• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark001uk

Established Member
GN nos. 119/120 on test just viewed at Farringdon on 5Z87, pausing for the switch to DC.

Attachments

• 20170704_132035.jpg
    20170704_132035.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
GN nos. 119/120 on test just viewed at Farringdon on 5Z87, pausing for the switch to DC.

It has been suggested elsewhere that this is not test running, but is being done to turn units so that the first class position is standardised across the GN fleet.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It has been suggested elsewhere that this is not test running, but is being done to turn units so that the first class position is standardised across the GN fleet.
Or they could put first class at each end behind the cab and not worry! You know, to match the 365 layout...

☺️

spark001uk

Established Member
Well they are going out via snow hill and back round the WLL, so that would suggest the inclusion of a turn. But then at the same time that's not the only possible explanation I guess.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What services are these units going to work on GWR once electrification expands?
At least Newbury in 2019 and Didcot in 2018 to Paddington via Reading (shown on the interior maps). Oxford to Paddington when eventually wired.

TTA

For GWR do we know how many units are still to be delivered?

I wonder how soon we'll see the RDG to PAD stopping services start to use the 387s after the testing is complete in September.

I've had a few trips on the 387s now, and I really like em. The aircon works, good mix of airline seats and table seats, and much more luggage storage. The only negative is the slightly hard seats, but looking at them I imagine they will soften over time. At least they've opted for the darker fabric. That random 165/166 unit with the light coloured seats is horrific.

JN114

Established Member
They won't be in passenger service beyond Maidenhead until January - regardless of when the wires reach Reading.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Great PIS on the Great Northern 387s, really special how they have programmed that up when I was on one at Ely on Monday.

Welcome to this (pause) SERVICE to (pause) London Kings Cross Calling at.(long pause) Cambridge and London Kings Cross. The Next Stop is (silence)

Someone ought to record the word Great Northern and Cambridge North and whilst they're doing it, do it better than GA did on the 170s which appears to run a totally PIS system between Cambridge and Cambridge North and Cambridge North and Norwich.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
For GWR do we know how many units are still to be delivered?

About 20? Recent deliveries and test runs have been reported as units in the mid 50s, the full range will be 387130-174 I believe.

I suppose with this weeks newly introduced shoulder peak runs they need about 70-75% of those delivered in service now?

reddragon

Established Member
About 20? Recent deliveries and test runs have been reported as units in the mid 50s, the full range will be 387130-174 I believe.

I suppose with this weeks newly introduced shoulder peak runs they need about 70-75% of those delivered in service now?

387.130-155 delivered
387.156-159 on test
387.160-174 construction

last week I think

reddragon

Established Member
They won't be in passenger service beyond Maidenhead until January - regardless of when the wires reach Reading.

I assume that once the wires are checked and passed, then class 387s cleared west of Maidenhead, stock transfers & training can start?

I assume that the scale of change / driver training prevents adhoc use of 387s on Reading / Didcot locals before the agreed date, especially amidst IEP service introduction!

JN114

Established Member
I assume that once the wires are checked and passed, then class 387s cleared west of Maidenhead, stock transfers & training can start?

I assume that the scale of change / driver training prevents adhoc use of 387s on Reading / Didcot locals before the agreed date, especially amidst IEP service introduction!

Not heard either way.

On the one hand it would make perfect sense to stop the "dragging" of 387s from Reading to West Ealing or wherever. On the other hand, like virgin when the operated their 57s themselves they kept a small handful of routine drags to keep up handling knowledge for the small pool of drivers trained to do the drags; so you didn't end up with a situation requiring a unit to be dragged during disruption and there being no available driver. We'll have to wait and see for a formal answer but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it went either way.

There are paths and a unit diagram for Reading TCD (conn A) to Didcot and return driver handling. The issue is that he paths, and indeed wiring, only permit runs on/off the depot via Connection A; which limits it to Reading drivers. It does run occasionally; but with so many units in service now it's fairly easy to get traction training in on the Hayes circuits.

TTA

Shame they won't be used ad-hoc, like you say. But it'll be nice to see them running on test runs either way.

Cheers all for the delivery information, pretty good progress then!

Rich McLean

Established Member
The Oxford fasts and peak semi fasts will all be 800s, while the stoppers will be split, with 165 Oxford - Didcot shuttles (with Banbury Extensions) and 387s Didcot to PAD.

jimm

Established Member
The Oxford fasts and peak semi fasts will all be 800s

No, they won't be.

802s will also feature. Part of the initial 802 order was always intended to help cover the busiest peak Cotswold Line duties and the second batch of seven more nine-car 802s was ordered with the Oxford/Cotswold services in mind, to free up some five-car 800s to cover the Bedwyn services.

Jonny

Established Member
No, they won't be.

802s will also feature. Part of the initial 802 order was always intended to help cover the busiest peak Cotswold Line duties and the second batch of seven more nine-car 802s was ordered with the Oxford/Cotswold services in mind, to free up some five-car 800s to cover the Bedwyn services.

But they will still be Hitachi AT300/IEPs though...

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...while the stoppers will be split, with 165 Oxford - Didcot shuttles (with Banbury Extensions) and 387s Didcot to PAD.

Which is why I included the words "when eventually wired" in my earlier answer about the 387s. The split at Didcot is obviously a medium term work around, and at some stage the Didcot to Oxford leg of the stoppers will be 387s.

Mordac's original question was open ended, not limited to January 2018 as far as I can see...

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
Which is why I included the words "when eventually wired" in my earlier answer about the 387s. The split at Didcot is obviously a medium term work around, and at some stage the Didcot to Oxford leg of the stoppers will be 387s.

Mordac's original question was open ended, not limited to January 2018 as far as I can see...

That was correct, I meant in the assumption (which is perhaps slightly cavalier at this point) that the postponed parts of the electrification programme will proceed in CP6. Thanks for your answer by the way.

Established Member

Of course they could consider throwing in the 319 flex units at some point as an alternative to work the stoppers. Oh hang I forgot you carn't have old crap like that for the people of the Thame Valley they will need to go further North!

Last edited:

Established Member
Or even the D-train. Would look rather fetching in GWR green! ;) ;)

Yeh sure I think the point is the stoppers could worked as through train rather than a connecting shuttle to Didcot with the flex units. But of Course GWR may well be quite happy with current proposed arrangement, I guess the slower acceleration and lower top speed on electric compared to a 387 might be an issue.

Last edited:

jimm

Established Member
But they will still be Hitachi AT300/IEPs though...

That wasn't what was said in the post I was referring to, was it?

And the 802s are not part of the IEP order (ie the DfT-ordered fleet) either.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Of course they could consider throwing in the 319 flex units at some point as an alternative to work the stoppers. Oh hang I forgot you carn't have old crap like that for the people of the Thame Valley they will need to go further North!

Oi, don't tar us all with the same brush! Some of us were keenly awaiting the arrival of the 319s when it was first announced! 319s on AC power up the GWML, oh that would be fun. Same for the 365s, they were also being looked forward to for similar reasons.

387s have proved very popular though, including with myself. Free WiFi, air conditioning and power sockets, absolutely fantastic. The fact they don't sound so very dull as they did on DC power is also a bonus. I still don't think much of the voice they used for announcements on them, but then I didn't like the one on the 165s and 166s either.

Established Member
Oi, don't tar us all with the same brush! Some of us were keenly awaiting the arrival of the 319s when it was first announced! 319s on AC power up the GWML, oh that would be fun. Same for the 365s, they were also being looked forward to for similar reasons.

387s have proved very popular though, including with myself. Free WiFi, air conditioning and power sockets, absolutely fantastic. The fact they don't sound so very dull as they did on DC power is also a bonus. I still don't think much of the voice they used for announcements on them, but then I didn't like the one on the 165s and 166s either.

The GWR 387's are excellent, just a pity that the electrification project is such a shambles and the complete farce of them not being able to get to Oxford for quite some time.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The GWR 387's are excellent, just a pity that the electrification project is such a shambles and the complete farce of them not being able to get to Oxford for quite some time.

It is a shame, but what can we do? It's happened, simple as, and nothing can be done about it now. One day they'll get there!

As for the 319s, if you lot up north don't want them I'd personally be very glad to have them back!

SprinterMan

Established Member
Just been informed that all GN 387s should now be facing the same direction, but with 1st class at the north end of the train!

Adam :)

jimm

Established Member

That there will be a period when the semi-fasts can't reach Oxford is regrettable, but out in the real world, the fact is that those trains empty out and refill to a large degree at Didcot.

Interchange between 387s and shuttle Turbos there should be cross-platform, so not a major inconvenience to the limited number of passengers travelling on through Didcot most of the day.

The need to have Turbos covering Oxford-Didcot has already had one benefit, with the recent extension of the morning Cotswold Line halts train through from Oxford, which is welcome for people from West Oxfordshire working around Didcot at places like the Milton Park business estate and Harwell science campus, removing a rather long wait at Oxford for a Didcot connection.

Better direct services between Didcot and Banbury are also likely to result. For two sizeable towns and employment centres about 40 miles apart, the current number of direct services is very limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.