• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carlisle

Established Member
It must indeed be getting to some sort of record. I wonder if we'll get to the stage that the whole class is delivered
The period those 317s sat unused at Bedford & Cricklewood will still take some beating I’d have thought :s

Goldfish62

Established Member
The period those 317s sat unused at Bedford & Cricklewood will still take some beating I’d have thought :s
The first units were delivered in 1981 and eventually entered service in March 1983, so I think the 701s beat that.

Carlisle

Established Member
Ok, didn’t realise they’d taken longer than the 317s, suppose Covid & its repercussions fostered an environment where virtually any businesses can delay almost whatever it chooses without being crucified.

Last edited:

Towers

Established Member
Regarding the cab doors, whether they are manual or auto it still shouldn't be possible for the train to be running with them open. Unless they have no interlock, which I think very highly unlikely. We've heard reports of them falling off of their runners, Aslef apparently think they're unreasonably stiff to operate; that along with the presumed fault of the interlock not working would all tend to add up to suggest some very poor workmanship in their installation and fitting.

Fincra5

Established Member
Regarding the cab doors, whether they are manual or auto it still shouldn't be possible for the train to be running with them open. Unless they have no interlock, which I think very highly unlikely. We've heard reports of them falling off of their runners, Aslef apparently think they're unreasonably stiff to operate; that along with the presumed fault of the interlock not working would all tend to add up to suggest some very poor workmanship in their installation and fitting.
I'd imagine the unit being dragged is "Aux'd Off" so Traction Interlock wouldn't be an issue.

Elorith

Possibly a fault with the Traction Interlock Switch system.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There are now 3 701s at Clapham Yard.
701 037 nearest to the up main, then 701 047 and long term resident 701 025 in the usual place.

There's also at least five of the six roads in West Wimbledon shed ( the one nearest the line ) occupied by 701s, but I'm not sure which units they are.

Goldfish62

Established Member
701 037 nearest to the up main, then 701 047 and long term resident 701 025 in the usual place.

There's also at least five of the six roads in West Wimbledon shed ( the one nearest the line ) occupied by 701s, but I'm not sure which units they are.
There are five at Feltham depot.

There is a move this afternoon 5Q59 13+24 Wimbledon Park to Bournemouth Depot for a 701 if it runs.

Elorith

Was speaking with an engineer the other day who reckoned there are more problems with them now than there were this time last year.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Was speaking with an engineer the other day who reckoned there are more problems with them now than there were this time last year.
as in more problems identified, or as in more stuff has broken because of how long they've been standing around not in service?

fgwrich

Established Member
as in more problems identified, or as in more stuff has broken because of how long they've been standing around not in service?
Quite possibly the latter, modern EMUs don't like sitting around doing nowt. Even dragging them around to and from Derby / Old Dalby / Eastleigh / Worksop / Derby wont be doing them favours as although it keeps the wheels turning, it isn't powering the units up / giving the traction systems, doors or onboard electronics any work to do.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Quite possibly the latter, modern EMUs don't like sitting around doing nowt. Even dragging them around to and from Derby / Old Dalby / Eastleigh / Worksop / Derby wont be doing them favours as although it keeps the wheels turning, it isn't powering the units up / giving the traction systems, doors or onboard electronics any work to do.
I think it's been shown that no trains like being sat around for ages, not just modern ones. Class 442 for example.

Modern Railways reports that it's understood that 14 units had been "sold" to SWR by mid-August. Presumably what they actually mean is that Rock Rail South Western has bought 14 units for leasing to SWR.

Desiro123

Funny isnt it. Later electrostars/turbostars which are a Bombardier product of course are of semi manual plug door design (air assisted to initially push the door outwards) and need to be slammed shut like older electrostars/turbostars. They seem to be extemely efficient.

Why dont designers learn lessons.

Dont have that residual air problem on electrostars... although they are manual close. Seems to be a vast array of door designs.... another downside to our fragmented railway.
Electrostar doors are electrically driven

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Modern Railways reports that it's understood that 14 units had been "sold" to SWR by mid-August. Presumably what they actually mean is that Rock Rail South Western has bought 14 units for leasing to SWR.
Rock Rail South Western have reported 14 units as assets that are charged against the loans they've raised to fund the acquisition. The last ones added were on 29/6/22. Feels like they are being cautious about accepting anymore but im not sure what the timeline requirements are for updating companies house.

Roger B

Rock Rail South Western have reported 14 units as assets that are charged against the loans they've raised to fund the acquisition. The last ones added were on 29/6/22. Feels like they are being cautious about accepting anymore but im not sure what the timeline requirements are for updating companies house.
It's unusual to update Companies House other than for scheduled financial reporting cycles - usually annually following a company's financial year-end. Acquisition of assets alone would be very unlikely to necessitate any interaction with Companies House.

Snow1964

Established Member
It's unusual to update Companies House other than for scheduled financial reporting cycles - usually annually following a company's financial year-end. Acquisition of assets alone would be very unlikely to necessitate any interaction with Companies House.

Although any new debentures or charges would normally be registered.

The most recently added ones (in June) were units : 701 004, 701 016, 701 019, 701 023, 701 025, 701 029, 701 032, 701 035,

and a long list of spare parts on charge 10 (this one doesn’t have a set of vehicles forming a unit, so looks to me like 14 charges, but only 13 units).

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
If a business gets some form of insolvency action and you haven't registered the charges within 21 days of them being created you as lender risk the assets not automatically defaulting to you. It seems lenders have the primary interest to make sure the charges are raised as they are the ones who need protection from creditors so this to me suggests no more have been formally accepted. Mind you as Rock Rail SW have already shelled huge amounts of cash not sure what the lenders protection will be now if this were all to go belly up albeit seems highly unlikely.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
701 037 nearest to the up main, then 701 047 and long term resident 701 025 in the usual spot.
I passed Clapham yard yesterday afternoon around 15.00. Can anyone confirm please whether these units are still the 3 at Clapham? I did sight 3 but couldn't quite get all the numbers.

Future

I wonder if anyone will be able to see all the 701s before they’re even in service :lol:

Established Member
I passed Clapham yard yesterday afternoon around 15.00. Can anyone confirm please whether these units are still the 3 at Clapham? I did sight 3 but couldn't quite get all the numbers.
I passed yesterday and can confirm they are still the same 3.