• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sc597

Not specific to you in the slightest - just seems to be a general obsession with keeping the 365s...
Ha! I am obsessed with keeping the 365s!

Anyway, tonight once again my end of peak service using a 387 skipped my unmanned station because of the door cameras not working. Attempts to fix at KGX before departure were not successful. Is this a common issue as I've experienced it several times over the past six months or so?

APUK002

As above, 387s do not go over 100mph on GN. The fact they can do 110mph is (at the moment at least!) irrelevant.

The one benefit they do have over 365s is that they have SDO, although with the gangway doors between units locked out of use it's not gone down very well.
That subject again!, hit and miss,sometime gangway open other times not

spark001uk

Established Member
Oh dear, 387146 on the dirt this morning then. Not good. From the pics I've seen it looks like it went through a set of trap points (on the up relief?), either near hanwell loop or the entrance to w.ealing sdgs? Anyone narrow that down a bit?

Nippy

Already being discussed elsewhere, but it passed the exit signal at the west end of West Ealing No1 Loop

spark001uk

Established Member
Ever so slightly OT, sorry, but just passed Reading TCD, and behind all the 387s, on the rearmost road, I swear I just saw what looks like an old thameslink 319?? Was definitely white with blue doors.

sd0733

Established Member
A quick question:

Is there any news if C2C are going to have 387307 to 320 in the future, or has that plan been shelved/cancelled?
Bombardier held an event after 387174 was built as it was the last electrostar off the production line so no 387s will be built again

samuelmorris

Established Member
A quick question:

Is there any news if C2C are going to have 387307 to 320 in the future, or has that plan been shelved/cancelled?
I believe the extra units went to GWR, they were never intended to go to C2C. The option was for 20 /3 units, but it was converted into extra /1s for GWR instead.
As stated, the next units on c2c will be 711s, due probably around 2021-2022.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Do the 6 x 387 with c2c remain as an ongoing micro-fleet, or does the upcoming delivery include replacements?

IIRC the original announcements were that they would be only a 3 year stopgap, so I’m surprised no one has earmarked them for a new home yet...

Last edited:

samuelmorris

Established Member
Do the 6 x 387 with c2c remain as an ongoing micro-fleet, or does the upcoming delivery include replacements?

IIRC the original announcements were that they would be only a 3 year stopgap, so I’m surprised no one has earmarked them for a new home yet...
The 387/3s will be withdrawn when the 711s arrive. As far as I know there's no earmarked home for them yet. They will presumably end up being merged with the GN or GX fleet.

JN114

Established Member
The 387/3s will be withdrawn when the 711s arrive. As far as I know there's no earmarked home for them yet. They will presumably end up being merged with the GN or GX fleet.

Or GW to make up for the units lost to HEX...

samuelmorris

Established Member
I was under the impression GWR didn't actually need as many units as originally provided due to Crossrail but yes that's also a possibility. Either way, I think the outcome of them going anywhere where there aren't already 387s is the least likely.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Once Crossrail taken over the stopping services between Reading & Paddington, the number of GWR 387s required should decrease.

Although it does make sense for the 6x 387/3s to head to GWR or Gatwick Express (or even Great Northern)

cactustwirly

Established Member
Once Crossrail taken over the stopping services between Reading & Paddington, the number of GWR 387s required should decrease.

Although it does make sense for the 6x 387/3s to head to GWR or Gatwick Express (or even Great Northern)

But Crossrail isn't scheduled to open until after 2020 now!

Even though Crossrail itself isn't opening, is there any particular reason why the current 4tph Paddington(high level) - Reading stopping service cannot be transferred to TFL in the same way that Paddington - Hayes & Harlington was? I appreciate that would mean splitting the Didcot service at Reading

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Even though Crossrail itself isn't opening, is there any particular reason why the current 4tph Paddington(high level) - Reading stopping service cannot be transferred to TFL in the same way that Paddington - Hayes & Harlington was? I appreciate that would mean splitting the Didcot service at Reading
TfL are looking into doing just that, it’s mentioned in their latest business plan and in our Crossrail thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...until-autumn-2019.169160/page-13#post-3775546

On Moderation
HEX sets are not “lost” they are available because NR under-electrified/GWR over-ordered.

If electrification spreads to Oxford (as it really should) then an extra 6 387s would be ideal to resource it.

cactustwirly

Established Member
HEX sets are not “lost” they are available because NR under-electrified/GWR over-ordered.

If electrification spreads to Oxford (as it really should) then an extra 6 387s would be ideal to resource it.

Except that all of the 387s are required until Crossrail opens in 2020...

samuelmorris

Established Member
Except that all of the 387s are required until Crossrail opens in 2020...
The 387/3s won't be surplus from C2C until after that time though - 711s will be the last Aventras to arrive, the whole Anglia, South Western and West Midlands fleets have to come before them yet, never mind the Overground units that haven't entered service yet.

spark001uk

Established Member
I'm curious - how much do the standard 387 seats cost compared to those in the Stansted 379s? Would it have been a lot of difference? Just wondered how much more it would've cost per unit to have been made with those. Assuming they're interchangeable.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I'm curious - how much do the standard 387 seats cost compared to those in the Stansted 379s? Would it have been a lot of difference? Just wondered how much more it would've cost per unit to have been made with those. Assuming they're interchangeable.
Are they still regulations compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.