• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

On Moderation
There’s definitely a lot of them at the new Feltham depot. I got a great view from a flight out of Heathrow on Sunday. It’s completely full of 701s.
It isn’t “completely full”. There were five sets in yesterday, with five roads not used. As other stock stables there overnight, there must be space available for those sets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
The only route that is proposed for is beyond Leatherhead to Bookham, which whilst served by metro services is incredibly rural and has low off-peak usage.

There’s nothing in the SWR plan for cutting core metro routes in the travel card zones to 1tph like Southern are doing so to Beckenham etc.
They are planning to halve a number of other services, for example at St Margarets, North Sheen and Mortlake down to a decidedly non-Metro 2tph.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder to stick to class 701 updates please.

New threads can be created to discuss any other topic, such as potential timetable changes or anything else.

ashkeba

Established Member
They are the same width, yes - but isn't the issue that they are shorter from front to back?
Yes, so smaller volume of cab air so maybe higher infection risk. I do not know if it will be significant enough to stop training but I do not agree that training restarting on other classes means 701 training certain to start or that SWR will think it worth the increase in risk of drivers off sick yet. 701 are a more different cab design, whether we think that good or not.

TEW

Established Member
Yes, so smaller volume of cab air so maybe higher infection risk. I do not know if it will be significant enough to stop training but I do not agree that training restarting on other classes means 701 training certain to start or that SWR will think it worth the increase in risk of drivers off sick yet. 701 are a more different cab design, whether we think that good or not.
It's basically irrelevant anyway. It is not any form of Covid restrictions or social distancing requirements that's preventing 701 training taking place.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's basically irrelevant anyway. It is not any form of Covid restrictions or social distancing requirements that's preventing 701 training taking place.
Thanks for restoring some sanity to this conversation! I was beginning to think we were in some of Covid time warp!

Invincible

Is there any truth in this report NR may need to move some signals and some software bugs are still to be sorted.
Guess Alstrom are busy sorting out the Elizabeth line trains?

Goldfish62

Established Member

Bayum

Established Member
Seeing as this is 121 pages long, is anyone able to succinctly summarise the remaining issues with the 701s thus far?

43102EMR

Established Member
Seeing as this is 121 pages long, is anyone able to succinctly summarise the remaining issues with the 701s thus far?
ASLEF refuse to accept them, software faults, cab defects… the list goes on.

Snow1964

Established Member

Basically late delivery, so training didn’t happen (a third of them were supposed to be in service by March 2020 pre covid)

Shoddy build quality, both how they were screwed together, and software that was riddled with faults.

A cab design with windows that were not big enough to see every signal easily, so caused a stroppy union to find multiple other faults and reject the cab design

A manufacturer that didn’t seem to have any staff to sort any build faults promptly

Goldfish62

Established Member
Basically late delivery, so training didn’t happen (a third of them were supposed to be in service by March 2020 pre covid)

Shoddy build quality, both how they were screwed together, and software that was riddled with faults.

A cab design with windows that were not big enough to see every signal easily, so caused a stroppy union to find multiple other faults and reject the cab design

A manufacturer that didn’t seem to have any staff to sort any build faults promptly
The two recent magazine articles highlighted in some detail the mess that Alstom found when they took over the factory. From the sound of it it's a miracle that other Aventras actually entered service without too much delay.

theking

The windscreen issue is completely laughable.

I'd understand if it was the problem scotrail had with double aspects because of the curvature but for them to say they can't see signals because of a wiper blade when they drive gangway stock is ridiculous.

Bayum

Established Member
The two recent magazine articles highlighted in some detail the mess that Alstom found when they took over the factory. From the sound of it it's a miracle that other Aventras actually entered service without too much delay.
Which articles are these?

fgwrich

Established Member
It really does make you wonder how Bombardier ran the place (almost into the ground) and how they still managed to pick up orders, despite everything behind the scenes being not exactly as they should be. It also makes you wonder how they could promise so much to the TOCs with the Aventra fleets, despite at the time, having barely delivered one (the Crossrail 345s at the time of the mass GA / C2C / WMT / SWR orders).

One thing I've noted on the recent deliveries is that each unit has had tamper proof type stickers over the doors to stop them opening during transit. Which, potentially also says that they still haven't been able to address the door opening issue...

Established Member
The thing that baffles me is, if the design of the cab is so bad that certain signals can not be seen due to the position of the windscreen wiper, how come they are ‘safe’ for which ever drivers are doing the current mileage accumulation and fault free testing?

Energy

Established Member
One thing I've noted on the recent deliveries is that each unit has had tamper proof type stickers over the doors to stop them opening during transit.
I doubt they are to stop them opening, they discourage thieves or might be to prove that the unit hasn't been opened by whoever has been contracted to move the unit etc.

the sniper

Established Member
The thing that baffles me is, if the design of the cab is so bad that certain signals can not be seen due to the position of the windscreen wiper, how come they are ‘safe’ for which ever drivers are doing the current mileage accumulation and fault free testing?

There have been bits falling off other types of unit doing mileage accumulation which some have been willing to run with, some doing it clearly aren't too discerning.

fgwrich

Established Member
I doubt they are to stop them opening, they discourage thieves or might be to prove that the unit hasn't been opened by whoever has been contracted to move the unit etc.

There have been bits falling off other types of unit doing mileage accumulation which some have been willing to run with, some doing it clearly aren't too discerning.

Not only have bits been falling off, but the doors have been opening on both delivery and test runs. Those stickers are noticeable (bright blue) in not being on the early runs (I've even had a chance to look over one of the early units and they weren't there). I've even seen one of the cab doors come off it's runners at Basingstoke - yes, the build quality seems to be that poor.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Does anyone know why these Aventras have a so much worse build quality compared to the GA and Crossrail ones?

Though both those fleets were massively delayed too!

Snow1964

Established Member
Does anyone know why these Aventras have a so much worse build quality compared to the GA and Crossrail ones?

They are shorter bodywork, so were probably assembled on a separate production line, maybe they used the old crossrail assembly jigs and they didn’t really fit the smaller bodyshells (just a wild guess) so bit weren‘t fitted together very accurately

dgl

Established Member
It really does make you wonder how Bombardier ran the place (almost into the ground) and how they still managed to pick up orders, despite everything behind the scenes being not exactly as they should be. It also makes you wonder how they could promise so much to the TOCs with the Aventra fleets, despite at the time, having barely delivered one (the Crossrail 345s at the time of the mass GA / C2C / WMT / SWR orders).
I'm guessing the only rear reason why they got orders was because they are assembled in Britain.
Also after Bombadier lost out to Siemens on the Thameslink order there seemed to be a lot of banging on about how the order had gone to a foreigner and that Derby might close/get rid of a lot of staff Etc.
Also one of the big reasons Bombadier got the Crossrail contract was because Siemens pulled out as they did not have the capacity free to build any more trains at that point in time.

With Siemens opening an assembly facility in Goole, initially for the new tube stock, Derby will no longer be able to crow about "made in Britain" and I would be looking carefully at Derby's future once all the current orders have been fufilled, though thatmay no be for a while yet!

spark001uk

Established Member
What would be the legal stance on this, anyone know? I would have thought such a monumental co**-up would leave swr in a good position to take action? Or has not enough gone wrong yet?

fgwrich

Established Member

They are shorter bodywork, so were probably assembled on a separate production line, maybe they used the old crossrail assembly jigs and they didn’t really fit the smaller bodyshells (just a wild guess) so bit weren‘t fitted together very accurately

I think it's been mentioned somewhere previously in this thread, but I would also in part attribute it to Bombardier promising a lot more than they can realistically deliver - Considering they will have just finished the Crossrail production line before jumping into the London Overground, Greater Anglia, SWR, WMT, LNWR and C2C builds. This would in part explain the part built units being shipped over to Worksop for temporary storage while the production line's play catchup. Of course Covid will have also played it's wretched part with shutdowns / social distancing affecting the production lines as well.

I'm guessing the only rear reason why they got orders was because they are assembled in Britain.
Also after Bombadier lost out to Siemens on the Thameslink order there seemed to be a lot of banging on about how the order had gone to a foreigner and that Derby might close/get rid of a lot of staff Etc.
Also one of the big reasons Bombadier got the Crossrail contract was because Siemens pulled out as they did not have the capacity free to build any more trains at that point in time.

With Siemens opening an assembly facility in Goole, initially for the new tube stock, Derby will no longer be able to crow about "made in Britain" and I would be looking carefully at Derby's future once all the current orders have been fufilled, though thatmay no be for a while yet!

Come to think of it, that could be part of it along with some competitive financing being available from Derby. Particularly with Boris's Built in Britain mantra (Noticeable at TfL while he was Mayor of London, despite the continued let downs by Bombardier management to TfL then {late delivery of 172s, issues on the S Stock requiring returns to Derby, Issues with the 09 stock documented on one of the TV series and the Sub Surface Lines reksignalling}) and conveniently ignoring that the IETs use body shells constructed in Kasado and Pistoia. Of course the Crossrail business led to the unusual situation of Bombardier building the stock, and Siemens providing the signalling.

The one I would have said to watch out for though in this was Hitachi. Until they decided to provide us with a... cracking fleet of insanely expensive units which may or may not outlive their design life. Alstom are seemingly aware of the mess they've inherited and at least attempting to repair it. But they have a long and steep road to climb.

As for Siemens, I can't work out why they've fallen largely out of favour, missing out on some pretty substantial franchise orders. They may be expensive, but at least the Siemens built fleets seem to work.

What would be the legal stance on this, anyone know? I would have thought such a monumental co**-up would leave swr in a good position to take action? Or has not enough gone wrong yet?

I'm surprised legal action hasn't become public yet - this year's Rock Rail accounts could well provide some interesting results, as it's unlikely they'll be paying for any of them yet. However, I'm fairly confident SWR / Rock Rail will be giving Alstom a (to quote Father Ted) kick up the @rse. The production and deliveries don't appear to have stopped yet, so I don't think we've reached a stage whereby the fleet could be rejected, yet.