• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

samuelmorris

Established Member
Indeed that's why I don't mind the 700s, a flat top to rest your foot on, same as 455s. On 345s however the duct is curved and so you can't really.

Of course, completely passed me.:oops:

Just out of interest, the black screens above the luggage racks near the doors, What are they? Let's also hope there are large bins like on 455s.
They could be secondary displays like fitted to 701s. It's not immediately obvious from the photo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Yeah, for what they're being used for (short innersuburban routes) they don't look bad at all to be honest. Similar in comfort to a Thameslink 319. I like the leather-effect headrest, it really adds class. Could do with seat back tables, otherwise ideal for the job.
But they aren’t just being used on short inner suburban routes, are they? They are slated for the Reading line where there are plenty of passengers who do journeys of an hour or more. In other words, journey times similar to Farnham and Alton, which won’t be getting this junk.

Time for a “NoAventra” campaign like the No450 one on the Portsmouth direct.

class387

Established Member
It seems that the 701s will have a small table at the window seat in each of the facing seats: Credit to Modern Railways.
https://www.facebook.com/modernrail...218302491637/1310219215824879/?type=3&theater
75406498_1310219222491545_8741556197498290176_n.jpg
To me this is probably actually one of the best inner-suburban interiors we've seen in a while. It is regrettable that none of the bays appear to align with windows, but other than that it seems quite nice - nowhere near as clinical as the 700s.

SWRtrain_fan

To me this is probably actually one of the best inner-suburban interiors we've seen in a while. It is regrettable that none of the bays appear to align with windows, but other than that it seems quite nice - nowhere near as clinical as the 700s.
I agree. The Thameslink 700 seat colours are quite boring and dull, but SWR's leather headrests make them look quite nice.

387star

On Moderation
In the new gtr franchise I'd hope the ironing boards in 700s, 717s, 387s, 377/6 And 377/7s will have their seat covers swapped for comfier versions like this with mini tables fitted to 700s

Thameslink has a whole new fleet and most of the promised timetable is running so what else can a new company offer ? I imagine any company would foam at the mouth to take it on as it shoukd be bedded down by then

387star

On Moderation
The worst seats in the south might be 313 seats with their minimal scratchy seat covers filled with dust

Mordac

Established Member
In the new gtr franchise I'd hope the ironing boards in 700s, 717s, 387s, 377/6 And 377/7s will have their seat covers swapped for comfier versions like this with mini tables fitted to 700s

Thameslink has a whole new fleet and most of the promised timetable is running so what else can a new company offer ? I imagine any company would foam at the mouth to take it on as it shoukd be bedded down by then
The 313s and 455s need replaced for starters. And there's the mess with the 170s going to the East Mids.

phil beard

The latest picture released by SWR shows a non-gangwayed 701 but I thought this Class had inter-unit gangways.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The seat cushions look more sculpted than the regular ironing board so I'm hoping they're the improved (& quite acceptable) version as in the 195 and 331.

hwl

Established Member
The seat cushions look more sculpted than the regular ironing board so I'm hoping they're the improved (& quite acceptable) version as in the 195 and 331.
Agreed those aren't the original flat ones.
I'll be quite happy when they are in service.

RealTrains07

Established Member
Nah, i would take the 707s over aventra junk any day. Looks cheap and the seats and tables are awful. Yeah they are no better than the 707s but surely they could have improved

if your going have table seats at least have decent sized like the 377s

Don’t see much difference between the 707s and 701s except new colours and little tables

Doomotron

Nah, i would take the 707s over aventra junk any day. Looks cheap and the seats and tables are awful. Yeah they are no better than the 707s but surely they could have improved

Don’t see much difference between the 707s and 701s except new colours and little tables
This is a confusing reply... The seats are better and the 707s have no tables at all, not a toilet. Are you part of the anti-Aventra party by any chance?

TRAX

Established Member

So you’d take a 707 over a 701 "any day", and the 701 is "junk", but you can’t see much difference between the two ? :lol::arrow:

hwl

Established Member

So you'd rather stand up to let people in and out of the window seats in bays?

A lesson well learnt in interiors decades ago being repeated. (again)

RealTrains07

Established Member
Alright team aventra, Calm down. Firstly the seats are the same. Look at them. Its an Ironing board through and through (no matter the material) I can guarantee the seats will be just as bad.

Secondly, how is a tiny table an improvement? even some 377s are better and thats not just because of the bigger table!

thirdly, don’t patronise me, i have every right to reply to this thread and discuss the 701s as do you. None of you have been in a 701 either?!

look as much as iam glad the 455s are going. The 707s are an unecessary removal

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
No you can’t. The class 707s have the original ironing boards, whereas these have the contoured ones so are considerably more comfortable.
Having sampled a Class 331 recently I'd certainly agree with that. They will be well suited for their purpose. The lack of seat spacers due to the DfT-imposed gangway width is the let-down.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Alright 701 support club!! Calm down. Firstly the seats are the same. Look at them. Ironing board through and through. I can guarantee the seats are just as bad.

Secondly, how is a tiny table an improvement? even the 377s are better and thats not just because of the bigger table!

thirdly, don’t patronise me, i have every right to reply to this thread and discuss the 701s as do you, do it in a decent way or dont at all. And none of you have been in a 701 either?!

look as much as iam glad the 455s are going. The 707s are an unecessary removal

You start by mocking the 701 support club and then a bit later ask to be treated with respect... you also have managed to cause a stir on the SWR repaint thread... just a bit of advice but perhaps you should read your posts 2 or 3 times to see if they’re confrontational?

based purely on the photograph evidence, they look like a 707 mark 2 interior. There is minor improvements but they’ll still be a marked improvement over the 455/456 which they replace. These units on the whole need to move as many people as quickly as possible. It’s not until you start getting at the extremities of their operating area such as New line/Epsom/Reading (possibly shepperton and Chessington) that comfort becomes relevant.

In my opinion they’ll be welcome on the whole, except for replacing 458s which could have been good units had they been looked after.

Any news if the 701s have this special toilet they were supposed to have which converts urine into water and dries faeces and paper?

Bigfoot

In my opinion they’ll be welcome on the whole, except for replacing 458s which could have been good units had they been looked after.

Any news if the 701s have this special toilet they were supposed to have which converts urine into water and dries faeces and paper?

Sadly the build quality of the 458s is letting them down, compounded by a lack of maintenance.

The 701s are being fitted with toilets that will filter the water and dump that on the tracks whilst retaining the solids in a pumpable slurry as there is no way every train could be emptied as regularly as they would require if retaining all liquids due to depot capacities.

I'll try and find the source when I have time, although someone else might beat me to it.

On Moderation
Sadly the build quality of the 458s is letting them down, compounded by a lack of maintenance.
It’s not the build quality that is the issue, it’s SWR’s “scorched earth” approach to maintenance across the fleet that is the problem.