• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 68 Progress, what's the latest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

themiller

Photos to go with previous post. The first is taken in Workington Docks from Harbour Road in overcast, hazy conditions whilst the second was in Maryport station in light drizzle.

Attachments

• DSC00273.jpg
    DSC00273.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2982.jpg
    IMG_2982.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 264
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Oh, yes they are! Already been confirmed earlier in the thread and on one of the TPE stock threads thanks to a TPE job description that spilt the beans, plus internally management have confirmed this - just not oficially.

There is expected to be an announcement on Friday on the first day of the new franchise, looks like the new TPE franchise wants to start with a bang!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Will this have a dedicated small fleet, or would any 68, apart from the Chiltern ones, be likely to turn up on it in rotation?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Thats TPE blue......
Looks to be the same shade of blue that previous locos of the class have been delivered in (prior to receiving Compass livery), for instance:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/60708994@N00/22706883189

It's the vinyls that go over the top that make the difference.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Will this have a dedicated small fleet, or would any 68, apart from the Chiltern ones, be likely to turn up on it in rotation?
That'll depend on whether TPE intend to employ push-pull operation. If so, then the locos will have to come from a modified batch like the Chiltern 68s.

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Yup, new tie, new livery, new train announcement and free cake for the punters...

Meanwhile same ****, same managers, same delays, same overcrowding.....

Established Member
Well looks I will taking the Calder Valley service to Manchester in future, just seen some Chiltern loco hauled MTIN figures quoted on WNXX which are even worse than Northern 37's, just what you need on a 5/6 trains per hour railway I don't think.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Well looks I will taking the Calder Valley service to Manchester in future, just seen some Chiltern loco hauled MTIN figures quoted on WNXX which are even worse than Northern 37's, just what you need on a 5/6 trains per hour railway I don't think.

The Hull service is to remain as 185s long term while the new Manchester-Leeds only service will also be operated by 185s. It sounds like the other services may finish up being a mix of loco-hauled and bi-mode so they'll be plenty of non loco-hauled options on North TPE.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The Hull service is to remain as 185s long term while the new Manchester-Leeds only service will also be operated by 185s. It sounds like the other services may finish up being a mix of loco-hauled and bi-mode so they'll be plenty of non loco-hauled options on North TPE.
If a loco-hauled set were to sit down on what is a largely twin track railway, though, it is likely to cause knock-on disruption for following services.

I can't confess to witnessing any problems with the Chiltern loco-hauled turns, beyond the well-publicised fire on a 68, as an occasional user of the trains, however. The set on the 15:55 is always waiting to depart as regular as clockwork when I see it on a daily basis, too, except when services have been disrupted due to infrastructure problems.

Last edited:

Established Member

I'm well aware of that my comment was relating to these failed Loco Hauled trains potentially clogging up the line, and if it is as being suggested its a mix of Bi-mode and Loco Hauled that's sounds like a pretty crackpot solution to me.

The MTIN figures quoted by Tony Miles on WNXX for Chiltern Loco hauled are even worse than those 37 I love so much:lol: of course some of that could be due to those clapped out MK3 sets that everybody likes so much, so maybe the new alleged CAF sets will be better lets hope so otherwise TPE could be a right shambles.

Last edited:

al.currie93

I can't confess to witnessing any problems with the Chiltern loco-hauled turns, beyond the well-publicised fire on a 68, as an occasional user of the trains, however. The set on the 15:55 is always waiting to depart as regular as clockwork when I see it on a daily basis, too, except when services have been disrupted due to infrastructure problems.

I agree, I've used the line a number of times with 68s and never had a problem or even a delay at all. The only things I've even heard about were the fires, and with only five sets on the line then two incidents will reflect on the statistics much more than with a larger fleet. How many failures did the 180s have when first introduced? I believe that they were far worse than the 68s!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I agree, I've used the line a number of times with 68s and never had a problem or even a delay at all. The only things I've even heard about were the fires, and with only five sets on the line then two incidents will reflect on the statistics much more than with a larger fleet. How many failures did the 180s have when first introduced? I believe that they were far worse than the 68s!

Remember that at least one of the fire incidents was on the coaches, not the loco!

Sunbird24

The cargo ship Eendracht has loaded at Sagunto and is headed for the open sea. Its destination and cargo have not been disclosed at this time. It has previously been used to carry class 68s from Sagunto to Workington.
Update - ETA Workington 0800 on 4th April. Not sure what it has on board yet but it was loaded on 30th March and 68025 was still in the factory yard on the afternoon of March 29th with no sign of transport to get it to the docks so perhaps only 68023 & 68024 are on board. Remember, the cargo is pure speculation on my part is I did not have time to visit the port on 29th when Eendracht was still anchored off shore awaiting a berth. It is possible that 68025 could have been moved to the port after after I saw it, perhaps on the morning of 30th, the ship departed around 5 pm that day. Current position can be found here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:232666/zoom:10
PS I would not be surprised if 88001 was on board also but I have not seen it in over a month and there have been no reports of it being at Velim.
It's all a matter of wait and see on next Monday morning!
Looks like there will be about a 10 hour delay before the Eendracht arrives at Workington, as its ETA approaches it is currently half way up the Welsh coast so I would expect a late afternoon/early evening arrival.
It has slowed a little more so I'm guessing they are aiming to arrive around high tide which is 22:21 this evening. Probably expect unloading tomorrow?
It has now berthed at Workington. 9:15pm on 5th.
Just got these details from Realtime trains:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...16/04/06/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
So it looks like whatever is on the Eendracht will be moved to Carlisle tomorrow (6th).
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R03338/2016/04/06/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R03339/2016/04/06/advanced
The Eendracht left for Holland just after 11 am on 5th April so the unloaded contents (68023, 68024 & 68025) will be around Workington Docks until around mid-day on 6th.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Thanks for the above info Sunbird24.

Do we know whether 68025 was actually delivered with 68023 & 68024 anyone ?. Convoy should be arriving at Kingmoor about now (13:05 6/4/16) aiui.

Sort of bump of the thread because I notice editing ones post does not seem to trigger the subscription to notice a change (unless I have been dozey). Maybe need to post a new post - even if the double post prevention system joins them together ?.

Last edited:

Sunbird24

Thanks for the above info Sunbird24.

Do we know whether 68025 was actually delivered with 68023 & 68024 anyone ?. Convoy should be arriving at Kingmoor about now (13:05 6/4/16) aiui.

Sort of bump of the thread because I notice editing ones post does not seem to trigger the subscription to notice a change (unless I have been dozey). Maybe need to post a new post - even if the double post prevention system joins them together ?.
3 68's were unloaded.
If 88001 is on board the ship is on its way to Holland. Having driven to the Velim area with a small trailer, the roads in Czech were a nightmare, a rail journey would be much easier. We still don't know how 68001 travelled between Valencia and Velim either way, if anyone knows different please advise.
I think a double post can be prevented if a different "Title" is used for each post but editing a post multiple times is better than lots of individual posts so better to change the notification system.
Still no sightings of any more of either class at Albuixech. Last advice from DRS was remaining 68's early 2016, 88's late 2016.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
3 68's were unloaded.
If 88001 is on board the ship is on its way to Holland. Having driven to the Velim area with a small trailer, the roads in Czech were a nightmare, a rail journey would be much easier. We still don't know how 68001 travelled between Valencia and Velim either way, if anyone knows different please advise.
I think a double post can be prevented if a different "Title" is used for each post but editing a post multiple times is better than lots of individual posts so better to change the notification system.
Still no sightings of any more of either class at Albuixech. Last advice from DRS was remaining 68's early 2016, 88's late 2016.

Yes I suspect the final (?) seven 68s will follow straight on from 68025 with not much of a pause. Only hold up would be if some parts for this last batch are not in the supply chain yet/soon.

I wonder if 88002 might appear before the last 68 - 68032. Obviously not before 88001 finishes its testing though.

Sunbird24

Yes I suspect the final (?) seven 68s will follow straight on from 68025 with not much of a pause. Only hold up would be if some parts for this last batch are not in the supply chain yet/soon.

I wonder if 88002 might appear before the last 68 - 68032. Obviously not before 88001 finishes its testing though.

As I said earlier, no new 68's or 88's have appeared for about 3 months now, instead the factory is producing Euro 4000s for Europorte and another French customer (VFLI I think from the red colour) and Prasa Duals for South Africa. These latter have the same Cat engine as a 68 (175) but in what is more like a Euro 3200 body.
68002 was unveiled shortly after 68001 had gone to Velim and shipped to UK in January, so was just 2 months behind 68001 which was unloaded from its ship at Lubeck in November 2013. http://www.lhg.com/index.php?id=61&tx_ttnews[year]=2013&cHash=a77dbb18ffff7768583ec7151add73f0

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Ah I see. So, from what you in are saying in the previous post, does that mean those dates (quoted above) from DRS are looking unlikely ?.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.