• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 377/5 Southeastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunset route

Established Member
And there ends any doubt about compatibility between subclasses!

We weren't allowed to rescue failed 377/2 & 337/5 whilst subleased with thameslink because they were operating a different version of software. Why Thameslink couldn't operate a software version with their subleased Southern units that was compatible with the larger Southern fleet I will never understand. But with all of the 3rd rail electrostar fleets 375-378 I think it's only the software versions within mitrac that make them more or less compatible with each other as the mechanical connections are all the same. It's a bit more complicated with the 387s as they have different electrical connectors as well as upraated software versions but they can still be mechanically connected to earlier versions for rescuing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aleggatta

The only real software variations between the fleets, are PIS databases and GPS location information. All electrostars can rescue other electrostars, because even if mitrac didn't talk between units (which it would anyway) the units have the same train wires, and as such all critical commands will be conveyed along any formation of electrostar. re: thameslink subleasing and not being allowed to rescue, is probably because whilst subleased the units would want to go back to a thameslink depot, rather than a southern one. the only real compatibility problems would be the 357's (tightlocks!) and the 387's because of the improvements made to comply with new regulations, of which I believe the biggest change was an enhanced communication bus for redundancy.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I hope to catch a 377 on one of my regular short hops across from Waterloo East to charing X. So much nicer than a 375 or 376. Don’t even get me started on Networkers!

I hope to catch a 377 on one of my regular short hops across from Waterloo East to charing X. So much nicer than a 375 or 376. Don’t even get me started on Networkers!
You'll principally see them working into Victoria and Blackfriars during the peak. Whilst they can work into Charing Cross, it likely won't happen very often.

Aside from the green interior, they're not all that different from the 375s. The 376s would be a lot nicer if they were given some love - they've not been touched internally (or externally) in over a decade.

The 375s are a lot dirtier!
Even the recently-refurbished (blue) ones? They've been pretty consistently clean when I've been on them, and SE have also been true to their word in this franchise as far as keeping the toilets clean, stocked with water, soap and paper and mostly in service.

ScotGG

Established Member
What changes to long-distance and metro occurred today? I checked an old link posted but it wasn't up to date. Thanks

Antman

Established Member
Apparently they have replaced most 465 workings to Ashford.

Class 466

Established Member
Most services on the Maidstone East Line are now 377. From next week we see the fial phase come in with 22 Diagrams. This will include 1G85 1636 Cannon St - Ramsgate via Chatham whivch goes over to 8 377 from 375.

Was impressed to see that my peak time Blackfriars to Rochester service has finally been bumped up to an 8-coach networker as of yesterday, up from the previous 6-coach networker that was running.

Why did First Capital Connect or Thameslink never do up the interiors?
Probably for much the same reason South West Trains (and other TOCs) never did-up theirs when they were in charge - it costs a fair bit of dollar and until the terms of their franchise agreement are re-negotiated, they aren't obliged to. Rolling stock refreshments are usually woven into franchise agreements and this sort of work is normally performed within two years of the commencement of a franchise agreement - these franchise agreements rarely "see" beyond the near future.

TEW

Established Member
The 377/5s were new to First Capital Connect and were only about 5-6 years old when the franchise finished, there was no reason to refurbish them, they were brand new trains. They were refurbished by Thameslink as part of the same project that saw the rest of the 377 fleet done.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Most services on the Maidstone East Line are now 377. From next week we see the fial phase come in with 22 Diagrams. This will include 1G85 1636 Cannon St - Ramsgate via Chatham whivch goes over to 8 377 from 375.

Why are 377 not being used where 75 mph limited Networkers are wasting paths? Maidstone East branch is hardly high speed.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Why did First Capital Connect or Thameslink never do up the interiors?
It might have been a little premature to think about trying to refurbish them almost before they were in service :p

They weren't all in service until nearly the end of 2009. You can read about the events that led up to this here (NB that thread has a terrible title that made it very difficult to find! Let that be a cautionary tale to try to give your thread a title that makes sense in the long term and doesn't use acronyms in future!)

Fincra5

Established Member
I sae 7503 (I think) at Brighton, Lovers Walk - Has a wheelset issues to be looked at.

Class 466

Established Member
Why are 377 not being used where 75 mph limited Networkers are wasting paths? Maidstone East branch is hardly high speed.
There are very few places that the 377s higher speed would make any difference at all. This is all about getting networkers off of the two longer distance routes that they worked.

Antman

Established Member
There are very few places that the 377s higher speed would make any difference at all. This is all about getting networkers off of the two longer distance routes that they worked.

And reused on suburban services.

ScotGG

Established Member
What's the final plan for train lengths in regard to 12-car networker running? Will there be a reasonable increase in that or is this scheme only going to make 6-cars into 8 or 10 and 8-cars into 10?

For the record, spotted 377164 at Bromley South last night, happily working in multiple with an SE-branded 377/5. Looked just a touch out of place!

So aside from any re-branding exercises, it looks like the 377/5s and 163-164 are now all in their new home.

Attachments

• 377164_BMS.jpg
    377164_BMS.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 156

Class 170101

Established Member
I thought there was an issue over stabling capacity so where do the additional Class 377s stable when not in use?

chris7153

The 05.22 London Victoria to Ramsgste stopping service has been formed of a 377/5 vice 375 unit since last Monday 16th Oct.

Metal_gee_man

More seem to be on the move, ive just seen a Thameslink branded one at Canterbury West, on its way I assume to Ramsgate for a rebrand I guess20171028_112947.jpg 20171028_112850.jpg

MatthewRead

On Moderation
Was impressed to see that my peak time Blackfriars to Rochester service has finally been bumped up to an 8-coach networker as of yesterday, up from the previous 6-coach networker that was running.

Probably for much the same reason South West Trains (and other TOCs) never did-up theirs when they were in charge - it costs a fair bit of dollar and until the terms of their franchise agreement are re-negotiated, they aren't obliged to. Rolling stock refreshments are usually woven into franchise agreements and this sort of work is normally performed within two years of the commencement of a franchise agreement - these franchise agreements rarely "see" beyond the near future.
But Greater Anglia are doing up their interiors despite their rolling stock being replaced and London Overground and TFL Rail did up the interiors of their inherited 315's and 317's despite it being replaced in less than 2 years time.

On Moderation
But Greater Anglia are doing up their interiors despite their rolling stock being replaced and London Overground and TFL Rail did up the interiors of their inherited 315's and 317's despite it being replaced in less than 2 years time.
For GA, it is part of their franchise agreement. Overground and TfL Rail are different as they are TfL-let operations, rather than DfT, but it will be in the contract with the operator to do the interior work.

Southern Dvr

TLK never did the interiors up at originally the 377/5 were for Southern but the DfT (still meddling back then) took them off Southern and gave them to TLK. SN still had to do all the commissioning work and it was made out that when the new TLK stock (387s werent known about then) arrived that SN would get them back probably to replace the 455/456s.

Status
Not open for further replies.