• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

pompeyfan

Established Member
Do you think it is likely to be mainly overnight running now, because there were a lot of afternoon paths in RTT at one stage.

i would imagine they want to get the miles up before they allow them out during the day. They’d also presumably want something that can rescue the stock nearby.

Bessie

That was a good start. Test service was cancelled. Does anyone know the reason why?

DavidGrain

Established Member
I see the overnight test runs to Fareham were cancelled again last night. If they now have 4 units at Eastleigh surely some must be servicable.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I see the overnight test runs to Fareham were cancelled again last night. If they now have 4 units at Eastleigh surely some must be servicable.
I’ve stopped looking over the last few days, but if RTT is correct with all the cancellations I don’t think the 484s have been out much at all since first reported.

DelW

Established Member
What's the betting that the upgrade of the line is done by mid May but the trains aren't ready by then?

I’ve stopped looking over the last few days, but if RTT is correct with all the cancellations I don’t think the 484s have been out much at all since first reported.
Even if it was started now, is three weeks long enough to carry out the necessary testing and/or fault-free running, and get the units shipped to the island? It must be getting very tight already.

spark001uk

Established Member
I'd be surprised if they took passengers in May. June maybe? They have to finish the infrastructure work first, then presumably some amount of testing/training will have to take place on the island, and delivery of further units.

Gloster

Established Member
Purely from observation and oddments that I have picked up, I wonder if the aim is to get the infrastructure south of St Johns Road completed first. It will then be available for training, mileage accumulation, etc., while the infrastructure work is carried out on the section north to Pier Head.

spark001uk

Established Member
Just out of interest how many drivers/guards are there to train? Can't be many?

DavidGrain

Established Member
The crews would have to do route learning before they could do traction learning on the mainland. It would depend on timing.

TEW

Established Member
The crews would have to do route learning before they could do traction learning on the mainland. It would depend on timing.
Not necessarily, it's not unheard of for traction training to take place on a route crews don't actually sign.

AMD

Indeed, as long as the instructor is route and traction trained. I've been well off my signed routes before during training, which makes the day more interesting.

Philip 34002

I am wondering if their is a gauging issue with the 484 units on the main land. As I un

I am wondering if their is a gauging issue with the 484 units on the main land. As I un
As I understand the main land Cl 230 sets have packing installed to raise the carboy as reported in this thread on the 10 Dec 20. This has been installed, I understand, to provide clearances with platforms. The IoW 484 vehicles don't have this additional packing, and thus the nominal height of the carbody above rail level of these sets is the same as they were when they operated on LU lines. Hence there may be a gauging issue with platforms, and before this issue can be resolved, is possibly a reason why the units are not been tested on the main land.

PS The note that I sent earlier today was truncated for some unknown reason!!

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
This is probably why they're not being tested:

Train issues delay Island Line reopening​

Tuesday 27th April 2021
South Western Railway is disappointed to announce that, due to challenges with the delivery of the new fleet of class 484 trains, the reopening of the Island Line will be delayed.
Rolling stock manufacturer Vivarail had been set to deliver all the trains to the Island well before Easter, but complex software issues mean the fully refurbished trains are yet to be delivered. As soon as the trains can be delivered to the Island, SWR can begin the extensive process of operational testing, safety assurance and training required to bring them into service.
As a result, it is with regret that we will have to push back the reopening of the Island Line to later this summer. Given the complexity of the challenges we face, primarily with the software on the trains, it is too early to provide a firm date.
SWR and Vivarail are now conducting a full review to build a strong programme in which all parties can have confidence and will provide further updates on that programme in due course.
In the meantime, SWR is committed to keeping customers on the Island moving and has today pledged to double the capacity of the rail replacement bus service from 17 May, to match the capacity of the previously expected rail timetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.