• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 484 replacing class 483 on the island line: progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Meerkat

Established Member
Apart from enthusiasts travelling on the cheapest tickets they can find, just how many tourists do the current trains attract?

When I have been on the line the passengers seemed to be at least a quarter tourists, increasing to most on one service.
It might be a small gain (each change is a chance for free publicity for a start) but it’s still better unless you can explain the gain in having boring corporate liveries.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When I have been on the line the passengers seemed to be at least a quarter tourists, increasing to most on one service.
It might be a small gain (each change is a chance for free publicity for a start) but it’s still better unless you can explain the gain in having boring corporate liveries.

While it seems this hasn't been done to the Marston Vale units, naming them and giving them a relevant graphical inset in the livery would work quite well while keeping the corporate style. They could perhaps be named after Island attractions or famous people.

By "inset" I mean this kind of thing:
post-5891-0-95453900-1528459204.jpg

Model of Northern Class 158 showing promotional "inset" type livery

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The fleets have been getting smaller since electrification- the original "standard stock" based Class 485/486 4-VEC/3-TIS fleet effectively was six seven carriage trains (though with about a carriage or so of that being motor compartment) - 42 carriages (and a spare!). Replaced with 9x483, all two car units, just 18 carriages (plus two more carriages for parts). And now just 5 two car 484, ten carriages total.

Chris125

Established Member
The fleets have been getting smaller since electrification- the original "standard stock" based Class 485/486 4-VEC/3-TIS fleet effectively was six seven carriage trains (though with about a carriage or so of that being motor compartment) - 42 carriages (and a spare!). Replaced with 9x483, all two car units, just 18 carriages (plus two more carriages for parts). And now just 5 two car 484, ten carriages total.

They had 9 but they weren't all needed even with the pier shuttle, as the regular 20min service was soon scrapped and it even went hourly in the Winter for a time, with the fleet quickly shrinking (005 went in 94, 003 in 95 and 001 in 96).

I'm not even sure the Ryde-Shanklin service was ever worked by more than four 483s, but happy to be corrected.

Last edited:

Rick1984

I think a
By "inset" I mean this kind of thing:
post-5891-0-95453900-1528459204.jpg

Model of Northern Class 158 showing promotional "inset" type livery
That could work quite well. Carisbroke Castle, Osbourne house and the Needles spring to mind. You could do them in a shilloute in the white space in the same dark blue as rest of carriage.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I think a

That could work quite well. Carisbroke Castle, Osbourne house and the Needles spring to mind. You could do them in a shilloute in the white space in the same dark blue as rest of carriage.
Agreed, that could work. It could always be added to the livery retrospectively. As long we don't have dinosaur or faux LT livery!

Meerkat

Established Member
What was wrong with the dinosaur livery? Got plenty of exposure for both the trains and the island.

Goldfish62

Established Member
What was wrong with the dinosaur livery? Got plenty of exposure for both the trains and the island.
Turned the line into a joke, an anachronism, as well as being completely hideous. Exposure is not always positive...

Meerkat

Established Member
Doesn’t most tourist stuff look naff to non-tourists?
And the dinosaur exposure was all good from what I saw (and heard from various parents and non-Rail fans)
The island line needs as much exposure as possible. After a trip there I was speaking to people at work and none of them knew about it, but the concept of train-ferry-train definitely appealed to them for a day out.

Clip

Established Member
Although that didn't stop them maintaining however many VEC-TIS units there were over the years.

But that was then and this is now and Im sure they wouldve done some workings out about how they can accomodate these new units and the best way to utilise them before they put an order in

And even with peak hours doubling up that still leaves one spare unit.
Is that not sufficient?

Turned the line into a joke, an anachronism, as well as being completely hideous. Exposure is not always positive..

I seem to remember it going down well when it first came out

How on earth will the Class 484 fit in the Ryde Tunnel?
Easily - look back through this thread and the other island line thread for all the info - theyve apparently been down there many years ago

Chris125

Established Member

It was mostly vinyl and looked tatty very quickly, encouraging rust. One unit in LT livery was always planned and a second made sense to allow a 4-car in red - by then the dinosaur livery was looking really tired so I think it was a pretty easy decision to repaint the rest.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Turned the line into a joke, an anachronism, as well as being completely hideous. Exposure is not always positive...

It looked naff?

Doesn’t most tourist stuff look naff to non-tourists?
And the dinosaur exposure was all good from what I saw (and heard from various parents and non-Rail fans)
The island line needs as much exposure as possible. After a trip there I was speaking to people at work and none of them knew about it, but the concept of train-ferry-train definitely appealed to them for a day out.

It was mostly vinyl and looked tatty very quickly, encouraging rust. One unit in LT livery was always planned and a second made sense to allow a 4-car in red - by then the dinosaur livery was looking really tired so I think it was a pretty easy decision to repaint the rest.

I quite liked the dinosaur livery - but then it wasn't one of the 4 approved RUK livery colours so it will be hated here.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
I never liked the dinosaur livery, but then I thought the NSE livery looked even worse on the 483s!

Mikey C

Established Member
The 483s were pretty ancient when they arrived whereas the D78s were withdrawn at a relatively young age and have already had lots of work done on them, so you'd hope that they'd need less maintenance

samuelmorris

Established Member
The 483s were pretty ancient when they arrived whereas the D78s were withdrawn at a relatively young age and have already had lots of work done on them, so you'd hope that they'd need less maintenance
If the 484s enter service next year the underlying units will be 40 years old. The 483s were 50 years old when they started operation, so not that much of a difference, but I appreciate the mid-2000s' refurbishment work on the D78s will certainly help.

hooverboy

On Moderation
If the 484s enter service next year the underlying units will be 40 years old. The 483s were 50 years old when they started operation, so not that much of a difference, but I appreciate the mid-2000s' refurbishment work on the D78s will certainly help.
the bogies and running gear were replaced in 2005 or so, so not that old.

honestly,I think they'll be fine.
I'd say the one proviso is platform clearances.The D78's are substantially wider bodies than the 38 stock(20cm more i think), and with a longer wheelbase on the carriage.
ryde esplanade will need a bit of shaving off the platform edge, and the 484's will have to use end doors only(so middle sealed and seating bay fitted)

sprinterguy

Established Member
Astonishing to think that, if the 484s have the same innings as the 38 stock, then Vivarail's legacy will still be running in 2059! o_O

Camden

Established Member
If you consider an underground line running 38 stock tube trains, those getting D78s as replacement would have seemed quite the upgrade. Worth bearing in mind that the District Line stock was never disliked too. This is a good deal.

Meerkat

Established Member
The big difference being D78s are grown up trains! They will feel much bigger

samuelmorris

Established Member
Astonishing to think that, if the 484s have the same innings as the 38 stock, then Vivarail's legacy will still be running in 2059! o_O
The 483s have only done 30 years on Island Line I think, not 40, but I assume you're talking about years since first constructed. At this stage it's entirely possible the 72TS will get a similar run, but with one operator throughout!

Mikey C

Established Member
It's funny how things work out. If Vivarail hadn't bought all those D78s, would the fleet have been scrapped by now?

samuelmorris

Established Member
It's funny how things work out. If Vivarail hadn't bought all those D78s, would the fleet have been scrapped by now?
Probably, and this I imagine is Vivarail's idea - as pressing requirements for small bespoke fleets come up, be in there with a potential solution (as long as >60mph running isn't required).

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Without a doubt. After all, the vast majority of C Stock have been. I can foresee them lasting quite a long time on the Isle of Wight, after all - the older 483s did

Status
Not open for further replies.