• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Commuter put bare swollen feet on a seat and refused to take them down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tspaul26

Established Member
I do remember seeing a bloke with his feet up on the seat opposite, getting a hefty whack from another bloke with a rolled up umbrella across his shins, he did move his feet and it was many years ago.

My hand slipped - total butterfingers I am.

Normally I confine myself to staring at the offender and the offender's feet then back at the offender. They tend to get the message eventually and if it makes them feel uncomfortable as well then that is all to the good.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
If I ran a train company and people put feet on seats, my punishment wouldn't be a fine. Most people have a smartphone with a camera and some form of social media nowadays so I'd get my passengers to publicly shame them :D

takno

Established Member
If I ran a train company and people put feet on seats, my punishment wouldn't be a fine. Most people have a smartphone with a camera and some form of social media nowadays so I'd get my passengers to publicly shame them :D

This guy deliberately got himself onto new sites with the story. I don't think some kind of social media shaming would have had much of an effect to be honest.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
This guy deliberately got himself onto new sites with the story. I don't think some kind of social media shaming would have had much of an effect to be honest.

Then post the CCTV to YouTube. Get family & friends to see it. And if they persist, give them 2 options of take a fine or spend a working week hoovering seats. And I'd have fun with the CCTV images. Have a feet on seat offender of the month. Mock them. I'd also release adresses but that's doxing & breaching the data protection act. And before people go on about how posting the CCTV footage to YouTube is breaching data protection, look at the whole corbyn vs VTEC "traingate" incident.

pemma

Veteran Member
Then post the CCTV to YouTube. Get family & friends to see it. And if they persist, give them 2 options of take a fine or spend a working week hoovering seats. And I'd have fun with the CCTV images. Have a feet on seat offender of the month. Mock them. I'd also release adresses but that's doxing & breaching the data protection act. And before people go on about how posting the CCTV footage to YouTube is breaching data protection, look at the whole corbyn vs VTEC "traingate" incident.

It was a Northern 150 on the Buxton line. CCTV is some hi-tech for futuristic development which has not yet arrived when it comes to Northern's west side DMUs. ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If someone wishes to occupy another seat to which they then occupy by placing their feet upon it, should they be liable to pay the ticket cost of that extra occupied seat of the same journey that they are making, as they have effectively made that seat unavailable to other passengers?

I have no knowledge of ticketing arrangements whatsoever.

furnessvale

Established Member
Sadly it is only mereseyrail who takes action with the feet on seat byelaw :(

I was also thinking of the "unfit to travel" byelaw.

A few years ago on the Buxton line we had a tramp (with a free council pass) who insisted on travelling in the rush hour. He would have half a coach to himself with everyone else crammed in the other half. Even so, the smell was overpowering. Eventually, he was prevented from travelling using the byelaws.

elliotjelliot

I think this a brilliant idea, though I would also include a fine, makes a bit of extra money for the company :)

al78

Established Member
If someone wishes to occupy another seat to which they then occupy by placing their feet upon it, should they be liable to pay the ticket cost of that extra occupied seat of the same journey that they are making, as they have effectively made that seat unavailable to other passengers?

I have no knowledge of ticketing arrangements whatsoever.

I don't think that logic works. A rail ticket just gives someone use of the service of travelling by train, it does not include the right to a seat*. A train is not an aircraft. It is a case of a moral, not a financial argument.

*Advance tickets include seat reservation, but the price of an advance is mostly lower that the equivalent walk-up fare so even here it is difficult to claim any portion of the price literally goes toward the use of a seat.

r37

Just yesterday I had someone put his bare feet across my legs and onto the seat next to me! (he was sat opposite me at a table.) I asked him politely to move them and received a grunt in reply.

I've also seen more than one person clipping their toenails and just leaving the clippings all over the floor. It's absolutely disgusting... How can these people do things like this without feeling even slightly embarrassed?

al78

Established Member
Just yesterday I had someone put his bare feet across my legs and onto the seat next to me! (he was sat opposite me at a table.) I asked him politely to move them and received a grunt in reply.

I've also seen more than one person clipping their toenails and just leaving the clippings all over the floor. It's absolutely disgusting... How can these people do things like this without feeling even slightly embarrassed?

Their parents failed to teach them social etiquette.

They are mentally ill.

They are a sociopath.

They act like dick heads all the time and never get called out on it, so why stop now?

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
I don't think that logic works. A rail ticket just gives someone use of the service of travelling by train, it does not include the right to a seat*. A train is not an aircraft. It is a case of a moral, not a financial argument.

*Advance tickets include seat reservation, but the price of an advance is mostly lower that the equivalent walk-up fare so even here it is difficult to claim any portion of the price literally goes toward the use of a seat.

I think you can say a ticket does not guarantee you a seat but neither does a ticket allow you to occupy two seats. There's been cases where musicians have purchased an additional ticket for their instrument and in those I think it's fair to say if two seats weren't available at the time they boarded then they wasted their money doing that but if two seats are available then another passenger with a ticket doesn't have the right to ask them to move their instrument.

al78

Established Member
I think you can say a ticket does not guarantee you a seat but neither does a ticket allow you to occupy two seats. There's been cases where musicians have purchased an additional ticket for their instrument and in those I think it's fair to say if two seats weren't available at the time they boarded then they wasted their money doing that but if two seats are available then another passenger with a ticket doesn't have the right to ask them to move their instrument.

What happens in the case where a passenger occupies two seats because they have brought so much luggage it won't fit in the racks, so the put it on the seat next to them?

There is also the question of whether the very largest people who physically take up two seats have to buy two tickets, but probably best not to go there.

pemma

Veteran Member
What happens in the case where a passenger occupies two seats because they have brought so much luggage it won't fit in the racks, so the put it on the seat next to them?

On busy trains operated by TPE and EMT that I've been on guards have made announcements that luggage has to be moved off any unoccupied seats so standing passengers can sit down. I've never heard a guard do that on a Northern Pacer service with 3+2 seating when passengers put bags on the middle seat though.

TeaTrain

Ah those good ole days of passengers not giving a flying f. :roll: that story brought back many a memory of people putting their feet on the seats. I don't know why but its like the worst thing for me :(. I can deal with people mucking about with tickets or any other crap that comes along; but this one....nope...

Working the trains along the North Wales coast it was a nightmare! Most of the time if you let them know you cannot put your feet on the seats they listen. Sometimes they don't. And if there were pax standing up and they still refused to move I would simply make an announcement apologising to the people standing up that there are seats available but the person wearing etc feels that they are too important to move to allow others to sit down.

Almost always worked <D

Is it wrong? Yeh probably naming and shaming them is'nt the best way to go but along that line there is no help ever, no BTP, No police services that can get to you etc.

Fun times!!

Last edited:

There is also the question of whether the very largest people who physically take up two seats have to buy two tickets, but probably best not to go there.

Or even fill all the space between the seats with their bags so as to prevent people sitting.

A0wen

On Moderation
At the end of the day, this is about social and anti-social behaviour.

Some 'medical' ailments are unavoidable - endlessly sneezing if you have hayfever for example is difficult to mitigate or avoid.

But putting your feet up on the seats is unnecessary. And there's a multitude of other things people do on trains which isn't entirely sociable - belching loudly and deliberately, farting, not exhibiting basic personal hygiene that kind of thing.

r37

belching loudly and deliberately,

This really, really bugs me. I see people doing it often and I don't quite get it. Is it to show off? Do they think it makes them look attractive or impressive? Because I just think it looks disgusting!

daikilo

Established Member
Firstly, feet on seats is not allowed by most and maybe all TOCs (rightly).

Secondly, as far as I am aware, no medical condition actually "requires" feet to be raised to a horizonral position v. the waist. In some it may be beneficial but not to do so is never life threatening.

Finally, do any TOCs ban wearing sandals or similar?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
At the end of the day, this is about social and anti-social behaviour.

Some 'medical' ailments are unavoidable - endlessly sneezing if you have hayfever for example is difficult to mitigate or avoid.

But putting your feet up on the seats is unnecessary. And there's a multitude of other things people do on trains which isn't entirely sociable - belching loudly and deliberately, farting, not exhibiting basic personal hygiene that kind of thing.

When I was at secondary school in the early 1970s couple of lad in my PT class received the slipper for farting loudly in class. :oops:

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
On busy trains operated by TPE and EMT that I've been on guards have made announcements that luggage has to be moved off any unoccupied seats so standing passengers can sit down. I've never heard a guard do that on a Northern Pacer service with 3+2 seating when passengers put bags on the middle seat though.

Well of course you haven't as we are such poor guards on Northern according to you. Well I have news for you most of us do warn passengers when its full and standing and I have even warned people I will charge for an extra ticket if refused to be moved.

But as JCollins said yes it was a Buxton service but it also was a double set with No Gangway so the Guard could not have been visible. I do hate people putting feet on seats even when quiet but if it is quiet and they put a paper or a bag etc on the seat and then put their feet up I don't have a problem.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

I've moved luggage off seats so I can sit down. I find a firm, assertive approach works best.

snail

Established Member
Well of course you haven't as we are such poor guards on Northern according to you. Well I have news for you most of us do warn passengers when its full and standing and I have even warned people I will charge for an extra ticket if refused to be moved.
Well that's better than the majority of TPE conductors I have seen. Yes, they make the announcement about moving luggage but then walk down the train and say nothing to people doing it.

boxy321

And another... It's not all teenagers on London Midland's opposing seats like I thought.

Attachments

• feet.jpg
    feet.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

astock5000

In my opinion there's nothing at all wrong with bare feet on a train, but putting feet (with or without shoes) the seats is wrong - many trains have had notices requesting passengers not to do that. Even when the passenger has taken their shoes off when doing that then their feet may be relatively clean but that's when unpleasant odours may occur, while if they were travelling in bare feet, flip flops, or I suppose certain types of sandals, they will be much less likely to smell. In any case seats are there for other people to sit on and not to use as a foot rest, and of course clipping toenails and other behaviour mentioned in this thread surely isn't acceptable, so I'd say that doesn't matter what people wear on their feet, if anything, as long as they keep them on or close to the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.