• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3973EXL

Established Member
47749 701021 47727

Caped Ran LD 47749 47749 701033
47749 701041

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There have been a few posts talking about the 701s now being left cut in, meaning the modifications to the traction equipment have been done.

I managed to get a close up look at one last week... and here are a couple of pictures of relevance. One shows an additional sticker stating that the modifications have been done. The other shows two of a number of firmly bolted on brackets that are all around the edges of the casing, so rather than strapping them as has been suggested on this thread, the actual fix is rather firmer than a strap - and probably slows down the maintenance access as well, but at least it should stop things bursting all over the place!

The top brackets appear to be a beefed up and bolted closed adaption of the existing hinges.

The side ones appear to be more substantial and also have "tell tale" marks on them to watch for movement of the bolt covers.

Attachments

• Class 701 detail 1.JPG
    Class 701 detail 1.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 346
  • Class 701 detail 2.JPG
    Class 701 detail 2.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 338

3973EXL

Established Member
47727 701053
47727 701029

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Confirmed in RAIL Magazine that depot driver training started in April. No indication of when mainline training will start.

Fastlane256

Anyone know when these trains are supposed to be out now, considering the new year dedline has gone and that they are 4 years late? Has anyone heard a date (confirmed or speculative)? I heard from SWR that they will definitely be out in 2023 but I highly doubt it at this point in time.

Goldfish62

Established Member
G
Anyone know when these trains are supposed to be out now, considering the new year dedline has gone and that they are 4 years late? Has anyone heard a date (confirmed or speculative)? I heard from SWR that they will definitely be out in 2023 but I highly doubt it at this point in time.
Given that there are nearly seven more months left this year on the face of it this year is potentially credible (other TOCs manage to get new trains into service after 2-3 months of mainline training) , but based on previous promises I don't blame your scepticism.

fgwrich

Established Member
Nope. Bombardier left Alstom with a mess, and we're fully paying the price for this charade. The biggest issue now seems to be software related, should the more recent platforms remain stable then we might start seeing some light in the end of a very long ended tunnel, but until then it's just limited training and continued mileage accumulation runs / dragging them from store to store. Should have just stuck with Siemens from the start!

cactustwirly

Established Member
Nope. Bombardier left Alstom with a mess, and we're fully paying the price for this charade. The biggest issue now seems to be software related, should the more recent platforms remain stable then we might start seeing some light in the end of a very long ended tunnel, but until then it's just limited training and continued mileage accumulation runs / dragging them from store to store. Should have just stuck with Siemens from the start!
I agree, not withstanding the issues, the Aventra is a very poor platform. The 345s feel very cheap and nasty once you get underneath the glitzy TfL interior. They were rattling from day one, and the ride is frankly awful, a lot worse than a 387 or 800.

If the 458s were given new floors and seats then they would be a much nicer train than the 701s

How do the MTIN of the 455s and 458s compare to class 710s or 720s for example?

Goldfish62

Established Member
I agree, not withstanding the issues, the Aventra is a very poor platform. The 345s feel very cheap and nasty once you get underneath the glitzy TfL interior. They were rattling from day one, and the ride is frankly awful, a lot worse than a 387 or 800.

If the 458s were given new floors and seats then they would be a much nicer train than the 701s

How do the MTIN of the 455s and 458s compare to class 710s or 720s for example?
Latest published data I could find in Modern Railways (all MTIN moving annual average):

To P6 22-23:
Class 455: 29K
Class 458/5: 17K (continues to be SWR's most unreliable unit, well except for the 484, but that's partly due to the low mileage of the latter units)

To P10 22-23:
Class 710/3: 16K

To P12 22-23:
Class 710/1: 13K
Class 710/2: 11K
Class 720/5: 10K
Class 345: 6K

If you follow Roger Ford's columns in Modern Railways you'll appreciate that (class 345 excepting) these are not bad numbers for the current generation of new trains!

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Only ever travelled on two 345s - Reading - Burnham and Burnham back to Reading. Extremely unimpressed with the hard rides.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Only ever travelled on two 345s - Reading - Burnham and Burnham back to Reading. Extremely unimpressed with the hard rides.
The ride quality is no worse than the CAF units. All to do with the inside frame bogies which reduce track wear, I believe.

tasky

this might be interesting to other Class 701 watchers - Transport for London's board papers say their Elizabeth Line Aventras (the class 345s) are still causing reliability issues

After citing Network Rail infrastructure west of Paddington they say the second key reliability issue is:

"the reliability of the class 345 trains. A further train software upgrade resolving some issues and bringing additional functionality has been rolled out and was fully loaded onto the fleet, ahead of the 21 May 2023 timetable change".

I wonder if this bodes well for the 701s given they are pretty similar. Or maybe it is a sign that the issues will take a long time to figure out! Either way it is interesting to contrast the experiences.

Goldfish62

Established Member
this might be interesting to other Class 701 watchers - Transport for London's board papers say their Elizabeth Line Aventras (the class 345s) are still causing reliability issues

After citing Network Rail infrastructure west of Paddington they say the second key reliability issue is:

"the reliability of the class 345 trains. A further train software upgrade resolving some issues and bringing additional functionality has been rolled out and was fully loaded onto the fleet, ahead of the 21 May 2023 timetable change".

I wonder if this bodes well for the 701s given they are pretty similar. Or maybe it is a sign that the issues will take a long time to figure out! Either way it is interesting to contrast the experiences.
See my post #5505 - the MTIN (Miles per Technical INcident) says it all.

tasky

See my post #5505 - the MTIN (Miles per Technical INcident) says it all.
Very interesting figures. I'm surprised at the 455 numbers as well – I imagine their simplicity must outweigh the fact they are 40 years old!

It's probably too late to go back but you do have to wonder whether turning trains into computers has been worth it...

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Very interesting figures. I'm surprised at the 455 numbers as well – I imagine their simplicity must outweigh the fact they are 40 years old!
Not as simple as they were when constructed but at least the traction retrofit didn't extend any further into the train
It's probably too late to go back but you do have to wonder whether turning trains into computers has been worth it...
Certainly been pretty disastrous for the 2nd generation EMUs across not only UK but also in Europe yet the car and industries have managed to integrate wide scale computer hardware and associated software successfully so it appears an implementation issue.

Established Member
Latest published data I could find in Modern Railways (all MTIN moving annual average):

To P6 22-23:
Class 455: 29K
Class 458/5: 17K (continues to be SWR's most unreliable unit, well except for the 484, but that's partly due to the low mileage of the latter units)

To P10 22-23:
Class 710/3: 16K

To P12 22-23:
Class 710/1: 13K
Class 710/2: 11K
Class 720/5: 10K
Class 345: 6K

If you follow Roger Ford's columns in Modern Railways you'll appreciate that (class 345 excepting) these are not bad numbers for the current generation of new trains!

As long fixed formation units are the 345s suffering from the same “double counting” issue as the 700s, leading to worst stats than are strictly fair?

Goldfish62

Established Member
As long fixed formation units are the 345s suffering from the same “double counting” issue as the 700s, leading to worst stats than are strictly fair?
Really not sure on that one. I know it was raised about the Class 700, but Roger Ford dismissed it with a simple explanation, so simple that I've forgotten what he said!

Mordac

Established Member
Not as simple as they were when constructed but at least the traction retrofit didn't extend any further into the train

Certainly been pretty disastrous for the 2nd generation EMUs across not only UK but also in Europe yet the car and industries have managed to integrate wide scale computer hardware and associated software successfully so it appears an implementation issue.
Maybe car companies haven't bunged off the software implementation to the cheapest code monkeys they could find?

stuu

Established Member
Not sure that's a very good comparison. Computers in cars don't have to interact with anything outside the car, and they (always?) let you drive off with the door slightly open or whatever. Rail implementations are far more complicated and have many more safety-critical functions built in. Which is a good thing if they ever get them to work properly

MotCO

Established Member
Not sure that's a very good comparison. Computers in cars don't have to interact with anything outside the car, and they (always?) let you drive off with the door slightly open or whatever. Rail implementations are far more complicated and have many more safety-critical functions built in. Which is a good thing if they ever get them to work properly
Yes, I don't recall any cars fitted with ECTS !

phil_

Pretty sure I just saw 019 being pulled by a support loco in Eastleigh, didn't catch that one's # though.

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Pretty sure I just saw 019 being pulled by a support train in Eastleigh, didn't catch that one's # though.
Looking at the time of your post, it might have been 029. Here's RTT timings for its arrival into Eastleigh. Plus, a photo of 029 behind a joyfully throaty 47727, as they passed Bedhampton today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230606_151759_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230606_151759_Chrome.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 47727_701029_Bedhampton.JPG
    47727_701029_Bedhampton.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 92

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Plenty of systems in cars have to adhere to the same SIL as trains like airbags, anti-lock brakes, and power steering and the engine management systems are very complex. The difference is they spend years and lots of money getting it right before they mass produce same as the airline industry. Bombardier had airline pedigree with all glass cockpits designs that were comparable with Airbus and Boeing with a product that was selling so well Airbus bought it so it should have had the wherewithal to have delivered on software design and implementation.

Also the trains are ALLOWED to run on the network which means the safety systems and associated software have been approved. With the 701's it appears to be all the deviations from the standard platform that seem to be causing problems but given everyone is staying stumm and the railway press have pretty much failed to do any investigative journalism none of us really know.

phil_

Looking at the time of your post, it might have been 029. Here's RTT timings for its arrival into Eastleigh. Plus, a photo of 029 behind a joyfully throaty 47727, as they passed Bedhampton today.
Oopsies. I only even noticed it was 701 once we'd already passed it so i was squinting my best to try and catch it.