• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
A comment during discussions at SWR MTM this week suggested early next year although that seems very optimistic. Waterloo to Windsor first with dedicated diagrams and crews: Reading line itself not far behind.

SWR are still saying Reading services first on their website (but possibly website is out of date)

Once the first train arrives on the Reading route, rolling out the entire fleet of 60 ten-car and 30 five-car trains is expected to take up to two years.

Also intrigued why map of their routes goes to Milford.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
SWR are still saying Reading services first on their website (but possibly website is out of date)

Also intrigued why map of their routes goes to Milford.
Perhaps "Reading route" is a very broad way of saying the Reading lines - as in the non South Western Main Line side stopping services.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that we can rule out a future 701 operated service to Milford ;)
Indeed - I can't imagine, operationally speaking, it would make much sense to have a service that terminates there, so I'm now wondering if either it's simply sloppiness by whoever made the map or instead the possibility that they could extend further than that and be augmenting 450s / 444s on some services. Seems strange that they've included Alton and Farnborough as well.

jackot

Indeed - I can't imagine, operationally speaking, it would make much sense to have a service that terminates there, so I'm now wondering if either it's simply sloppiness by whoever made the map or instead the possibility that they could extend further than that and be augmenting 450s / 444s on some services. Seems strange that they've included Alton and Farnborough as well.
I asked someone at SWR a few months ago about them operating to Alton according to the map, and they said that there was potential for them to be used on Ascot to Aldershot or Guildford to Farnham, but that there were no plans in place for them to operate Waterloo to Alton (luckily)

Goldfish62

Established Member
I asked someone at SWR a few months ago about them operating to Alton according to the map, and they said that there was potential for them to be used on Ascot to Aldershot or Guildford to Farnham, but that there were no plans in place for them to operate Waterloo to Alton (luckily)
As it stands even if the "December 2022 timetable" is implemented eventually SWR would appear to have a fair surplus of rolling stock once all the 701s are introduced.

In the interests of standardisation dump the 458s and put the 701s on Alton and Basingstoke stoppers.

On Moderation
As it stands even if the "December 2022 timetable" is implemented eventually SWR would appear to have a fair surplus of rolling stock once all the 701s are introduced.

In the interests of standardisation dump the 458s and put the 701s on Alton and Basingstoke stoppers.
As an alternative scenario, it will take around 2 years for the 701s to enter service, which is likely to take until 2024/5. The Section 54 on the 450s expires in 2025: I would bet that they cost more to lease than the 458s. So the better bet would be to dump some of the 450s.

Bumpkin

Saw a 701 on its way to Feltham Depot from Wimbledon Park on the way home from work today. Only saw it briefly so no clue on the ID of it

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

For sure no money should be spent on 458 refurb given the capacity advantage the 701 bring to a network already operating well below covid level of demand.

Elorith

A comment during discussions at SWR MTM this week suggested early next year although that seems very optimistic. Waterloo to Windsor first with dedicated diagrams and crews: Reading line itself not far behind.
From what I've seen over the last few years, it seems like it's always being claimed they'll be introduced "within in the next few months" etc. but it never come to pass.

southern442

Established Member
For sure no money should be spent on 458 refurb given the capacity advantage the 701 bring to a network already operating well below covid level of demand.
With that being said, my understanding of the reduced capacity timetable on SWR is that part of the reason it is there is because they don't have enough stock for a full service (covid demand being ONE issue, but not the ONLY issue here)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
With that being said, my understanding of the reduced capacity timetable on SWR is that part of the reason it is there is because they don't have enough stock for a full service (covid demand being ONE issue, but not the ONLY issue here)
While they wouldn't admit it, I am sure you're right

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
There were 5 or 6 spares sets at C.Jcn this afternoon - are there that many rush hour extras still? plus plenty more at Wimbledon so doesn't strike me as an operator that is short of stock.

swr444

There were 5 or 6 spares sets at C.Jcn this afternoon - are there that many rush hour extras still? plus plenty more at Wimbledon so doesn't strike me as an operator that is short of stock.
Nearly all the stuff you see at Clapham yard in the daytime is used in the peaks. A lot of the stuff in Wimbledon is either out of use or spares in case something breaks down.

py_megapixel

Established Member
"March or May" sounds rather oddly specific. What caused April to not be considered? :lol:
Maybe they don't want to announce a date in April in case people think it's an April Fools' joke. (I know that's not really how that works, but still...)

Problem is it wouldn't work because nobody would believe them.

the sniper

Established Member
"Tell 'em March or May, but NOT April, we don't want any mention of April 1st..."?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Another possibility that the (young) person doing the publicity does not know their months. Makes me an old git.

amazon1675

Chicken and egg situation? Until enough 701s are fully accepted I guess one can't start staff training,and without staff training they can't be introduced. Until that little circle is squared they will remain to me 10-NIS units.Am I correct in thinking Mr Ford is doing a feature in MR shortly?

Goldfish62

Established Member
Chicken and egg situation? Until enough 701s are fully accepted I guess one can't start staff training,and without staff training they can't be introduced. Until that little circle is squared they will remain to me 10-NIS units.Am I correct in thinking Mr Ford is doing a feature in MR shortly?
16 10 car units have been accepted to date. Surely that's enough?!

amazon1675

One would think so,although that still leaves 44 in limbo. I assume that all 60 of the 10 car units have now actually been built? Given the current state of play with GBR(or not) ,and stock withdrawals and cascades (or not),we may be awaiting some time to ride on one in service. Luckily they don't have a 'use by' date. One day a book will be written about this saga.

Goldfish62

Established Member
One would think so,although that still leaves 44 in limbo. I assume that all 60 of the 10 car units have now actually been built? Given the current state of play with GBR(or not) ,and stock withdrawals and cascades (or not),we may be awaiting some time to ride on one in service. Luckily they don't have a 'use by' date. One day a book will be written about this saga.
It leaves 44 units yet to be accepted, not "in limbo". There are plenty of other fleets where substantial numbers of built trains are awaiting acceptance.

I see no reason why the current state of the railways should further delay training and service entry. WMT have just started putting their 196s into service after some considerable delay - the current turmoil hasn't prevented that, and nor should it.

amazon1675

Do we know the official position from SWR ? The 701 'can' has already been kicked down a very long road.Perhaps the issue is now more related to human resources matters than faulty equipment issues ? As you say,everyone else seems to be able to intruduce new fleets,some quicker than others however. Post Covid,surely we should be further forward than at present?