• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 377 Anomalies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichardKing

10 bell if your dispatching from either the rear or an intermediate cab. (driver is closing the doors), other wise its from a panel. The more busy the train (or for other reasons), the more than usual you will be on 10 bell. There are door close buttons in the cab but these were disabled when the guards key was on. (you need the key on to ring the bell). They work on the 375's from SE (we borrowed some once) and the new 387's. 10 bells has it uses, but can be a pain. I've had a driver who tried to take power once when I gave them the 3 to close the doors. :oops: Train never moved, but it tried. Some drivers you get the bells back, some don't. It's also good practice to inform the driver you are doing 10 bells,(and when your stopping) but there are times I have been squeezed out of a train and had to move dispatch points.

On the early units the toilets are a pain, poor to use, hard to re-set, or even lock, and sometimes when doing do the door can crash shut. And how many times do you end up saying D for door, L for lock. Then you have the conductor panels, the dont open fully and sometimes take the odd punter out. You have to hold them almost shut, while folks are boarding.
But the most disheartening feeling is boarding a train you know you are going to working non stop for the next 5 hours or so, and finding it's all coaches HD seating, so you know for the that time your going to be squeezing through, miffing off the punters, when checking tickets, or just passing through.:(

Blimey, it's all very complicated! Mind you, when you've got your sort knowledge and experience I suppose it's quite easy to contend with.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The defaced 377 was 377472 by the way, I saw it at Fratton a couple of weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/Suburban_Jogger/status/703577822460252160/photo/1

I knew it was run of the speed run units (I saw it in Eastbourne sidings a couple of days beforehand as well), I just couldn't remember exactly which one! :roll:

Thanks for the confirmation.

387star

On Moderation
The new covers are great for keeping dust. If your ever on a 313 esp, start flicking the edge of the seat base, the dust jumps up from it's hiding place. You may never want to sit down again.:-x

:lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Anybody know the reason why? And why it's just one unit with this modification?

I believe it is this "Third Rail In service Monitoring Equipment" (TRIME), and it isn't connected to the traction system on the unit.

A modified Class 377 unit will see a set of shoe-gear added to an intermediate bogie and fitted with laser displacement sensors to measure the height of the shoe arm, targeting areas of poor interface performance.
Etc...

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Rail-News/trime-project-to-reduce-delays-on-the-third-rail

Google found an old thread in this forum explaining it is all about de-icing, but I think that was duff gen.

hwl

Established Member
From memory wasn't 404 fitted with the TRIME monitoring equipment so 401 might have been extra shoes and beam for de-icing?

Deepgreen

Established Member
There are at least two 377/3s with non-standard logo positioning, and also at least one with first class window stickers (but no other first class ID) on the standard class driving car section. At least one other 377/3 has no yellow stripe above the windows of its first class section. The Southern Electric Group web site has a few details (some supplied by me!)

Then there are the 377/6s and 377/7s - Southern has started (very belatedly) applying yellow stripes above the first class sections on these units (and "first class" lettering below the windows), and already anomalies have appeared - some have the stripe covering the entire first class section, while others just have a short section each side of the doors.

A number of 377/1s and /4s also have a variety of first class internal stickers missing - not just peeled off but clearly never having been applied, judging by the lack of glue outline left behind.

Dust and/or severe wear?
This post reckoned that 377401 has the TRIME gear:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2091325&postcount=55

I seem to recall that the additional shoe gear was installed as a trial in advance of the introduction of the 377/6s and 377/7s (five cars) but can't remember off-hand the precise reason.

Last edited:

physics34

Established Member
From a drivers point of view RE: shoegear, we got told that the shoegear was going to be made more sturdy as it was originally designed to snap off if it hit an object so it wouldn't damage the shoebeam/bogie, but because of this they snapped off under very light impact. Not sure if this is anything to do with these extra shoegear

Last edited:

MrB

I seem to recall that the additional shoe gear was installed as a trial in advance of the introduction of the 377/6s and 377/7s (five cars) but can't remember off-hand the precise reason.

Would this be because the /6 and /7 subclasses have an extra motor coach or an extra coach with shoes?

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
There are at least two 377/3s with non-standard logo positioning, and also at least one with first class window stickers (but no other first class ID) on the standard class driving car section. At least one other 377/3 has no yellow stripe above the windows of its first class section. The Southern Electric Group web site has a few details (some supplied by me!)

Then there are the 377/6s and 377/7s - Southern has started (very belatedly) applying yellow stripes above the first class sections on these units (and "first class" lettering below the windows), and already anomalies have appeared - some have the stripe covering the entire first class section, while others just have a short section each side of the doors.

A number of 377/1s and /4s also have a variety of first class internal stickers missing - not just peeled off but clearly never having been applied, judging by the lack of glue outline left behind.

Dust and/or severe wear?

It's dust, the second line is what I had tapped to the surface. ;)

sarahj

Established Member
Anyway, quick question to all the 377 drivers out there. Your doing a split and your in the rear portion. How quick can you open the doors, some do it fast, ie they open them, then do the set up and pis codes. others slow, brake stuff, pis codes, then open the doors. Does it depend on the unit?

I ask this as when I'm working a rear unit on a split, I like to be able to give the punters one last chance to get on the correct unit, but sometimes, by the time the doors re-open, the front parts gone. It struck me tonight when 2 poor young girls (aged about 18) were left stranded at Haywards Heath when they got in the wrong part and were trapped until the doors re-opend, which by then the front part had left, thus missing their last train home to Plumpton. (it is annoying to see the front part leave before the doors have re-opened on the rear anyway, esp when its last train time (last train to Hastings)).

*note, the two girls left the station while I was looking at options for them.

Last edited:

bengley

Established Member
Anyway, quick question to all the 377 drivers out there. Your doing a split and your in the rear portion. How quick can you open the doors, some do it fast, ie they open them, then do the set up and pis codes. others slow, brake stuff, pis codes, then open the doors. Does it depend on the unit?

I ask this as when I'm working a rear unit on a split, I like to be able to give the punters one last chance to get on the correct unit, but sometimes, by the time the doors re-open, the front parts gone. It struck me tonight when 2 poor young girls (aged about 18) were left stranded at Haywards Heath when they got in the wrong part and were trapped until the doors re-opend, which by then the front part had left, thus missing their last train home to Plumpton. (it is annoying to see the front part leave before the doors have re-opened on the rear anyway, esp when its last train time (last train to Hastings)).

*note, the two girls left the station while I was looking at options for them.

As soon as the train has been split the doors can be opened. I'm guessing the additional delay is when drivers are doing the PIS code and logging in the GSM-R before the doors are released.

Status
Not open for further replies.