• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 70 Written Off Maybe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Getting various rumors that 70012 was dropped while it was being lifted out of the ships hold. Also earlier rumors that it was 70010. Now seems the ship will leave Newport with 70012 still inside. If one was dropped then it could be from a significant height I suppose.

Of course it could be that 70012 was either never in the ship (I seem to recall some people already thought that when it was loaded) or maybe its destined for Poland (bit inconvenient for the spotters !).

Can anyone confirm / deny ?, for example a picure of all of them on the quay side at Newport ?.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pumbaa

Established Member
I read on Twitter that 012 was dropped by crane, no more been seen yet.

I'd heard that 011 was dropped inside, but you're the second person to say 012.

Whichever loco it is, I've heard significant damage to the bogies.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Lets hope its a bogie they dropped. I think the loco is lifted out separate from its bogies. Otherwise a damaged bogie means a damaged body and the body is a lot more expensive than a mere bogie !.

The Decapod

One problem with the Class 70 is that it's difficult to tell whether or not it's been dropped just by looking at it !!! :lol:

Established Member
Think they all should have been dropped - might have made them look a bit better. Either that or dumped in the middle of the Atlantic...

Drimnagh Road

I've heard 70012 mentioned also, and like Peter that the ship will be bringing 70012 back to the States for assessment.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Shows how easy rumours get started/ around...

A bit like the London Midland HST hauled by a class 86 which was really a class 90 story...

MCR247

Established Member
I thought that your post was a picture that was taking ages to load because of my shocking internet :lol:

Crossover

Established Member
Just realised which the Class 70's are...did someone get a bit carried away with the jelly mould? :P

While looking for a reminder of whch loco this class was, came across this on the Wiki page:
"On 5 January 2011, a ship carrying 5 Class 70 locomotives, No. 70008 - 70012 docked at Newport Docks. That night, 70008 was unloaded from the ship and was safely laid on British soil. Health and Safety forbid the crane operators to continue the unloading of the other 4 locomotives due to bad light. On 6 January 2011, during the unloading of the remaining 4 locomotives, 70012 was involved in an incident involving the loco falling from the crane. The loco was promptly reloaded to the ship for transport back to at the GE plant at Erie, Pennsylvania for major repair work."

There is a citation at the end to the WNXX site but from what I can see, the site doesn't mention about one being dropped and the changes were made by an IP address this evening, not a logged in user, so maybe something to take with a pinch of salt, but thought it was worth a mention anyway. In the fleet details on the Wiki page it also says that 012 has gone for repair.

12CSVT

Established Member
Think they all should have been dropped - might have made them look a bit better. Either that or dumped in the middle of the Atlantic...

And perhaps dropped an equal number of class 66s for comparison

Helvellyn

Established Member
Yet both Rail and the Railway Magazine report that only 70008-70011 were getting shipped to the UK. We sure this isn't some unfounded WNXX rumour to explain away a "missing" 70012?

the-gog

Ben Jones on twitter via @modelrailUK posted this:

"Getting reports that Freightliner's brand new 70012 has been dropped onto the quayside at Newport after crane lifting it snapped."

Model Rail mag is from the same outfit as Rail, and share various staff.

fgwrich

Established Member
Ben Jones on twitter via @modelrailUK posted this:

"Getting reports that Freightliner's brand new 70012 has been dropped onto the quayside at Newport after crane lifting it snapped."

Model Rail mag is from the same outfit as Rail, and share various staff.

Also quoted on Model Rails Facebook Page...

Model Rail magazine Now confirmed by Freightliner. A "minor incident" with 70012 at 1830 last night - cables snapped and dropped loco onto ship (not quayside). Damage now being assessed, not known if it will have to go back to Erie.

Quouted by somebody else on the same thread
‎30ft apparently. The chains snapped in the cold weather and the loco fell back onto the ship crushing the bogies

They were posted 6/10 hours ago!

fgwrich

Established Member
Starting to Sound very much like 70012 is to be used for spares only from now on.

All known information so far relating to the cause seems to point towards one of the main the chains used for lifting the loco out of the ships hold snapping, thus dropping the loco anywhere from 15 to 30 feet onto the ships deck...

Likely resulting damage includes Crushed bogies, twisted chassis and damage to other parts of the locos components inc fuel tanks, not to mention the possible damage to the ships cargo deck hold...Neither loco or ship have left Newport Docks...

Tell you one thing though, thank god know one was injured in this!

Though i'll secretly admit i wouldn’t mind seeing a class 70 dropped from a fair height! In a similar way to Top Gear dropping a car from great height...but that’s a different matter!

Last edited:

MrC

Try www.wnxxforum.com in the forum Traction & Rolling Stock with a thread title of Class 70s'. It starts from page 55 onwards. There's as much hearsay as here at first but there seems to be better gen later on in the thread.

You'll need wnxx forum membership.

Crossover

Established Member
Got it, it has been put on http://www.wnxx.com/ - Latest News (its a static URL) now
Ouch...
Last January it was ouch for DBS and 66048 when it ran away in Scotland, coming to grief at Carrbridge. This January it's ouch for freightliner and brand new 70012 (DHLT) which has been damaged whilst being lifted out of the ship at Newport. Reportedly from about 20 feet in the air, during the unloading process, something evidently going completely wrong, 70012 was dropped back into the hold of the Beluga Endurance. Obviously the damage to the locomotive will have to be assessed but early indications suggest that 70012 is likely to be beyond economic repair.

T163R

Wikipedia said:
"70012 was involved in an incident involving the loco falling from the crane. The loco was promptly reloaded to the ship for transport back to the GE plant at Erie, Pennsylvania for major repair work"

From Wikipedia, so...careful :D

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
With the production line still open, I would imagine that if there is any kind of major repair required it would be cheaper and easier to just write it off and build an extra one in place of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.