• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
So what can be done with all the many 387 arrivals until further wires go live?
Send them down on the BML and swap them between Southern, GX and TL services! Just to add further confusion...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will 387's start operating all day SSuX from July? Or will they operate at weekends too? (to Maidenhead).

July 3rd adds more services either side of the weekday peaks, as shown in the public timetable. Some DMU short workings to Maidenhead from Reading start on the same day.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Will 387's start operating all day SSuX from July? Or will they operate at weekends too? (to Maidenhead).

I hope not! I'd prefer not to lose the direct London services
The TT shows a few more peak services from the 3rd July, which will prove popular on these parts since more fast services are cut.

chemphys

Regarding the rollout of the GWR 387 to more peak services to/from Maidenhead from 3rd July, has it been said anywhere if they are expected to all be 8 carriage, or a mixture of 4 and 8?

And if they are a mixture, which services will be run by what?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Regarding the rollout of the GWR 387 to more peak services to/from Maidenhead from 3rd July, has it been said anywhere if they are expected to all be 8 carriage, or a mixture of 4 and 8?

And if they are a mixture, which services will be run by what?

The GWR Maidenhead EMU announcement said 8 cars and eventually some 12 cars:

...A further three eight carriage Electrostar trains will come into service just two months later in July, for the same London Paddington to Maidenhead route.

...Today sees the introduction of further six of what will eventually be a total of 45 new four-carriage sets which will operate in eight carriage, and soon to be 12 carriage formations.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c....aspx+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=safari

leomartin125

The GWR Maidenhead EMU announcement said 8 cars and eventually some 12 cars:

Can Maidenhead accomodate 12 car 387's? Everyday I see the Paddington Express 387 as an 8 car in P4 and it doesn't leave much room for an extra four coaches!

Today one of the Paddington Express services (1P93) was formed of four coaches... and with a total of 24 coaches in Maidenhead Sidings I wonder why...

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can Maidenhead accomodate 12 car 387's? Everyday I see the Paddington Express 387 as an 8 car in P4 and it doesn't leave much room for an extra four coaches!

The linked statement is about the whole route, Didcot to Paddington. Train lengths won't be determined by Maidenhead alone, but in any case the following platforms are to be extended to 12 car by Dec 2017:

Slough – Platforms 2, 3, 4 and 5.
Maidenhead – Platforms 1, 2 ,3, 4 and 5.
Twyford – Platforms 1, 2 and 3.
Didcot - Platform 3 – funded by IEP but still delivers 12 car EMU capability

Source is the March 2017 enhancement plan update.

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member

Today one of the Paddington Express services (1P93) was formed of four coaches... and with a total of 24 coaches in Maidenhead Sidings I wonder why...

There were 2 sets outstabled at Hayes Saturday night for Monday morning - they were originally meant to go on the 0619 Hayes - London but there were DOO monitor issues on coupling. I wasn't around for the solution but given there are presently only 10 4 cars available for traffic at present for 5 8 car diagrams I'm guessing it wasn't fixable so got swapped onto a Maidenhead circuit which can cope with short form better than Hayes circuits. Also allows a few hours tinkering time at West Ealing between peaks.

The 6 units at Maidenhead are stored and unavailable for traffic at present. Numerous outstanding construction issues with Sidings before they can be readily used at will.

leomartin125

There were 2 sets outstabled at Hayes Saturday night for Monday morning - they were originally meant to go on the 0619 Hayes - London but there were DOO monitor issues on coupling. I wasn't around for the solution but given there are presently only 10 4 cars available for traffic at present for 5 8 car diagrams I'm guessing it wasn't fixable so got swapped onto a Maidenhead circuit which can cope with short form better than Hayes circuits. Also allows a few hours tinkering time at West Ealing between peaks.

The 6 units at Maidenhead are stored and unavailable for traffic at present. Numerous outstanding construction issues with Sidings before they can be readily used at will.

Ahhh I see, thanks. I have been on a few H&H 387 services that were formed of 4 coaches before, but I know how busy the 1P morning peak 387's are from Maidenhead to Paddington and they really should have 8 coaches. Although what can't be possible on the day is fair enough.

wls1

Ahhh I see, thanks. I have been on a few H&H 387 services that were formed of 4 coaches before, but I know how busy the 1P morning peak 387's are from Maidenhead to Paddington and they really should have 8 coaches. Although what can't be possible on the day is fair enough.

I believe the 0742 from mai was a 5 car turbo and an 8 car 387 has a similar number of seats.

When they were first introduced in September last year the Hayes shuttles hardly had anyone on board. Now they're busy with 8 carriages.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
GWR Electrostars

I have been on them three times since the end of last week and every single one of them, have suffered from a kind of incessant rattle at the front of the carriage, on some of them worse than others, but on the one I took this morning I was in the second coach right at the front and there was a rattle from two different places! How can they be rattling already?

Generally can't say I'm a huge fan of these, why they are better than what they replaced and look beautiful in the livery and beautiful inside as well in comparison to what they replaced, I found the seat texture horrible (why not just flat fabric?) power sockets not working on two of the three trains I was on as well.

They're a good train, but certainly nothing special and the build quality seems usual Bombardier hit and miss.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Even 345005 has a little rattle at the far end I think. The S stock also rattled from new, which I think was caused by the advertisement boards. As a point of balance, I've also been on a 395 with some pretty dreadful rattling, and this was back when they were quite new (albeit not quite as new as the GWR 387s currently are).

Fincra5

Established Member
GWR Electrostars

I have been on them three times since the end of last week and every single one of them, have suffered from a kind of incessant rattle at the front of the carriage, on some of them worse than others, but on the one I took this morning I was in the second coach right at the front and there was a rattle from two different places! How can they be rattling already?

Generally can't say I'm a huge fan of these, why they are better than what they replaced and look beautiful in the livery and beautiful inside as well in comparison to what they replaced, I found the seat texture horrible (why not just flat fabric?) power sockets not working on two of the three trains I was on as well.

They're a good train, but certainly nothing special and the build quality seems usual Bombardier hit and miss.

Could be the gangway doors behind the cab doors (That are in use when units are joined). Or if you drive an Electrostar with the windows open the buffeting wind around the cab causes everything to rattle :D

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Could be the gangway doors behind the cab doors (That are in use when units are joined). Or if you drive an Electrostar with the windows open the buffeting wind around the cab causes everything to rattle :D

Since I was never in the front coach or near a cab, I doubt it, I was in coach 2 and 3 and 7 when I was in them and it was certainly in that coach it was coming from and no windows were open! :lol:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Most 357 rattles seem to come from the ceiling panels or the ones above the doors, there's a 25Hz (or so) vibration produced by the ventilation system that seems to produce it.

Fincra5

Established Member
Since I was never in the front coach or near a cab, I doubt it, I was in coach 2 and 3 and 7 when I was in them and it was certainly in that coach it was coming from and no windows were open! :lol:

Sorry I just assumed you were in the front coach. I don't think i've been on any train that doesn't have some kind of rattle loll.

spark001uk

Established Member
Just saw another pair getting dropped off at Maidenhead sidings from Reading TCD, think it was 57310 in charge.

EDIT : Just also seen ROG 37800 towing 387154 to Reading TCD.

Last edited:

leomartin125

Just saw another pair getting dropped off at Maidenhead sidings from Reading TCD, think it was 57310 in charge.

EDIT : Just also seen ROG 37800 towing 387154 to Reading TCD.

When I went passed yesterday evening I noticed an extra set on the far road furthest from the Main Lines. Does this make 32 carriages in total in Maidenhead Sidings now?

JN114

Established Member
When I went passed yesterday evening I noticed an extra set on the far road furthest from the Main Lines. Does this make 32 carriages in total in Maidenhead Sidings now?

Should be 4x 8 Car in storage at Maidenhead.

pacenotes

Extra trains started today from Maidenhead to Paddington. Not helped by a signal problem but a nice surprise this morning and everyone got a seat :)

wls1

I think about 2 of the sets broke down?

One had a door problem and ran 4v8 but unsure of the other?

sarahj

Established Member
Most 357 rattles seem to come from the ceiling panels or the ones above the doors, there's a 25Hz (or so) vibration produced by the ventilation system that seems to produce it.

On the 377's the metal panel above the door rattles like crazy as they are held by metal pins. Sometimes a folded ticket around/under the pin would do the trick.

spark001uk

Established Member
Does anyone happen to have a full list of the Maidenhead 387s from today by any chance? Not to worry if not, I'll look through RTT but it's a bit of a process!

JN114

Established Member
Does anyone happen to have a full list of the Maidenhead 387s from today by any chance? Not to worry if not, I'll look through RTT but it's a bit of a process!

They are noted in the published GWR timetable - book "E1", all trains with a lightning symbol in the header.

I think that it is the following trains;

2P06 0552 Maidenhead - Paddington
2P09 0621 Maidenhead - Paddington
1P92 0625 Maidenhead - Paddington
2P14 0656 Maidenhead - Paddington
2P17 0717 Maidenhead - Paddington
1P93 0732 Maidenhead - Paddington
1P94 0742 Maidenhead - Paddington
2P21 0751 Maidenhead - Paddington
2P28 0826 Maidenhead - Paddington
1P97 0842 Maidenhead - Paddington
2P32 0907 Maidenhead - Paddington