• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 43 disposals

1Q18

43285 is out on it’s first operational shift for Colas today, 1Q46 0852 Derby RTC-Derby RTC, with 43257 and the Network Rail PLPR2 set.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ST156

Ex-LNER/EMR 43295 has left Ely by road for Great Yarmouth. Expected to join the next batch of power cars / Mk3s going to Mexico.

Attachments

• 43295.jpg
    43295.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
There's been about 40 Mark 3s at Great Yarmouth since the latter part of last year.
Ah okay, that's where they've all gone then. Wonder if the ROSCOs regret sending them to the chopper now
I think the castle MK3s are there.
I was hoping First Hull Trains would have their 22xs delayed and use those on their Sheffield to London service :lol:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I was hoping First Hull Trains would have their 22xs delayed and use those on their Sheffield to London service :lol:
They’re not in a very nice condition at all. The ones I was unfortunate enough to get out of Cardiff vice IET were always so worn inside. And the plugs never worked.

They’re not in a very nice condition at all. The ones I was unfortunate enough to get out of Cardiff vice IET were always so worn inside. And the plugs never worked.
I can imagine. After seeing 125 Preservations pre-restoration Mk3s on the inside it doesn't seem like they're looked after at Ely at all, makes you wonder what the point of storing them is if they're not going to be maintained at all.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I can imagine. After seeing 125 Preservations pre-restoration Mk3s on the inside it doesn't seem like they're looked after at Ely at all, makes you wonder what the point of storing them is if they're not going to be maintained at all.
Exactly. Now bear in mind I was referring to them as not being very nice while still in passenger service. I dread to think what the ones at Ely are like now.

Exactly. Now bear in mind I was referring to them as not being very nice while still in passenger service. I dread to think what the ones at Ely are like now.
I'm sure others will know more but I'm not even entirely sure why what was left at Ely was left in the first place, I'd of imagined they'd be scrapping rakes in batches (ish) but I remember them having several TGS and Buffet carriages which I doubt are of particular use ? (Vs TF and TS)

More on the topic of HST disposals, does anyone know what the current status of 43300 is? Is it still sat in that yard? I'm incredibly surprised it hasn't been binned off by now.

Towers

Established Member
Yet they still provided a blissfully quiet interior ambience and rode in a smooth manner than modern train designers clearly have no grasp of! ;)

The_Train

Established Member
Do you mean the power sockets?
No, they come with free plugs now as well ;)

In all seriousness, I can honestly say that my experience of the Castle sets is the complete opposite of the above member who sees anything built pre-2010 as the devil. Every time I have travelled on them, sockets have worked, the carriages have been clean and as is always the case with Mk3's it has been a smoother and more comfortable way to travel. But each to their own, if you like a ride that is similar to constantly driving through potholes sat on top of a diesel engine then I guess you would prefer the modern CAF fleets :D

Towers

Established Member

In all seriousness, I can honestly say that my experience of the Castle sets is the complete opposite of the above member who sees anything built pre-2010 as the devil. Every time I have travelled on them, sockets have worked, the carriages have been clean and as is always the case with Mk3's it has been a smoother and more comfortable way to travel. But each to their own, if you like a ride that is similar to constantly driving through potholes sat on top of a diesel engine then I guess you would prefer the modern CAF fleets :D
Agreed! :D

I've yet to travel on them, so set aside my Mk3 bias (I miss the creaky noise they'd make when leaving stations!!)
I think a trip to the south-west is in order sooner rather than later...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
In all seriousness, I can honestly say that my experience of the Castle sets is the complete opposite of the above member who sees anything built pre-2010 as the devil. :D
Sorry, you don’t need to refer to me in that unfavourable way, lol. As it happens, if I were to name my favourite trains it would be the 390, 222, 221, 220, 175 and IC225, all of which are very much pre-2010, so that falls flat. It’s not about age or an agenda, it’s about the worn, tired feel of the interior that I personally have noticed. ;) I do dislike it when people try and make me out to be evil simply because I’ve given honest criticism about a train they like.

Moving on, there can’t be many coaches left in the country in FGW Dynamic Lines now, surely? I’d say of all the MK3s, these are the ones that hold the most nostalgia for me.

Don't forget that you could head north (of the border) for a HST with Scotrail.
On the list also!
Moving on, there can’t be many coaches left in the country in FGW Dynamic Lines now, surely? I’d say of all the MK3s, these are the ones that hold the most nostalgia for me.
I think LSL own some for brake testing purposes? Forget where they're stored at though

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I've yet to travel on them, so set aside my Mk3 bias (I miss the creaky noise they'd make when leaving stations!!)
I think a trip to the south-west is in order sooner rather than later...
Do you mean the gentle and soporific hisses and sighs as the bogies glide over the pointwork ?
I still distinctly remember my last trip on an XC HST some four or five years ago. Got on 1V44 at New St, rode to Exeter, and the glide down the recently brand new track from Filton to Doctor Days Jn was just perfect. This indicated to me that both train and track were in faultless condition , each complementing the other, and the pinnacle of rail ride in the UK.

The_Train

Established Member
Sorry, you don’t need to refer to me in that unfavourable way, lol. As it happens, if I were to name my favourite trains it would be the 390, 222, 221, 220, 175 and IC225, all of which are very much pre-2010, so that falls flat. It’s not about age or an agenda, it’s about the worn, tired feel of the interior that I personally have noticed. ;) I do dislike it when people try and make me out to be evil simply because I’ve given honest criticism about a train they like.
It was a joke, not everything in this hobby has to be 100% serious. I genuinely couldn't care less about your opinion, it is your own and you have a right to it!

Do you mean the gentle and soporific hisses and sighs as the bogies glide over the pointwork ?
I still distinctly remember my last trip on an XC HST some four or five years ago. Got on 1V44 at New St, rode to Exeter, and the glide down the recently brand new track from Filton to Doctor Days Jn was just perfect. This indicated to me that both train and track were in faultless condition , each complementing the other, and the pinnacle of rail ride in the UK.
I think so. I seem to recall LNER HSTs as they left stations having a groan and creaking noise in the doorway areas.

Anyone know when Ely is meant to be cleared out..? Those powercars can't have much of a future left surely? (The condition of 206/006 and 112/312 is particularly bad apparently)

43312 has left Ely by road apparently heading for Great Yarmouth today.

Edit: I've seen pictures of 43206 also on a low loader, both bound for Yarmouth but no confirmation of where they're headed yet.

Last edited:

St. Paddy

43312 has left Ely by road apparently heading for Great Yarmouth today.

Edit: I've seen pictures of 43206 also on a low loader, both bound for Yarmouth but no confirmation of where they're headed yet.
According to Richard Clinnick, 43319 &43238 are moving today to be followed by 43027 on Monday

Gonzalez

So, I understand a number of sets had been sent to Nigeria around the same time as the ones sent to Mexico, but haven't news about them since. I wonder if they're still in voyage or probably stuck somewhere?

On Moderation
So, I understand a number of sets had been sent to Nigeria around the same time as the ones sent to Mexico, but haven't news about them since. I wonder if they're still in voyage or probably stuck somewhere?
The Nigerian vehicles were unloaded some time ago in Lagos.

Robin Procter

The Nigerian vehicles were unloaded some time ago in Lagos.
.... :lol::lol::lol: Some things unloaded in Lagos are never seen again! They get spirited away. I speak from direct experience. Mind you, a large and heavy railway vehicle might be more difficult to make disappear.

D365

Veteran Member
.... :lol::lol::lol: Some things unloaded in Lagos are never seen again! They get spirited away. I speak from direct experience. Mind you, a large and heavy railway vehicle might be more difficult to make disappear.
Did the export 140s and 141s ever get fully tracked down?