• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 730 LNR & WMR Delivery/test Updates

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I

350s operate all services that should operate 350s and that's all that matters. They are have the same operating Specs, just different seating/internal arrangements.

But the different seating specs do matter to some who travel on them on long journeys.
Operations-led not customer focussed, a criticism often levelled at the railways unfortunately.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But the different seating specs do matter to some who travel on them on long journeys.
Operations-led not customer focussed, a criticism often levelled at the railways unfortunately.

The families and groups who often travel on the Crewes seem to quite like the groups of 6, so it's a bit horses for courses. The ideal would probably be to form the 8 car sets of one of each.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The families and groups who often travel on the Crewes seem to quite like the groups of 6, so it's a bit horses for courses. The ideal would probably be to form the 8 car sets of one of each.
It is also ideal to have one of each seat colour to help with UDS stations. The ideal combo being /3+/4, but I presume there are more seats on a /2 so they are well suited on the Liverpool services despite being a pain to walk through.

Just because ut doesn't suit your needs perfectly, doesn't detract from usability.

These units can be mixed, and are, which helps with stock rotation and does not impact on capacity.

Mixing 3 & 5 car 730s with different speeds impacts far more

Last edited:

boxerdog

It is also ideal to have one of each seat colour to help with UDS stations. The ideal combo being /3+/4, but I presume there are more seats on a /2 so they are well suited on the Liverpool services despite being a pain to walk through.

Just because ut doesn't suit your needs perfectly, doesn't detract from usability.

These units can be mixed, and are, which helps with stock rotation and does not impact on capacity.

Mixing 3 & 5 car 730s with different speeds impacts far more
I believe the different subclasses of 730s cannot work in multiple.

Sent this on the general 319 forum but figured it's also relevant to this one.
I reckon that they'll be gone before the new year, according to a member of staff I asked a few weeks ago. Could be in conjunction with the december timetable change, but tbh I think they'll be lucky to make it that far. Does anyone know how long the WMR 730s will be here for before the LNWR ones come into service? Bizarrely some of the services that would be 319s are showing as 321/dusty bins today on rtt (2T58 as an example as of 18.52) but most if not all others are 350s. Hope they haven't already gone but I'm fearing that I missed some info somewhere and have already been taken out of service.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I believe the different subclasses of 730s cannot work in multiple.
They physically can, but the software is incompatible so they could only by coupled when not in service. That is how a DI at my depot explained it earlier in the year after being on the test track

stXeve

They physically can, but the software is incompatible so they could only by coupled when not in service. That is how a DI at my depot explained it earlier in the year after being on the test track
Any train with the same coupler can mechanically couple together but previous replies that the 2 different 730s not being compatible are correct.

branchline

Don’t know which circuit yet but first 730’s looking to be out in service Monday. Drivers currently being signed off from ECS moves to passenger service this week.

Silverlinky

Don’t know which circuit yet but first 730’s looking to be out in service Monday. Drivers currently being signed off from ECS moves to passenger service this week.
Confirmed as per my post #1221 in this thread.....

5B02 0553 Bletchley CS to Bletchley
2B02 0604 Bletchley to Euston
2T09 0724 Euston to Tring
2T10 0810 Tring to Euston
5C10 0905 Euston to Camden
5T49 1534 Camden to Euston
2T49 1554 Euston to Tring
2T50 1641 Tring to Euston
2B49 1735 Euston to Bletchley
5B59 1843 Bletchley to Bletchley CS

The second circuit is due to go live on Tuesday 21st November.

This is as follows....

5T02 0643 Bletchley CS to Tring
2T02 0710 Tring to Euston
2T15 0804 Euston to Tring
2T16 0851 Tring to Euston
5C16 0950 Euston to Camden
5K45 1615 Camden to Euston
2K45 1639 Euston to Milton Keynes
2K46 1757 Milton Keynes to Euston
2T69 1924 Euston to Tring
2Y70 2015 Tring to Euston
2K63 2106 Euston to Milton Keynes
5B63 2223 Milton Keynes to Bletchley CS

Both circuits 6 car 730/0

On Tuesday 21st the morning part of the circuit will be 319's, these will then be left at Camden and replaced for the afternoon part by 730's which are already stored at Camden. From Wednesday on the whole circuit will be 730 operated.

The third circuit is provisionally planned to revert to 730 operation from Monday 27th November. This may involve a similar setup on day 1 whereby the 319's operate the morning part, are dumped at Camden and replaced by 730's for the afternoon. This potentially would be the date of the last LNR 319 operated passenger services. The 319 units are all required to be off Bletchley Carriage sidings and Kings Heath to make room for the 350's currently stabled at Bletchley to be stabled at Kings Heath and 730's currently stored at Camden to be stabled at Bletchley.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some great news there, I might be able to get over there reasonably soon to do that 1639 Euston to MKC, mind you the 1554 Euston-Tring could be fitted in quite well too I think. I shall have to see what happens in the coming weeks, but this is good news!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Some great news there, I might be able to get over there reasonably soon to do that 1639 Euston to MKC, mind you the 1554 Euston-Tring could be fitted in quite well too I think. I shall have to see what happens in the coming weeks, but this is good news!
I'm aiming at the 15.54 myself, along with another forum member.

Would anyone know where in the train to be to be closest to the footbridge at harrow and Wealdstone? We'll be trying ( and probably failing! ) to get the +2 back to Euston on the 16.22 in order to get across to Fenchurch Street for the first of the three 720/6 diagrams. We could do it from the 16.37 back, but we'd have to sprint from Bank down Lombard Street to stand any chance...

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Might be able to get one in but I'm aiming to cover a fair few East London Wetherspoons next Friday so trains won't be my priority, apart from getting me between the Spoons.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I'm aiming at the 15.54 myself, along with another forum member.

Would anyone know where in the train to be to be closest to the footbridge at harrow and Wealdstone? We'll be trying ( and probably failing! ) to get the +2 back to Euston on the 16.22 in order to get across to Fenchurch Street for the first of the three 720/6 diagrams. We could do it from the 16.37 back, but we'd have to sprint from Bank down Lombard Street to stand any chance...
Might be trying that myself later in the week (busy on Monday). Any suggestion which would be quicker from Euston to Fenchurch Street? Northern to Bank (5 stops), or Circle/Met Euston Square to Aldgate (6 stops, shorter walk)?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
January 27th is a tentative date for 730s on the Walsall-Wolves route according to Aslef LLCs

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Might be trying that myself later in the week (busy on Monday). Any suggestion which would be quicker from Euston to Fenchurch Street? Northern to Bank (5 stops), or Circle/Met Euston Square to Aldgate (6 stops, shorter walk)?
The northern to Bank I think - consider the difference in walking distance at the Euston end, especially if you can take advantage of the short cut from the centre platforms at Euston.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
2B02 0604 Bletchley to London Euston visible on Camden Railcam as being a pair of 730s this morning.

Snow1964

Established Member
According to various French press (which I have used google translate to read) seems the recent share price crash due to high inventory and cash flow problems is going to be tackled.

The versions vary, but seems the Aventra (presumably 730 and 701 and any remaining others) are big part of the problem and Alstom Board want them all sold by companies year end (31 March 2024)

I am guessing there is about to be big focus on getting those units still stored at Derby, Worksop and Doncaster through their acceptance runs so Alstom can be paid, and the short term (relatively expensive) financing loans to cover cash flow do not roll on.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Apologies for not being able to search this thread for key words, but what is the method of operation on them? Is it driver open / driver close, driver open / guard close or guard open / guard close?

AJDesiro

Apologies for not being able to search this thread for key words, but what is the method of operation on them? Is it driver open / driver close, driver open / guard close or guard open / guard close?
AFAIK, guard open / guard close.