• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Yawn, the seat complaint is getting more and more boring everytime it is mentioned.
And the fact the TOCs don’t seem to be getting the message that the seats are appalling - and by extension they therefore don’t give a stuff about the punters - is getting pretty tedious.

Bessie

Do we know what the seat capacity is on 10 car class 701 versus a 10 car 458/5? I assume there will be a better configuration with no repeat of the silly 1+1 seat config in some parts of the current class 458/5 near the doors.

hwl

Established Member
The 710s are only a year late due to the testing issues. They weren't built a year late.
Bombardier have recently taken on an extra 300 staff for final assembly work on the Aventras which should see the build rate pick up. Hence they appear to have confidence that the software will be less of a problem going forwards.

Bigfoot

And the fact the TOCs don’t seem to be getting the message that the seats are appalling - and by extension they therefore don’t give a stuff about the punters - is getting pretty tedious.

I happen to think that a thin seat is more comfortable, therefore they've listened to me and also therefore care about me as a "punter".

Mordac

Established Member
The thing is, no one here can do anything about it. So there's no point in writing the same thing over and over in this forum.

On Moderation
The thing is, no one here can do anything about it. So there's no point in writing the same thing over and over in this forum.
Most of the stuff on here we can’t do anything about, but it doesn’t seem to stop anyone!

RealTrains07

Established Member
Anyone word on an actual finished 701 yet? I have seen bits but no visuals on a finished unit?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Do we know what the seat capacity is on 10 car class 701 versus a 10 car 458/5? I assume there will be a better configuration with no repeat of the silly 1+1 seat config in some parts of the current class 458/5 near the doors.
10 car 701 will have 546 seats.
2 x 458/5 has 540 seats.
As per the table in the franchise agreement, (where they have shown them as the since superseded class 711).

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Apparently there is a photo of the first coach floating about amongst staff at SWR.

Doomotron

I'll admit, I didn't quite like how they looked in that shot from when they were being built, but now they're finished, I really like them. They even look good look with a yellow front, which no other Aventra has managed to do.

RealTrains07

Established Member
I'll admit, I didn't quite like how they looked in that shot from when they were being built, but now they're finished, I really like them. They even look good look with a yellow front, which no other Aventra has managed to do.
The 720 yellow front is nice i think? But yes i do agree hopefully the seats wont be ironing boards as shown in RAIL recently

TRAX

Established Member
As usual, would look better without the yellow front but this time it seems to be a lighter and softer shade ?

Goldfish62

Established Member
I agree, and it's the best looking Aventra to date IMO.