• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 66. Why so unpopular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
To be honest everyone is entitled an honest opinion on the class 66's and if it is dislike than so be it but if you want to continue liking the railway then im sorry to say you will have to deal with them I am quite lucky in the fact I don't remember when the 66's didn't exist so they haven't exactly replaced anything in my mind I just wish there was more variety but with the 57's and 67's and the 66's there is at least some variety.

Everyone is totally entitles to there opinions, its when you start shoving your opinions as 'fact' and telling people what they should/have to believe that the arguments start. Rate it all you want, but don't tell me I should rate would be a nice idea!

(Not aimed at you in particular, just a general point) I'm no angle in that respect, if someone starts telling me how I should be getting exctied about loco X I've been known to start ranting about how crap the duff/can/tug/skoda is, those four are the normal suspects!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phoenix

Established Member
Everyone is totally entitles to there opinions, its when you start shoving your opinions as 'fact' and telling people what they should/have to believe that the arguments start. Rate it all you want, but don't tell me I should rate would be a nice idea!

(Not aimed at you in particular, just a general point) I'm no angle in that respect, if someone starts telling me how I should be getting exctied about loco X I've been known to start ranting about how crap the duff/can/tug/skoda is, those four are the normal suspects!

Fair enough at least your honest about all this.
To be honest I tend to like most loco's but there some I easily favor over others like really I think class 60's and class 56's are quite boring and look quite ridiculous but that's how it goes.

The only thing I don't get is why someone puts not liking a class 66 down to either

1.it's American
2.It yings
3.It got rid of my spoons etc

Like we have both said people are entitled to opinions I just feel that if they feel so strongly about these opinions couldn't they be better presented to the rest of us or is it simply a case of this is exactly how they feel ?

The_Rail_WAy

I have noticed that opinions of the class 66 are both strong and divided amongst railfans and this is the reason behind some of the strong arguments for and against them and the lively debate this causes.

D9521

I have noticed that opinions of the class 66 are both strong and divided amongst railfans and this is the reason behind some of the strong arguments for and against them and the lively debate this causes.

Umm here have a gold star?? :lol:

Whether we like it or not the sheds are here to stay obviously so we either try to like them or forever grumble about something we can't change

bogie

Yes I have been told that TOTON will become the new Barry scrapyard, It is also knows as the "Black Hole" as very little comes out of it when locos go in for repair.

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
Yes I have been told that TOTON will become the new Barry scrapyard, It is also knows as the "Black Hole" as very little comes out of it when locos go in for repair.

I hope it isn't like a Black Hole! It's so dense, a Match box of black matter is about 10,000 tonnes!

Dave R

class 66s probably arent so popular because there's no variety anymore, apart from the odd 60, im young but i remember the occasional 37, 47, 56 & 57. it's the range of locos that makes the difference

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Did I really see 66954 today?(At Southampton FLT.

Have just looked it up on google and find there is actually a 66954.

So how many 66 are there?

What happens now we have almost run out of numbers?

Phoenix

Established Member

Well it is very unlikley they will as most companies are happy with there fleets now.
Especially FL as they have a sizable amount of sheds and also the fleet of over 20 electrics and finally the new toys they will be having soon enough.

But Subclass wise i believe there is the whole of 66/3 (apart from 1-5).

Established Member
Did I really see 66954 today?(At Southampton FLT.

Have just looked it up on google and find there is actually a 66954.

So how many 66 are there?

There's not over 900 66s, it's just the 66/9 sub class, although there are 250 66/0s, so any 66 from 001 up to 250 is actually a /0.
All nice and confusing :D

I think there's only around 450 sheds, so we're not going to run out of numbers for a while :)

Phoenix

Established Member
There's not over 900 66s, it's just the 66/9 sub class, although there are 250 66/0s, so any 66 from 001 up to 250 is actually a /0.
All nice and confusing :D

I think there's only around 450 sheds, so we're not going to run out of numbers for a while :)

Problem is there are some subclasses with spare numbers but these are subclasses which are somewhat older so they will never be used again as basically the subclasses 9,3,7 are the likely candidates to have further additions.
but I doubt the 4 subclass will have any additions plus there is still 251-299 to be filled and I seriously doubt that as that version of the class is 10 years old.

Basically apparently (wikipedia work) ther is the following spare numbers.

0 sub 251-299
3 sub 306-399
4 sub 435-499
6 sub 626-699
7 sub 732-899
9 sub 901-950 958-999

Hope that helps.

Bittern

Established Member
I have nothing against the 66 at all. The only real thing that does my nuts in is that there are too many. When I see freight trains, 99% of them are pulled by a 66.

If it's EWS, then all is forgiven becaise I love the livery, but Freightliners I despise on 66s. Especially the front/back.

Tractor37516

I have never liked Sheds because i will always be a first generation diesel basher:D but i respect them as they have revlutionised freight for all the companies they work for. It is ashame <(that they are not British:cry: nor do they look good and sound great but they do the job they were built for with no fuss and no mess;)

thefab444

Established Member
Whilst all those numbers may appear to be free, a lot of them are used as carriage numbers within EMUs. Also, the latter 66/9s are just 66/5s, so the numbering is less about features and more about the FOC.

I don't mind sheds for photography, they may not be that great but at least we don't have FMUs (yet). Previously I hated the EWS livery ones, but I am rather impressed by the DBS livery, just as shame no more Sheds will be getting it for a good while.

Some people love them and others hate them and i'm one of these people that hate them
the 66s are a good loco but thay are getting very boring to spot for us guys up north
because thats all were getting to see these days. they will never have the following
of fans that the class 37s had. and for power well i would take a 60 any day

Dave R

although im not sure but i think 325s are EMUs not FMUs because of the number classification and that mail is 2nd priority to passengers. if FMUs came into service i would think they would be given different number classifications (eg. 6xx 7xx ect)

Established Member
although im not sure but i think 325s are EMUs not FMUs because of the number classification and that mail is 2nd priority to passengers. if FMUs came into service i would think they would be given different number classifications (eg. 6xx 7xx ect)

AN FMU would have to be either an EMU, DMU, or DEMU.
Freight locos arent numbered in different series to ones specifically for passenger, why would it be any different for MUs?

laseandre

Established Member
Maybe because we're running out of room in the existing numbering system for any more DMUs, AC EMUs or "Southern" DC EMUs?

Status
Not open for further replies.