• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

physics34

Established Member
At least the front end is not as horrific as the 345 or 710 regardless of whether its yellow or not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wonder why they have had to go for a whole new front cab design surely the 717 don't have that much of a bigger cab front slant than the aventura
717 is a Desiro City variant with an end emergency door and folding ladder mechanism built in. Isn't it going to have completely different design features to an Aventra?

theking

717 is a Desiro City variant with an end emergency door and folding ladder mechanism built in. Isn't it going to have completely different design features to an Aventra?

Apologies meant the 707 (edited op) that they currently run. I heard because it's something to do with the length of platform at Waterloo but surely the 707's fronts are not that much different to a 710 or 345.

pompeyfan

Established Member
An executive of the drivers union ASLEF has reportedly been telling drivers on SWR to prepare for industrial action in regards to the 701 units, stating they’re unsafe and the cab is massively unsuitable. May well be wibble but I’ve heard 3 different unrelated people report this.

lewisf

An executive of the drivers union ASLEF has reportedly been telling drivers on SWR to prepare for industrial action in regards to the 701 units, stating they’re unsafe and the cab is massively unsuitable. May well be wibble but I’ve heard 3 different unrelated people report this.

Is there a completed unit for ASLEF to even inspect yet?

Monty

Established Member
Is there a completed unit for ASLEF to even inspect yet?

Not to my knowledge no, but they had been supplied detailed plans of the trains interior layout. The cabs are considerably more cramped than other Aventra designs, which is the basis for the potential dispute.

Aictos

Established Member

I've heard that the issues have been fixed so industrial actions looks to be averted...

Goldfish62

Established Member
Not to my knowledge no, but they had been supplied detailed plans of the trains interior layout. The cabs are considerably more cramped than other Aventra designs, which is the basis for the potential dispute.
The offset driving seat can't help. I wonder why Bombardier are persisting with that when everything else these days has a central driving position.

theking

The offset driving seat can't help. I wonder why Bombardier are persisting with that when everything else these days has a central driving position.

The 345's 710's etc do have a central driving position the 701's are a swr special.
I'm sure bombardier would rather have just produced another 710/20 varient

On Moderation
It is to be hoped any action is a) last resort after every negotiation option has been exhausted and b) limited to refusing to drive the new kit, rather than taking action that disrupts passengers now.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The 345's 710's etc do have a central driving position the 701's are a swr special.
I'm sure bombardier would rather have just produced another 710/20 varient
No, the 345 and 710 have an offset driving position. I've had a look in a 345 cab and it's offset

lewisf

They’ve still got to be a massive improvement over a class 455 in terms of space. I would certainly hope so anyway, given that it’s a full width cab.

Hopefully any issues can be sorted amicably, much like the solution found for the class 385s.

Ethano92

Surely they're no more cramped than a 456 cab since they're both only the width of the cab door with a 456 even having the similar slanting design.

These units really aren't going down well with the unions, much at the expense of passengers

pompeyfan

Established Member
Surely they're no more cramped than a 456 cab since they're both only the width of the cab door with a 456 even having the similar slanting design.

These units really aren't going down well with the unions, much at the expense of passengers

I think it’s a bit harsh blaming the unions. Not even 2 years ago the same ASLEF branch accepted the 707s without any reported issues.

Ethano92

I think it’s a bit harsh blaming the unions. Not even 2 years ago the same ASLEF branch accepted the 707s without any reported issues.

Oh I didn't mean it in a way to blame the unions. I don't agree with the whole 'guard on every train' thing but I don't blame RMT for fighting for it, that's their job. Same way I don't blame ALSEF not liking the design of the cab, nevertheless with industrial action it's always the passengers that are most affected however its both SWR and the unions duty to ensure it doesn't happen although in the heat of the moment I wouldn't be surprised if I go against everything I just said and blame the unions profusely.

On the topic of 701s I'm interested to see the public's reaction. Of course there's the ironing board seats and clinical interior however for the Wimbledon side mainly that's the addition of air con, toilets, USB ports and publicised WiFi (I think the only reason WiFi works so well on 455s for me at least is because people don't know it's there)

On Moderation
On the topic of 701s I'm interested to see the public's reaction. Of course there's the ironing board seats and clinical interior however for the Wimbledon side mainly that's the addition of air con, toilets, USB ports and publicised WiFi (I think the only reason WiFi works so well on 455s for me at least is because people don't know it's there)
Out here on the Reading line, the 701s will be a MASSIVE downgrade on the 458s. I, for one, do not want the Aventras.

321over360

Im sure any cab is better than the converted end of a Class 153 with its tiny cab that was built where it used to be a non driving end of a Class 155 coach, besides, most train cabs, including Ex BR fleets (bar the idiotic 153s) that are still operating have big enough cabs for tall people to sit in, i mean i am 6ft6 and have comfortably sat in the Cab of a networker unit

Mikey C

Established Member
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation, it's crazy for this to become a Union issue when the trains are on the verge of introduction.

fgwrich

Established Member
No, the 345 and 710 have an offset driving position. I've had a look in a 345 cab and it's offset

And if what has been mentioned on here before becomes reality, these cabs will be different. How much behind cab space will taken up if SWR has managed to change it compared to the rest of the Aventra family?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Because the 707 is a well designed cab!
The 707 etc and the 68 and 88 use the standard European driver's desk. Surely it would make sense for this to be universally adopted as it appears to have been done in Germany and possibly other countries.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Out here on the Reading line, the 701s will be a MASSIVE downgrade on the 458s. I, for one, do not want the Aventras.
I don’t think you’ve got it that bad really when you consider the people of Maidenhead etc are also being downgraded to Aventras but from the rather nice 387s with tables and armrests

Ethano92

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation, it's crazy for this to become a Union issue when the trains are on the verge of introduction.
The fact that the issue only seems to be raised soon after construction started suggests SWR didn't share cab design with unions although are TOCs ever expected to? Bodyshells have been built now so what can change anyway?