• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

class 70s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member
The all-over military green is an improvement, it seems to disguise the awful styling a little.

As for the Freightliner do, somebody was taking a huge gamble using a 70 as the star turn! :|

sometime last year there were some jokes about a railway version of Top Gear, I'm wondering if someone from Freightliner were taking notes <D

Geezah1984

7009 9 Is due off Crewe Bashford Hall to Brush Loughborough at 11 am Friday. Move looks set to be another Freightliner move.

Magic, thanks for that. I will see if I can see this somewhere and get film/photos.

I assume it would go?:

Crewe - Stoke-On-Trent - Uttoxeter - Barrow-On-Trent - Long Eaton - Loughborough

this is a guess as it looks the most direct. Is this correct.

Yew

Established Member
In the tradition of the British Rail ‘Britannia’-class steam locomotives, 70025 will remained unnamed for the time being, since we have been advised by our legal team that naming a locomotive ‘Gary Glitter’ is likely to be unpopular. Research is ongoing as to whether ‘Michael Jackson’ would be an acceptable substitute."

Black Sabbath? they where pretty important in the 70's music scene.

fgwrich

Established Member
Magic, thanks for that. I will see if I can see this somewhere and get film/photos.

I assume it would go?:

Crewe - Stoke-On-Trent - Uttoxeter - Barrow-On-Trent - Long Eaton - Loughborough

Im not sure as im going on the information ive been sent, but it's probably the most likely.

Phil6219

I've been told that 70099 will be departing Crewe at 13:20 on Friday.

I would love to get over and see it but if it will be heading south (as suggested) it will be out of my grasp :(

Phil 8-)

kennythelad

I assume it would go?:

Don't be surprised if it goes via Stafford - Lich TV LL/HL - Stenson Jct - Sheet Stores - Loughborough.

Sorry, off topic but original Malcolm 66412 has left the UK to start its new career in poland. What was its last working under both DRS and freightliner and is there any more DBS and freightliner 66s going to Poland sometime soon?

fgwrich

Established Member
7009 9 Does seem to like being rather evasive.

No news yet regarding its transfer from Crewe to Loughborough other than it looks set to be spending the weekend at Crewe Basford Hall where it currently resides. 70099 has been reallocated from MBDL to Freightliner's DHLT pool. This is to facilitate its transfer about the UK system by Freightliner. Once at Brush Traction 70099 will be undergoing a number of tests and evaluations. In the longer term, whilst it is known that GBRf have an interest in it, recent indications infer that Colas may also have an interest as well...

Over on WNXX.Com

So could this become a reality then? (Just hope Colas dosent decide to use it on the Log Trains!)

gallery_6899_468_97837.jpg

(From EWSjo's RM Web Gallery - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/11828-colas-rail-livery-on-a-class-70/)

Last edited:

GB

Established Member
Unless these locos are a lot cheaper than the US ones, I suspect GBs only interest in them will be for publicity.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Would be ideal for log trains if they pursue their wish to use the WCML instead of the S&C.

Photohunter71

So,can someone tell me where they got info from about GBRf's interest in class 70's? I had thought Vossloh would be their preferred choice so it looks likely we could have a mixed fleet again,with Vossloh types,(UK light 3000's,4000's and possibility of G2000C-C's) GE-GE/Tulomsas,Brush for diesels then? Waving bye bye to the GM's in the UK.Looks like Dalian/CNR is out of the running then?

7009 9 Does seem to like being rather evasive.

Over on WNXX.Com

So could this become a reality then? (Just hope Colas dosent decide to use it on the Log Trains!)

gallery_6899_468_97837.jpg

(From EWSjo's RM Web Gallery - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/11828-colas-rail-livery-on-a-class-70/)

Having had a look at the mock ups on the website, i think whilst its not the most asthetically pleasing of loco's, i does imo look quite good in DB Red and the Cl58 livery.

bolli

Back on form - from WNXX:

70014 (DFGH) suffered an electrical fire whilst working this morning's 6F65 Portbury to East Usk train and had to be rescued by 66602.

:roll:

fgwrich

Established Member
It's on the move at last (well, tommorow it is!).

70099 Crewe Basford Hall 20/10/12, HBB

0Z62 Crewe Basford Hall to Brush Traction, Loughborough 23/10/12
Crewe Basford Hall 1014
Stafford 1055
Litchfield Trent Valley 1122
Wichnor Junction 1155
Burton 1201
Stenson Junction 1211
Loughborough 1312
Brush Traction, Loughborough 1319
FL Traction & 70099

Nonsense

There are a few images and vids of this kicking around the net now. Interesting to see it with warning stripe and stickers but no yellow panel yet. It suits it.

Deltic1

It says in the Railway Magizine that 70012 has been repaired and is working as a shunter in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.