• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 - SWT: Introduction into service

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark001uk

Established Member
Looking at the timings it seems like it's just being parked up in Bournemouth depot for a couple of hours during the peak time, why aren't they continuing onto either Poole or Weymouth?

Isn't there a traction supply index restriction on that part of the line?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Looking at the timings it seems like it's just being parked up in Bournemouth depot for a couple of hours during the peak time, why aren't they continuing onto either Poole or Weymouth?

Has it ever occurred to you that the primary purpose of testing is not actually to cover every last yard of the network?

Previous experience suggests that any SWT train type may go to Bournemouth depot for work at some stage, but it doesn't follow from that they need to go to Weymouth as well does it?

infobleep

Veteran Member
The problem with the routes operated by 455s is that the ticket offices are often not staffed so the station loos are locked out of use.

In this day and age of equality and disability rights, I think new trains should have loos. Disabilities are not just confined to people in wheelchairs or the blind and deaf.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
The idea is to increase the number of passengers on metro services which you don't maximise by adding 2 cars then taking away 1/3 of car...
The alternative to providing the extra capacity taken up by the disabled loos is then going for 11 or 12 car max and lengthening all the platforms again.
Well I'll be interested in seeing how they achieve the loos on all metro services now that First / MTR have agreed to this.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For discussion of the future of the 707s in light of the new First/MTR franchise award please use the new thread which has been set up for that purpose. This thread should only be used to discuss their introduction into service rather than their potential future.

Many thanks!

WWTownEnth

Does anyone know the DATE OF DELIVERY of the next units?

Also, is 17 April still planned as the DATE OF FIRST SERVICE?

Thanks.

spark001uk

Established Member
Do we know if the plan for introducing these into service is going to be interrupted now its changing hands soon? It's a bit hard to actually discuss this point without mentioning their imminent future at some point! Are we allowed a bit of overlap of the discussions within reason? ;)

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Thanks.

I've heard that ROG are DELIVERING them direct to EMR Kingsbury to cut out the middle man...

:lol:

Less shouty, more please perhaps...

AM9

Veteran Member

Thanks.

Why not? I would assume that the diagrams have been lodged so it would cause havoc to remove the 707s from them just because the next franchise holder may replace the class in 2-3 years.

WWTownEnth

Why not? I would assume that the diagrams have been lodged so it would cause havoc to remove the 707s from them just because the next franchise holder may replace the class in 2-3 years.

I never suggested that they wouldn't be introduced at all.

I asked if April 17 was still the date of first service.

Obviously quite a separate point.

AM9

Veteran Member
I assume that AM9 meant to reply to spark001uk rather than you.

Yes, sorry, I did it from the wrong post. I doubt that the plans for their roll-out this year will be affected at all as the increase in passenger numbers experienced so far and expected over the next couple of years will still happen. The fact that SWT's successor wants to order new trains won't make any difference to their early days in the franchise, let alone Stagecoach's already committed programme.

spark001uk

Established Member
Is it still a bit too early to say how many / which diagrams will go out as 707s on 17th? (if indeed this is a concrete date)

TEW

Established Member
AFAIK, it's just 2 units in service at first. The first 458/5 diagrams were on a nice, simple all day Waterloo-Windsor diagram, staying as a 10-car all day. I would expect it will be similar for the first 707s.

GW43125

Established Member
AFAIK, it's just 2 units in service at first. The first 458/5 diagrams were on a nice, simple all day Waterloo-Windsor diagram, staying as a 10-car all day. I would expect it will be similar for the first 707s.

Let's see how long they last. The 458/5s died 2 or 3 times in the first week.

Bromley boy

Established Member
So it seems, but why has this seemingly simple automatic switching not been implemented? I can't think of any situation where it would be necessary to proceed with reds at the front, so why not make it impossible by directional movement-activated switching?

I can't imagine even depot rules would want reds at the front - it's misleading to everyone, even at a walking pace. Have I missed something here?

1. Wrong direction movement of less than 400m/0.25 miles (reds front, whites rear)
2. Movement which is then detained on line used by trains running in opposite direction, in dark/snow/fog/tunnel (this one may no longer apply)

There are also some situations where trains must display whites at both ends.

Fairly esoteric situations which rarely arise, but which necessitate independent switching and control of lights irrespective of movement.

Very easy to leave with reds-up on the leading end. Staff will usually tell you by tapping their heads (meaning "head-light") and you can simply switch them over immediately. Far worse is leaving with whites-up on the rear as you then need to change ends in order to correct them. I've been on a train where this happened. The signaller contacted the driver by GSMR and instructed him to stop and correct the rear lights at the next station.

Last edited:

Roast Veg

Established Member
I thought some units can do a remote change to tail lights at the other end? The 222s certainly have a button to do so.

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
I thought some units can do a remote change to tail lights at the other end? The 222s certainly have a button to do so.

That would certainly make sense and I'm sure is true for the latest units.

Of the types I sign:

The older type (465) has internal repeater indicators that tell you what the white lights on the front of your local cab are doing (ie they mirror the position of the switches, but could alert you if a bulb has blown). They don't show anything for reds so after setting the reds when keying-off it's good practice to check these visually before changing ends.

The newer type (376) has red and white repeaters for both the local cab and the rear cab of the formation you are driving (either 5 car or 10 car). However there's still no capability to control the rear lights from the driving cab. Therefore it's still necessary to change ends to adjust them, but it can at least alert you before you depart (if you notice!).

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member

Really? if they have then I assume it's a retrofit as that facility certainly didn't exist at the end of 2010, or if it did then I was certainly never given directions to the button on my traction course

Roast Veg

Established Member
Really? if they have then I assume it's a retrofit as that facility certainly didn't exist at the end of 2010, or if it did then I was certainly never given directions to the button on my traction course

It seems I have been totally misinformed, this feature has never been fitted.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
On modernish to new units that have a TMS, does the TMS sound an alarm if the train is driven more then a certain distance from stationary and/or driven above a certain speed with the lights set wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.