• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ian91007

387302/306/304 formed
1G81 0708 Shoeburyness to London Fenchurch Street this morning
nice little surprise when they rolled in at Southend East

Ian

leomartin125

GWR Class 387130 and 387131 are now both sat in the Traincare depot sidings, presumably the maintenance has now been complete and they are waiting for a drag home to North Pole. May well be returning this week.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Couldn't have been a GA 379? Dark Blue and Dark Green doors probably look similar under certain lighting conditions.

I know what you mean. It was very well lit so I suspect the interior lighting of the shed could have had a significant enough effect on the apparent colouring.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Is it the 17:13 & 17:43 Fenchurch to Leigh-on-Sea services in the evening peak which are 387s?

Or 17:43 & 17:46? (Can't remember which way round)

spark001uk

Established Member
GWR Class 387130 and 387131 are now both sat in the Traincare depot sidings, presumably the maintenance has now been complete and they are waiting for a drag home to North Pole. May well be returning this week.

I noticed when I passed that the pans are down too. Is there no 50p in the meter yet, or was that just in readiness for their return drag I wonder?

JN114

Established Member
I noticed when I passed that the pans are down too. Is there no 50p in the meter yet, or was that just in readiness for their return drag I wonder?

The units are stabled, no need for the pans to be up.

chris11256

Is it the 17:13 & 17:43 Fenchurch to Leigh-on-Sea services in the evening peak which are 387s?

Or 17:43 & 17:46? (Can't remember which way round)

Currently its the 17:16 to Shoeburyness and the 17:43 to Leigh.

The 387 allocations might/will change when the new timetable starts on the 9th of January

leomartin125

There is 50p in the meter. All movements in the depot now are under AC wires for the 387's. I think the wires were turned on 16th December, as published in the December issue of 'Western Lines'. The pantograph is most likely down in preparation for the return drag, like you said.

Last edited:

FGW_DID

Established Member
The pans are down as, JN114 has correctly pointed out, they are stabled. If you had passed by today at about 1700, you would have seen pans up and the units moving.

The proverbial 50p was put in the meter on Dec 4th, however since then there has been a fair number of full section isolations in force so there has been a blanket 'block to electric traction' in place.
This obviously hasn't helped when it comes to getting the 387s into the shed for work to be carried out. Bear in mind we are still carrying out servicing & maintenance for a full turbo fleet, nothing has cascaded yet.

spark001uk

Established Member
The pans are down as, JN114 has correctly pointed out, they are stabled. If you had passed by today at about 1700, you would have seen pans up and the units moving.

The proverbial 50p was put in the meter on Dec 4th, however since then there has been a fair number of full section isolations in force so there has been a blanket 'block to electric traction' in place.
This obviously hasn't helped when it comes to getting the 387s into the shed for work to be carried out. Bear in mind we are still carrying out servicing & maintenance for a full turbo fleet, nothing has cascaded yet.

Busy busy then! I knew the section to DID was live as they've been testing IEP on the wires a while now haven't they.

spark001uk

Established Member
Slightly OT but is there a set date when the Acton dive-under enters passenger use yet?

JN114

Established Member
Slightly OT but is there a set date when the Acton dive-under enters passenger use yet?

The only "date" given is January 2017, nothing more specific than that. There have been some very minor issues in the Christmas possessions (although nothing that will likely lead to an overrun), it may be that certain, non-essential bits of the new layout - such as the Acton Relief - may have been further deferred to protect critical works.

I should caution at this stage, that it will be hit and miss as to what trains use it - its only purpose is to resolve conflicts between services on the Up Relief and those coming out of Acton Yard. It won't be a case of 1A01 and 2B02 are "booked" to use it, it will just be used as required to de-conflict Acton West on an ad-hoc basis.

Last edited:

Nippy

I'm pretty sure the plan eventually is for all passenger trains using it on the Up Relief. It is meant to be commissioned over this Christmas block. The only work that I am aware that's been cancelled was the Acton Plainline Relay job

Last edited:

JN114

Established Member
I'm pretty sure all passenger trains are booked to use it. It is meant to be commissioned over this Christmas block. The only work that I am aware that's been cancelled was the Acton Plainline Relay job

Our latest briefing was "works at Acton" - it hadn't drilled down that far so thanks =)

Also wasn't aware RE everything booked via Acton Relief, guess there won't be much, if any, of a time loss using it if they're planning it that way - I shall defer graciously to your greater knowledge.

I saw a post asking about 387s and Hanwell the other day, meant to reply but didn't get round to it. Supposedly the issues preventing them calling are also to be resolved over Christmas, but they won't see regular timetabled use at Hanwell for at least the current timetabled period.

QueensCurve

Established Member
22x and Electrostars are different coupling heights, it was a problem found when initially trialling former West Coast "thunderbirds" down south.

You couldn't make it up!

Surely someone can come up with at least a national standard for coupling. It would seem ripe territory for a TSI.

SWT_USER

Our latest briefing was "works at Acton" - it hadn't drilled down that far so thanks =)

Also wasn't aware RE everything booked via Acton Relief, guess there won't be much, if any, of a time loss using it if they're planning it that way - I shall defer graciously to your greater knowledge.

I saw a post asking about 387s and Hanwell the other day, meant to reply but didn't get round to it. Supposedly the issues preventing them calling are also to be resolved over Christmas, but they won't see regular timetabled use at Hanwell for at least the current timetabled period.

Thanks for the reply RE Hanwell. Wasn't expecting any service improvement immediately as GWR have no interest in serving the station but will be useful to be able for them to stop there when HC is disrupted.

Any prospect of 4tph at Hanwell from the May timetable change do you know?

JN114

Established Member
Thanks for the reply RE Hanwell. Wasn't expecting any service improvement immediately as GWR have no interest in serving the station but will be useful to be able for them to stop there when HC is disrupted.

Speaking personally (with my company hat very much off here!), I'd say it's unlikely.

The Hayes shuttles are timed very tightly, I suspect the additional call each way would prevent the round trip being done within the hour (at least reliably). When the 387s start going beyond Hayes in the off peak (hopefully next December), then we might see Hanwell 4tph. Until then it will likely remain 2tph. If not I believe it is a committed improvement under crossrail, so that would be from May 2018 when they're due to take over Heathrow Connect paths. Little comfort promising Jam tomorrow I know, but that's realistically when I see the improvements coming.

The inner Thames Valley train service contingency plans are being reviewed currently (in light of all-day 387 services), and representations have been made as to ensuring the likes of Hanwell, West Ealing and Acton get served when the infrastructure allows. Whether improvements come out of that remains to be seen, but I can but pressurise and hope...

SF-02

Hanwell has seen more than a doubling of passengers in the past 5 years. And that's with pretty high fare evasion so I would've thought real numbers are greater.

Last edited:

SWT_USER

Speaking personally (with my company hat very much off here!), I'd say it's unlikely.

The Hayes shuttles are timed very tightly, I suspect the additional call each way would prevent the round trip being done within the hour (at least reliably). When the 387s start going beyond Hayes in the off peak (hopefully next December), then we might see Hanwell 4tph. Until then it will likely remain 2tph. If not I believe it is a committed improvement under crossrail, so that would be from May 2018 when they're due to take over Heathrow Connect paths. Little comfort promising Jam tomorrow I know, but that's realistically when I see the improvements coming.

The inner Thames Valley train service contingency plans are being reviewed currently (in light of all-day 387 services), and representations have been made as to ensuring the likes of Hanwell, West Ealing and Acton get served when the infrastructure allows. Whether improvements come out of that remains to be seen, but I can but pressurise and hope...

Thanks. I'm a real loser in all this as I live half way between Drayton Green and Hanwell so have effectively had my service halved. Every time I've tried to make the connection at West Ealing I've missed it due to late running so have given up on it now.

JN114

Established Member

By way of confirmation, the relevant briefing was issued today - permitting 387s to call at Hanwell in daylight hours only effective 3rd Jan 2017.

Further (unspecified) issues prevent calling during darkness (suspected to be station lighting / DOO equipment related) are due to be rectified in Autumn 2017.

Banana

By way of confirmation, the relevant briefing was issued today - permitting 387s to call at Hanwell in daylight hours only effective 3rd Jan 2017.

Further (unspecified) issues prevent calling during darkness (suspected to be station lighting / DOO equipment related) are due to be rectified in Autumn 2017.

What is the specific issue with Hanwell? And how come it doesn't apply to HEX? Thanks.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

Opened yesterday I believe ;)
Currently there are a number of restrictions, all freight and 332 units are barred. Also the default route remains via the UR on the surface, you'll only get sent under the diveunder if there is a conflicting route set out of Acton Yard.

spark001uk

Established Member
Opened yesterday I believe ;)
Currently there are a number of restrictions, all freight and 332 units are barred. Also the default route remains via the UR on the surface, you'll only get sent under the diveunder if there is a conflicting route set out of Acton Yard.

Ye cheers I found out today, been under it a couple of times, in a turbo and a 387. I've been up and down the line on a rover most of the day and keeping an eye on the live diagram and quite a lot was being sent under it, conflict or not.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Ye cheers I found out today, been under it a couple of times, in a turbo and a 387. I've been up and down the line on a rover most of the day and keeping an eye on the live diagram and quite a lot was being sent under it, conflict or not.

Lol sorry for replying to an old post, had a bit of a senile moment. Brainfail!

Status
Not open for further replies.