• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Is there no acoustic insulation they can put around it ?

If I was a passenger who knew nothing about trains, i'd be very worried about a noise of that volume. Definitely doesn't sound right.

I do wonder how many times passengers tell guards/drivers they've heard a loud noise like something has broken on the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spark001uk

Established Member
Is there no acoustic insulation they can put around it ?

If I was a passenger who knew nothing about trains, i'd be very worried about a noise of that volume. Definitely doesn't sound right.

I do wonder how many times passengers tell guards/drivers they've heard a loud noise like something has broken on the train.

Not really avoidable I'm afraid, even if it were with insulation. VCBs use a vacuum to force the contacts apart, it takes a lot of effort to break traction current without it arcing like a barsteward.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Not really avoidable I'm afraid, even if it were with insulation. VCBs use a vacuum to force the contacts apart, it takes a lot of effort to break traction current without it arcing like a barsteward.

Fair enough, but any idea why is it louder on this class compared to 365 or even 313. They all have VCBs taking in the same voltage ?

D365

Veteran Member
Fair enough, but any idea why is it louder on this class compared to 365 or even 313. They all have VCBs taking in the same voltage ?

My guess is due to the higher power demand of the Electrostar unit.

FGW_DID

Established Member
387157+158 delivered to West Ealing today (originally booked as Reading TCD), 37800 in charge but failed shortly after leaving Bletchley, train rescued and brought to Ealing by 47813.

Not quite - the delivery is for Reading, the train was recessed in West Ealing for a replacement loco (57310) to be sourced as the batteries on the 37 were still required to run the braking system on the 387s, and couldn't be relied upon any longer with the engine not running.

5Q74 has now departed West Ealing 338L

387157 & 158 finally arrived at Reading TCD behind 57310, 363 late!

47813 & 37800 had split from the consist at West Ealing and was recovering to Leicester.

57310 then ran light to the Oak as 0F70.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I caught a GN 387 from KGX to ELY, it was insanely rough and you could feel every bump thanks to the awful Fainsa seats, but the acceleration was very impressive.

Riding them most days, I'm convinced overall they're a minute or two quicker on a fast run from Royston to Kings Cross than a 365. Arriving early and waiting time is much more common in both directions.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
387157+158 delivered to West Ealing today (originally booked as Reading TCD), 37800 in charge but failed shortly after leaving Bletchley, train rescued and brought to Ealing by 47813.

I overtook them as they were being rescued - it was on the Up Slow between Ledburn Jn and Cheddington. Plenty of spotters on the platform at Cheddington enjoying the scene.

Fincra5

Established Member
It looks like this weekends blockade of Reading (starting today at 14:00), where trains from London terminate at Maidenhead, is allowing GWR to run the 387's this weekend.

Actually looking at Realtime trains http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/MAI/2017/09/16/1500-1900?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt it looks like only 387s on the mainline west of Airport Junction

If you got enough you might as well. Saves on fuel and maintenance. And I suppose it gives more driving experience.

silverfoxcc

Apologies if this covers an earlier post. I took my first ride on a unit a few weeks ago to/from Paddington frpm Maidenhead and the train announcers voice drove me to distraction. Anybody else find it grating?

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
Apologies if this covers an earlier post. I took my first ride on a unit a few weeks ago to/from Paddington frpm Maidenhead and the train announcers voice drove me to distraction. Anybody else find it grating?

Same as is used on all other GWR stock that's auto-announcer fitted.

Quark999

The 165/166 have a new slightly less annoying voice now, but the 387 is still on the old weather announcer voice. Don’t know why that is but I’m sure it was discussed here at some point. Yes, it is incredibly annoying - not only is the intonation wholly inappropriate, it also sounds like she is going to break into laughter at any moment and more importantly the GWR announcements are more waffly than ever. “Don’t board the train while the doors are closing.” “Don’t play with the naked flame while running in your underpants”. Stuff like that...

pacenotes

Thought I was going mad a few weeks ago when I seen a 387 to Twyford but seen it again this morning, Is it a service to Twyford or do you have to change at Maidenhead?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I miss Faye on the turbos so much!!! I love her cringey voice! That's it, I'm going on a GW 387 just to hear it again!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Thought I was going mad a few weeks ago when I seen a 387 to Twyford but seen it again this morning, Is it a service to Twyford or do you have to change at Maidenhead?

Not in passenger service, perhaps a test train?

FGW_DID

Established Member
The furthest the 387s go past Maidenhead Station (under their own power) is the Maidenhead stabling sidings!

leomartin125

It's true, the 387's only go as far as the stabling sidings, for now. I had a similar situation at Maidenhead yesterday, just as I exited the station on my way home I saw a double 387 set come flying through at what must be over 60 mph heading in the Reading direction, immediatley I was quite confused as to what's going on. Looked the service up on the diagram and it was 37800 taking 387162 and 387163 to Reading TCD from Bletchley, can't believe I didn't realise the sound of that 37!

leomartin125

It's true, the 387's only go as far as the stabling sidings, for now. I had a similar situation at Maidenhead yesterday, just as I exited the station on my way home I saw a double 387 set come flying through at what must be over 60 mph heading in the Reading direction, immediatley I was quite confused as to what's going on. Looked the service up on the diagram and it was 37800 taking 387162 and 387163 to Reading TCD from Bletchley, can't believe I didn't realise the sound of that 37!

What you may have seen could have been one of the common drags that operates regularly between Reading TCD and West Ealing EMU Sdgs, operated by DRS 57310.

Bigchris

Day one question I'm afraid but I'll be down south and taking a trip out of Paddington as far as Tilehurst next week, the first time I've travelled that line in about 10 years! Other than Maidenhead and Reading depot, are there any other spots along that line where the currently out of use 387s are parked up? Just deciding whether to get an HST and change at Reading or get the stopper so I can see anything thats parked on route.

Filton Bank

Day one question I'm afraid but I'll be down south and taking a trip out of Paddington as far as Tilehurst next week, the first time I've travelled that line in about 10 years! Other than Maidenhead and Reading depot, are there any other spots along that line where the currently out of use 387s are parked up? Just deciding whether to get an HST and change at Reading or get the stopper so I can see anything thats parked on route.

West Ealing, by Plassers.

FGW_DID

Established Member
As well as the above mentioned (Reading TCD, Maidenhead CS & West Ealing LMD) there are a couple of 387s at Old Oak (160 & 161).

spark001uk

Established Member
There was a GWR class 387 parked up in Didcot Yard yesterday - anyone know what it was doing there?
Test runs have been taking place on the Reading - Didcot section I believe. Although where exactly was it in the yard, and is any of it even electrified? Sorry haven't been over there lately so not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.