• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

samuelmorris

Established Member
As much as progress is needed, the way the Aventras turned out (SWR’s 701s being a prime example) does make them a huge downgrade from the Electrostar - that being said, when the Aventras work, the overall ride quality is a lot better IMO.
In the beginning, Electrostars also did not work. It takes a while for a new rolling stock product to mature. Some fleets take longer than others. Quite why the 701s are the worst example when they should have been one of the simpler ones I'm not sure though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Goldfish62

Established Member
In the beginning, Electrostars also did not work. It takes a while for a new rolling stock product to mature. Some fleets take longer than others. Quite why the 701s are the worst example when they should have been one of the simpler ones I'm not sure though.
Yes, you're right there. The bathtub curve of reliability as Roger Ford says.

Re the 701 specifically it's been highlighted earlier in this thread that this particular order of stock appears to have been subject to particularly poor build quality and quality control in order to make up for delays that had already set in before the pandemic delayed things even further. Big mistake. Had they been built properly it's more than likely many would have been in service by now.

fgwrich

Established Member
No seat tables on the majority of the coaches they replace though. I'll take a toilet over a table.
But compared to a similarly kitted out Desiro it is a bit of a disappointing omission. Certainly a continual dumbing down of quality on certain routes (the Junipers as built had seatback tables and were, QC and reliability aside, not bad units inside and perfect on the Reading route).

Then again, I’ve come to expect nothing less from SWR.

Goldfish62

Established Member
No seat tables on the majority of the coaches they replace though. I'll take a toilet over a table.
Agreed, but both even better. I do a lot of work on the train, often while munching on lunch at the same time, and on the 450s and 458s either sit at the full table in 1st Class or if not available an airline seat with folding table.

I will clearly need to do an octopus impression on the 701s.

samuelmorris

Established Member
But compared to a similarly kitted out Desiro it is a bit of a disappointing omission. Certainly a continual dumbing down of quality on certain routes (the Junipers as built had seatback tables and were, QC and reliability aside, not bad units inside and perfect on the Reading route).

The 3+2 is certainly a bit daft in light of the pandemic, but I feel like the difference between the 720s and 701s will be quite stark. Granted the 720s will be doing slightly longer distance services but in terms of journey time, there's not a lot in it, so arguably it doesn't really matter. The 730s will put both to shame but they are admittedly doing longer distance than either. To me, the 701s are basically like if Bombardier were given the spec for the 700s (minus the first class). Even the colour scheme is almost the same.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

The 450 doesn’t have the small table between the bays that 701s have though, and as a local to the SWR network who often travels in groups, I will appreciate those for sure.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The 450 doesn’t have the small table between the bays that 701s have though, and as a local to the SWR network who often travels in groups, I will appreciate those for sure.
That'll certainly be good, but it does make the omission of seat back tables even odder.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Yes, you're right there. The bathtub curve of reliability as Roger Ford says.

Re the 701 specifically it's been highlighted earlier in this thread that this particular order of stock appears to have been subject to particularly poor build quality and quality control in order to make up for delays that had already set in before the pandemic delayed things even further. Big mistake. Had they been built properly it's more than likely many would have been in service by now.
710/720's ive been on weren't an issue and GA happy to put 2 or more into traffic every week currently so given 701's are built in the same factory things don't add up.

Goldfish62

Established Member
710/720's ive been on weren't an issue and GA happy to put 2 or more into traffic every week currently so given 701's are built in the same factory things don't add up.
There was a post explaining why there was the difference a while back on this thread.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
There was a post explaining why there was the difference a while back on this thread.
be good if Alstom gave their side of the story.

Mind you as new 701's are still being hauled to Eastleigh for storage one has to presume by now that build issues have been dealt with before they leave Derby.

Snow1964

Established Member

Mind you as new 701's are still being hauled to Eastleigh for storage one has to presume by now that build issues have been dealt with before they leave Derby.

It also directly implies that something (some parts, software or whatever) is not ready when they leave the factory. In other words Derby is not making them to handover condition.

Basic commercial reality is train builder would try and supply them, get them handed over and get paid. Manufacturers normally only stockpile if delivery is running early, and before customer is ready.

We know the first ones are about 29 months late and final ones 14 months late, so the storage not in customers sidings, means not ready to be handed over. If they were then somewhere like new Feltham depot would be awash with them.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
It also directly implies that something (some parts, software or whatever) is not ready when they leave the factory. In other words Derby is not making them to handover condition.
GA seem to be content though with three new ones put into traffic last week.
We know the first ones are about 29 months late and final ones 14 months late, so the storage not in customers sidings, means not ready to be handed over. If they were then somewhere like new Feltham depot would be awash with them.
Argh didn't realise that part of Eastleigh wasn't an SWR stabling facility so thanks for that clarity.

fgwrich

Established Member

Basic commercial reality is train builder would try and supply them, get them handed over and get paid. Manufacturers normally only stockpile if delivery is running early, and before customer is ready.

Quite, but I rather get the impression from Alstom's statement on the BBC South article that they aren't willing to provide a hint, apology or frankly even much of a care on the matter - by answering "We have nothing further to add" to SWR's pretty damming statement isn't a good look for them. You could argue that they are putting their time and effort into fixing them, a simple statement would suffice this, but Alstom seem to almost enjoy a poor reputation in the UK where anything seems to be something of an inconvenience to them (see the HST refurbishment / MTU's big win for that).

Argh didn't realise that part of Eastleigh wasn't an SWR stabling facility so thanks for that clarity.
The majority of the Eastleigh units are being stored in the Arriva TMD (and where the test runs are being operated from), the units being worked on by Alstom will be in the Arlington operated works. I can imagine storage at neither site will be particularly cheap, and I'm surprised that after close to 2 years Arriva hasn't asked them to move on yet.

AlexNL

Established Member
Quite, but I rather get the impression from Alstom's statement on the BBC South article that they aren't willing to provide a hint, apology or frankly even much of a care on the matter - by answering "We have nothing further to add" to SWR's pretty damming statement isn't a good look for them. You could argue that they are putting their time and effort into fixing them, a simple statement would suffice this, but Alstom seem to almost enjoy a poor reputation in the UK where anything seems to be something of an inconvenience to them (see the HST refurbishment / MTU's big win for that).
Given the enormous delay to the 701 programme, it's very likely that lawyers are actively involved in the situation. Anything Alstom says about the matter, no matter how insignificant it may be, may be seen by the opposing party's legal team as an admission of guilt or liability which they will then use against Alstom. Perhaps in an attempt to get out of the contract or to get more compensation for damages.

Not too long ago Alstom lost the Talent 3 order from ÖBB. The Class 701 order is much bigger in size, losing that would be a headache.

43102EMR

Established Member

The GA 720s have a different cab layout I believe - not to mention 133 units for them have been in construction since 2017/18, and knock-on effects of the TfL order delays have caused a huge backlog…

Bigfoot

I can imagine storage at neither site will be particularly cheap, and I'm surprised that after close to 2 years Arriva hasn't asked them to move on yet.
Unless Arriva have a different customer who will pay more to use the site why would they want to ask them to leave? The longer they sit the more money they earn and operational costs are covered.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The GA 720s have a different cab layout I believe - not to mention 133 units for them have been in construction since 2017/18, and knock-on effects of the TfL order delays have caused a huge backlog…
Photos of the respective cabs are difficult to distinguish. The driver's desks look virtually identical.

I'm not convinced that the cab is such a major issue compared to the various other faults on the units. From what drivers on the 345s and 720s say the too bright LED lights and loud warnings also exist on them and ASLEF finds them acceptable, if somewhat irritating. As for the position of the parked wiper, I can't begin to fathom that one given the restricted cab windscreen view of all other SWR units (707 excepted).

Been a swopover of units at Bournemouth Depot today for mods:

5Q44 10+00 Eastleigh Depot to Bournemouth Depot with a return leg

5Q59 13+13 Bournemouth Depot to Eastleigh Depot.

Sadly I cannot furnish which units were involved.

FOCTOC

Been a swopover of units at Bournemouth Depot today for mods:

5Q44 10+00 Eastleigh Depot to Bournemouth Depot with a return leg

5Q59 13+13 Bournemouth Depot to Eastleigh Depot.

Sadly I cannot furnish which units were involved.
037 down, 030 back to Eastleigh.

fgwrich

Established Member
Unless Arriva have a different customer who will pay more to use the site why would they want to ask them to leave? The longer they sit the more money they earn and operational costs are covered.
I was more thinking that, as Eastleigh TMD is the main depot for the XC Fleet in the South, Arriva might want some of their roads back. That said, that's unlikely while the naff hourly covid timetable remains in place and the sets continue to run doubled up.

Bigfoot

I was more thinking that, as Eastleigh TMD is the main depot for the XC Fleet in the South, Arriva might want some of their roads back. That said, that's unlikely while the naff hourly covid timetable remains in place and the sets continue to run doubled up.
My point still stands, unless Arriva want to rent out space that they need for their own stock to shoot themselves in the foot? Or is it their job to know how much space that they need and how much they can make money from through use by someone else. :lol:

Today - 5Q10 0749 Derby Litchurch Lane to Eastleigh Depot 47727 hauling U.701507, dep 154 late!!

Juniper Driver

Established Member
I passed a 701 at Winchester (Baltic Sidings) just after 6am on Monday 31/01/2022…I was on 444008 and coupled up to 444041 in Bournemouth Middle sidings.When I got back up the other end the 701 was in Bournemouth Down Platform.(I thought may be coupling up in the platform as other drivers had told me they had been but the 701 there explains why not)
Worked the 444's to London.
Next day asleep in Clapham Yard was 444008 and 444041 which I took to Basingstoke…It went on to Portsmouth.:p