seats from a scrap carriage but was told by EMR that the scrapping contract states that no parts can be salvaged for third parties...

cl90001

Interesting picture! Where did you find that?

There were earlier discussions in this thread about units coming straight out of service and immediately being despatched to Kingsbury but as I said then, there are practicalities of emptying CET waste tanks and removal of re-usable equipment. I have seen pictures on twitter and flicker and it would appear that the power cars seemed to undergo quite a lot of component recovery at Kingsbury, certainly with the earlier moves.

I can't imagine much being salvaged from the carriages as the refurbished and retained 373s are getting completely new interiors. I know a member on here made enquiries about obtaining a set of seats from a scrap carriage but was told by EMR that the scrapping contract states that no parts can be salvaged for third parties...

came across it as a comment on post on Facebook regarding 373s going to scrap at Kingsbury mate. I dare say they recover what they can from the power cars at both Temple Mills and after arrival at Kingsbury, like you say I don't think much if not anything is salvaged from the coaches? certainly doesn't look like it.

ChilternTurbo

came across it as a comment on post on Facebook regarding 373s going to scrap at Kingsbury mate. I dare say they recover what they can from the power cars at both Temple Mills and after arrival at Kingsbury, like you say I don't think much if not anything is salvaged from the coaches? certainly doesn't look like it.
Thanks for that and it's interesting to see an image on from inside the scrapyard. I visited Kingsbury last May and could just about see 4 power cars from playing fields embankment adjacent to the railway line and those units seemed to have had been quite neatly cannibalised. I did read that technicians from Temple Mills have been involved in component recovery at Kingsbury.
I went past EMR again last month but this time on a Cross Country service and caught a very brief glimpse of a power car and piles of scrap which I presume were what was was left of the carriages. It was a 'blink and you've missed it' moment though!
It's certainly been a large scrapping operation for EMR. By my calculations they've processed 24 power cars and 216 carriages so far...

cl90001

Thanks for that and it's interesting to see an image on from inside the scrapyard. I visited Kingsbury last May and could just about see 4 power cars from playing fields embankment adjacent to the railway line and those units seemed to have had been quite neatly cannibalised. I did read that technicians from Temple Mills have been involved in component recovery at Kingsbury.
I went past EMR again last month but this time on a Cross Country service and caught a very brief glimpse of a power car and piles of scrap which I presume were what was was left of the carriages. It was a 'blink and you've missed it' moment though!
It's certainly been a large scrapping operation for EMR. By my calculations they've processed 24 power cars and 216 carriages so far...

thanks for that mate, I didn't think any parts were actually being recovered from Kingsbury following various posts and pictures ive seen in various places and the fact no one is aloud to salvage anything like nameplates e.t.c (understandable why). 10 moves to Kingsbury so they would have processed 20 powercars? and 187 coaches? including the ones that went by road having been stored at Temple Mills?

cl90001

not sure if this has been mentioned in here? stored half set 3304 in Paris appears to have been vandalised and a few parts removed, just like 3018/3017 (just not as bad)

MarcVD

I suppose they are, before being cut, stripped of all the parts that might still be useful to keep what remains of the fleet alive...

cl90001

I suppose they are, before being cut, stripped of all the parts that might still be useful to keep what remains of the fleet alive...

well yeah they need as many spare parts as possible for the remaining sets should any spare parts be needed for repairs e.t.c

Southern Dvr

Amazing really that they can't sell on the seats or anything that would be useful for non commercial railway operations. Seems a bit wasteful. I always thought a First Class carriage would have made a novel restaurant, bit like The Sidings near York.

backontrack

Established Member
Amazing really that they can't sell on the seats or anything that would be useful for non commercial railway operations. Seems a bit wasteful. I always thought a First Class carriage would have made a novel restaurant, bit like The Sidings near York.
I agree. It just seems wasteful.

Using a First Class carriage as a restaurant seems like a good idea.

backontrack

Established Member
Yes. There's another half set (either 3101 or 3102) in the same "secure" location, which has also likely been scrapped now.
Oh. That's rather saddening. Having just googled it, it appears that 3017 and 3018 were scrapped in March in Valenciennes, where the latter had been left to crumble into dereliction.

At least the NRM still have one 373 set in preservation.

cl90001

Oh. That's rather saddening. Having just googled it, it appears that 3017 and 3018 were scrapped in March in Valenciennes, where the latter had been left to crumble into dereliction.

At least the NRM still have one 373 set in preservation.

3017/3108 was indeed cut up last month along with the half set coaches that were next door to it

Class319&373

not sure if this has been mentioned in here? stored half set 3304 in Paris appears to have been vandalised and a few parts removed, just like 3018/3017 (just not as bad)
Here are some pictures of NoL 3304 in the sidings at Paris Technicentre Le Landy, this half set has been there for a couple of years as its visible on Google Maps from 2016

Attachments

• 2018-02-19 (2).png
    2018-02-19 (2).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • 2018-02-19 (6).png
    2018-02-19 (6).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
  • 2018-03-25 (14).png
    2018-03-25 (14).png
    2.3 MB · Views: 79
  • 2018-04-03 (4).png
    2018-04-03 (4).png
    2.3 MB · Views: 75
  • 2018-04-03.png
    2018-04-03.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 75

cl90001

Here are some pictures of NoL 3304 in the sidings at Paris Technicentre Le Landy, this half set has been there for a couple of years as its visible on Google Maps from 2016

sad to see the 373s ending up like this but can understand why they are being withdrawn from traffic and being scrapped.

there seems to be another 1 or 2 half sets round the back of Le Landy depot by the looks of it (from google maps)?

Last edited:

cl90001

Any update? - going by the frequency of the last three drags we're due another very soon ?

nothing as yet mate, haven't seen or heard anything new regarding the next scrap move, still set to be 3201/3202 although a date is still yet to be confirmed

cl90001

anyone know why 3223/3224 worked a St Pancras Intl to Ashford Intl and then back to St Pancras on 28/04/18?

Class319&373

anyone know why 3223/3224 worked a St Pancras Intl to Ashford Intl and then back to St Pancras on 28/04/18?
I believe its because they are trying to fix the KVB faults at Ashford, but I'm surprised it wasn't a 374 that they used.

Last edited:

cl90001

I believe its because they are trying to fix the KVB faults at Ashford, but I'm surprised it wasn't a 374 that they used.

they have might have used the 373 as a precaution just incase they encounted any problems while testing the KVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.