• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 373 Eurostar withdrawals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilternTurbo

The power cars are being coupled nose to nose out of the way towards the bottom (visible) end of the yard, while EMR busy themselves ripping apart the coaching sets out of sight behind the containers, though you might see the resident shunter trundling a coaching set around if you're passing at the right time.

There are scrap trains coming out of Kingsbury now with visible bits of Eurostar heaped up in them.
Thanks, that's interesting to hear.

I see that the next doomed 373 has just arrived into STP from Temple Mills…

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/J24841/2017/03/17/advanced

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
I have great memories of travelling on these trains, from virtually the Chunnel's opening when we got a train to Brussels and back from Lille. I wonder (though I know some are going to continue on the Belgian route for some time) if one will be preserved and we will be having enthusiast tours. I can see a nice day out from London - Lille - Paris - Lille - Brussels - Lille - London. On the other hand, they are rather too long to store anywhere indoors so they won't rot, so it'll probably be a static exhibition of a loco and one or two coaches at York, Schaerbeek and wherever the French museum is. :D

There is a rumour that they will also be kept on the ski trains, simply because there is so much space to store err...skis, than the new trains

sprinterguy

Established Member
I wonder (though I know some are going to continue on the Belgian route for some time) if one will be preserved and we will be having enthusiast tours. I can see a nice day out from London - Lille - Paris - Lille - Brussels - Lille - London. On the other hand, they are rather too long to store anywhere indoors so they won't rot, so it'll probably be a static exhibition of a loco and one or two coaches at York, Schaerbeek and wherever the French museum is. :D
This has been discussed on a thread quite recently, and my personal view is that preservation of a full Eurostar set won't happen, for the storage issues that you outline, as well as the cost of buying and maintaining such a lengthy and electrically complex train. I think that the power car at the NRM is as much as we're likely to get.
There is a rumour that they will also be kept on the ski trains, simply because there is so much space to store err...skis, than the new trains
Sadly a common trend for new trains to have less luggage space than those that they replace. :(

Last edited:
........There is a rumour that they will also be kept on the ski trains, simply because there is so much space to store err...skis, than the new trains

As far as I'm aware, there are/were only 5 full sets that were fitted with 1500v DC equipment and able to do the ski runs.

ChilternTurbo

I have great memories of travelling on these trains, from virtually the Chunnel's opening when we got a train to Brussels and back from Lille.

I'm a big fan of the 373 and think as a design they've aged very well and with their association with the Channel Tunnel have become iconic trains. This is despite the lackadaisical approach by Eurostar at keeping the exteriors clean and the rather half hearted interior refurbishment a few years ago.

It's a pity that the replacement Valeros aren't (in my opinion) nearly as handsome and from what I've read, seem to be a retrograde step as far as passenger comfort is concerned...

ash39

Established Member
Despite the logistical issues of storage and cost, I can't believe there won't be a set preserved. The first passenger train to be designed and used in the channel tunnel which in itself was a revolutionary project. I know not everything can be kept forever, but surely this is historically significant.

najaB

Veteran Member
Despite the logistical issues of storage and cost, I can't believe there won't be a set preserved. The first passenger train to be designed and used in the channel tunnel which in itself was a revolutionary project. I know not everything can be kept forever, but surely this is historically significant.
Why do you need to preserve more than a driving car and trailer carriage? Where is it ever going to get used?

ChilternTurbo

Why do you need to preserve more than a driving car and trailer carriage? Where is it ever going to get used?

I have to agree, it's very appropriate that we've had a power car added to the collection at the National Railway Museum where it's quite rightly displayed alongside other icons of the railway. Realistically, where would a full 18 carriage set be displayed?
As other posters have said, it's a train built for a specific purpose and is too compromised for other uses. At least they're not going completely and the (overdue) refurbishment and refit on what's left of the fleet means they can be enjoyed for a few more years.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
May I suggest a compromise?

Preserve the following as a rake somewhere:

* Power car.
* The adjoining "half power / half trailer" vehicle.
* One standard trailer.
* One bar car.
* One first trailer.
* The split end trailer.

That is less than a third of the length of the full train but does encompass one example of each type of vehicle. It also rather neatly avoids having an issue over the articulation.

It can be displayed as a static rake, or you could hook a locomotive up to it at either end and use it as a hauled rake.

brad465

Established Member
While it's quite easy to set a train up for preservation while scrappage/withdrawal is occurring, is it currently necessary while Eurostar intends to maintain a few sets for continued service in the foreseeable future? :idea:

They definitely should preserve at least one though I agree.

33Hz

The so-called overdue refurbishment is nasty, uncomfortable and I'd rather have the previous interior any day. Even in first the seats are bolt upright, lacking in legroom and uncomfortable. It's gone from a mobile lounge to plastic train like any other. No way I would want to take one for the Marseille run now. Tragic that these are going for scrap.

59CosG95

Established Member
The so-called overdue refurbishment is nasty, uncomfortable and I'd rather have the previous interior any day. Even in first the seats are bolt upright, lacking in legroom and uncomfortable. It's gone from a mobile lounge to plastic train like any other. No way I would want to take one for the Marseille run now. Tragic that these are going for scrap.

We must have very different tastes! Though I've never actually taken an e300, the refurb feels a lot brighter and cheerier in my eyes; I personally think the old interior looked a bit drab and depressing. (Then again, I've grown up with clinically-interiored units, so what do I know :lol:)

Mordac

Established Member
We must have very different tastes! Though I've never actually taken an e300, the refurb feels a lot brighter and cheerier in my eyes; I personally think the old interior looked a bit drab and depressing. (Then again, I've grown up with clinically-interiored units, so what do I know :lol:)

Indeed, I've never been in the refurbished ones, but the old interior was really oppressive and drab. I definitely wasn't a fan.

Crossover

Established Member
I was thinking about the preservation thing more generally over the weekend, after discussing with a friend the planned, fairly imminent (within the next few years, which is short term in rail speak!) disposition of stock, with the new stuff coming online - I'm sure there will be calls to preserve various things but how far is it reasonably practical? There is limited space available for it all

Peter Sarf

Established Member
No doubt there will be things that are scrapped/demolished now that, with hindsight, we would have wished to keep an example of. But what do we choose or where do we draw the line. Who can justify what today.

As far as 373s go for me it would be nice to keep a bit of the interior that I travelled in. But that will not be possible if the only examples soon left are the refurbished ones. A coach that mixes before and after refurbishment sections could be added to the list.

Last edited:

gsnedders

Established Member
What's the status of 373 v. 374 operated services, and what are we expecting from the May timetable? Are the 374s still confined to London–Paris run? Given the 373s getting withdrawn, are there any 373s left there?

59CosG95

Established Member
What's the status of 373 v. 374 operated services, and what are we expecting from the May timetable? Are the 374s still confined to London–Paris run? Given the 373s getting withdrawn, are there any 373s left there?

As mentioned, I *think* the 373s will stick to the seasonal routes; I'm not sure if Velaros are yet cleared to run to Marseille, Lyon and Bourg-Saint-Maurice, which may still be due to sour grapes on SNCF's part.

rebmcr

Established Member
No doubt there will be things that are scrapped/demolished now that, with hindsight, we would have wished to keep an example of.

If I ever become extraordinarily rich, I'll commission a new-build Blue Pullman from the original plans. :D

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
As far as 373s go for me it would be nice to keep a bit of the interior that I travelled in. But that will not be possible if the only examples soon left are the refurbished ones.

Sure if you cross the scrap merchants palm with silver they may well part with some of the interior fittings you so seek....

TimboM

Established Member
Sure if you cross the scrap merchants palm with silver they may well part with some of the interior fittings you so seek....

Given the OTT secrecy they're trying to scrap these in, I suspect many lengthy contracts will have been signed to prevent such items getting into "unauthorised" hands sadly.

I find all the containers blocking them from view etc. a bit daft. Everyone who wants to know, or remotely cares, knows they're getting scrapped. And there's no shame in it as they're worn out and life-expired. Would have thought it would've been easier for Eurostar to be upfront about it and use it as an opportunity to advertise the new stock / current services.

rebmcr

Established Member
Given the OTT secrecy they're trying to scrap these in, I suspect many lengthy contracts will have been signed to prevent such items getting into "unauthorised" hands sadly.

I find all the containers blocking them from view etc. a bit daft. Everyone who wants to know, or remotely cares, knows they're getting scrapped. And there's no shame in it as they're worn out and life-expired. Would have thought it would've been easier for Eurostar to be upfront about it and use it as an opportunity to advertise the new stock / current services.

/Gallic shrug

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

374s will start to serve Bruxelles from the May timetable changes; the platforms are now ready to accept them.

GW43125

Established Member
374s will start to serve Bruxelles from the May timetable changes; the platforms are now ready to accept them.

I've seen a picture of a 374 in Bruxelles a couple of months ago. Isn't the bigger issue right now that they can't call at Ashford?

The Planner

Veteran Member

The containers have always been there, they havent been moved for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.