• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 93 Tri-mode Loco

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Has it yet operated under it's own power on anything other than the factory sidings ?

Presume it moved on diesel or batteries at Loughborough, but probably not on AC.

Presume the diesel can charge the batteries if necessary. You'd think ROG would trial it at Daventry moving trains in anc out of wired roads

RKynaston

Path for tomorrow's early morning move to Tyseley

Has it yet operated under it's own power on anything other than the factory sidings ?

Presume it moved on diesel or batteries at Loughborough, but probably not on AC.

Presume the diesel can charge the batteries if necessary. You'd think ROG would trial it at Daventry moving trains in anc out of wired roads

No, static testing was done at Crewe earlier this year, other than that (and electrical testing at UKRL Loughborough Works which was a road move each way) the loco has not been outside of Worksop. Has moved on diesel in the UK (may have done AC moves within Crewe yard as part of its static testing), and moved on all three systems in Spain but not been on the main line.

As I understand it from manufacturer sources, the locomotive primarily runs off battery power, to give instant traction, with the diesel engine kicking in to provide the electrical power above a certain speed, below that it kicks in purely to charge the batteries. Very different beast from other AC locos in its operation. Has a lot of potential, but ROG are nine months late (and counting) on their original plan for doing dynamic testing on the WCML, which it still has not done yet. All ten were suppose to be in the UK by Christmas 2023, and there's no sign of 93002-93010 (that are all complete and stored in Valencia) coming to the UK.

Logic would suggest we are on the verge of dynamic testing, especially if ROG want to show this off at Rail Live, otherwise a lot of people are going to be asking awkward questions such as "so you have a UK first, modern tri-mode energy efficient multi-million pound locomotive ... why aren't you doing anything with it? Whats the problem?"

leomartin125

Path for tomorrow's early morning move to Tyseley

No, static testing was done at Crewe earlier this year, other than that (and electrical testing at UKRL Loughborough Works which was a road move each way) the loco has not been outside of Worksop. Has moved on diesel in the UK (may have done AC moves within Crewe yard as part of its static testing), and moved on all three systems in Spain but not been on the main line.

As I understand it from manufacturer sources, the locomotive primarily runs off battery power, to give instant traction, with the diesel engine kicking in to provide the electrical power above a certain speed, below that it kicks in purely to charge the batteries. Very different beast from other AC locos in its operation. Has a lot of potential, but ROG are nine months late (and counting) on their original plan for doing dynamic testing on the WCML, which it still has not done yet. All ten were suppose to be in the UK by Christmas 2023, and there's no sign of 93002-93010 (that are all complete and stored in Valencia) coming to the UK.

Logic would suggest we are on the verge of dynamic testing, especially if ROG want to show this off at Rail Live, otherwise a lot of people are going to be asking awkward questions such as "so you have a UK first, modern tri-mode energy efficient multi-million pound locomotive ... why aren't you doing anything with it? Whats the problem?"

As far as I know, Crewe South Yard is unelectrified sidings. Hence why the 365s stored there that needed to be powered up every once in a while on the government contract were dragged to/from Crewe IEMD to do that.

As such, it is impossible to do electrical testing in Crewe within the South Yard confides. And since it hasn’t done any mainline testing yet, apart from when it was at Loughborough, it has never touched the UK OLE yet.

RKynaston

As far as I know, Crewe South Yard is unelectrified sidings. Hence why the 365s stored there that needed to be powered up every once in a while on the government contract were dragged to/from Crewe IEMD to do that.

As such, it is impossible to do electrical testing in Crewe within the South Yard confides. And since it hasn’t done any mainline testing yet, apart from when it was at Loughborough, it has never touched the UK OLE yet.
Course I forgot South Yard was not electrified! Doh! Well done @leomartin125 :)

sjpowermac

Established Member
Path is in for 93001 to return to Worksop on Saturday 18th May, path from rtt below

Many thanks indeed for the info. Unfortunately, as of 0830, shown as cancelled.

There’s an alternative path for Monday:

0Q26 1010 Tyseley T.M.D. to Worksop Down Yard

Established Member
Many thanks indeed for the info. Unfortunately, as of 0830, shown as cancelled.

There’s an alternative path for Monday:

0Q26 1010 Tyseley T.M.D. to Worksop Down Yard
Currently sat visible outside at Tyseley (from what I’ve been told).

leomartin125

Parts of Crewe South Yard are electrified however.

Here is a lovely photo from Rail Operations Group showing the (lack of) electrification in Crewe South Yard:

If the area was electrified, then the 365s wouldn’t have needed to be taken to/from Crewe IEMD for ‘powering up’ (similarly to the 379s being taken to/from Worksop to Doncaster Belmont Yard for the same reason currently).

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a gentle reminder that this is a Traction and Rolling stock section thread to discuss Class 93 locos. If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread in the appropriate forum section. Thanks :)

Right I am not an engineer and have no knowledge of train wheels in any technical way but most reckon the 93 has hardly moved and yet needs wheel turning. The mystery deepens but I am sure someone can give a logical reason.

Nottingham59

Established Member
Right I am not an engineer and have no knowledge of train wheels in any technical way but most reckon the 93 has hardly moved and yet needs wheel turning. The mystery deepens but I am sure someone can give a logical reason.
Does seem strange. I wonder if they've been doing braking tests and the wheelslip protection didn't work?

AndrewE

Established Member
I wondered whether the locos were made with a "continental" wheel profile for their testing and transport across Europe, and so need turning to what is deemed acceptable for UK operation. It could even be a NR requirement that tyres are turned to "our" profile before any serious amount of running here, regardless of what the manufacturers say...
I don't remember it happening with the 66s, but then again, the US rail/tyre tread profiles coud be closer to ours.

But I'm sure somebody will know better!

zwk500

Veteran Member
I wondered whether the locos were made with a "continental" wheel profile for their testing and transport across Europe, and so need turning to what is deemed acceptable for UK operation. It could even be a NR requirement that tyres are turned to "our" profile before any serious amount of running here, regardless of what the manufacturers say...
I don't remember it happening with the 66s, but then again, the US rail/tyre tread profiles coud be closer to ours.

But I'm sure somebody will know better!
I think Eurostar would have a problem if that were so, especially prior to 2007. Did the new Tyne & Wear metro stock or tube stock delivered via the tunnel get returned immeidately upon arrival in the UK?

AndrewE

Established Member
I think Eurostar would have a problem if that were so, especially prior to 2007. Did the new Tyne & Wear metro stock or tube stock delivered via the tunnel get returned immeidately upon arrival in the UK?
I have no idea, maybe they did, It was just a supposition to try to explain why locos which have moved so little on the rail (here) might need their tyres turning.

Have you got any suggestions why this might be needed? If not, why not try to think a bit, imagine a good or even plausible reason and contribute to the conversation.

A better reply would have been to point out that freight vehicles run happily through the tunnel and on the networks both sides, as did Transfesa wagons via train ferries. So manufactured wheel profile probably isn't relevant.

Last edited:

Suraggu

It can be for multiple reasons but the most logical reason is to ensure the wheels are in spec.

When vehicles receive a wheelset change for instance. Sometimes the new profile of the wheel isn't in spec and has to be turned on the wheel lathe.

hwl

Established Member
Some testing may require wheels to be a known calibrated and identical diameter for testing, profile is probably a red herring. This would be for the first one only.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I have no idea, maybe they did, It was just a supposition to try to explain why locos which have moved so little on the rail (here) might need their tyres turning.

Have you got any suggestions why this might be needed? If not, why not try to think a bit, imagine a good or even plausible reason and contribute to the conversation.
I do not have any idea why it might be needed, hence why I asked about other stock that had been delivered through the tunnel to try and understand what may be contributing factors. Gathering information before making suggestions is quite helpful.
Many things contribute to requiring the wheels needing turning. If it was related to some technical difference between European and GB wheel profiles then other stock that has recently been delivered could have helped in the understanding.
A better reply would have been to point out that freight vehicles run happily through the tunnel and on the networks both sides, as did Transfesa wagons via train ferries. So manufactured wheel profile probably isn't relevant.
I do not see what this adds over the point already made by Eurostar.

Nottingham59

Established Member
Does seem strange. I wonder if they've been doing braking tests and the wheelslip protection didn't work?
The first Class 810 for EMR got wheelflats in testing at Old Dalby, and had to go to Etches Park to have the wheels turned.
Rumours that 810001 has sustained serious wheelflats at Old Dalby, it’s stopped all testing until they figure out how to sort the wheel flats. Dalby does not have a wheel lathe.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
It is possible that 93001 could have picked up some wheel damage on its transit from Europe or indeed testing has done some damage. I can imagine that however slight the damage or irregularity perfection will be required for testing of the first in class.

Let us see if more testing occurs soon.

Not a lot to go on at the moment.

leomartin125

It is possible that 93001 could have picked up some wheel damage on its transit from Europe or indeed testing has done some damage. I can imagine that however slight the damage or irregularity perfection will be required for testing of the first in class.

Let us see if more testing occurs soon.

Not a lot to go on at the moment.

Also bear in mind that earlier in the year, the loco spent most of its time being dragged in between two barrier wagons. This is rather unusual, guessing for brake force reasons as no brakes on the 93. Perhaps this resulted in some damage to the wheels, just a thought.

Established Member
Wnxx reports that testing is due to start next week between Worksop and Sheffield.

Rail Quest

Wnxx reports that testing is due to start next week between Worksop and Sheffield.
Thanks. Presumable RTT links for Bank Holiday Monday if anyone's interested below. If she's definitely running despite the bank holiday, me thinks she'll be pretty well spotted!

Suraggu

Thanks. Presumable RTT links for Bank Holiday Monday if anyone's interested below. If she's definitely running despite the bank holiday, me thinks she'll be pretty well spotted!
Don't forget these schedules of a light engine move from Derby RTC and returning in the evening:

Tuesdays runs judging by RTT uploads:

The difference from Mondays runs and Tuesdays runs are the headcode. Anytime 93001 has been moved on the network it has run under a Qxx headcode as it hasn't passed its acceptance testing. I suspect 93001 won't be out until Tuesday.