• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 340 :: Voting

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 8.6%

Votes: 2 5.7%

Votes: 6 17.1%

Votes: 2 5.7%

Votes: 1 2.9%

Votes: 4 11.4%

Votes: 7 20.0%

Votes: 4 11.4%

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mumrar

Established Member
I've gone for number 10, classic location and done well with the good fortune of the barge too.

I would have voted for number 6 but the sensor on the camera has a slow scanning process that makes the front appear very sloped instead of straight during the long exposure.

Lampshade

Established Member
Number 8 here, nice location and I have a bit of a soft spot for the 444s :)

I was considering number 5 but it looks almost edited (I'm not saying it is) because of the transparency, not sure it would have been going that fast leaving the platform.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I went for 12 - probably in a losing cause, but I felt it to be the most attractive picture

mumrar

Established Member
not sure it would have been going that fast leaving the platform.
But there are two factors that influence how much a train appears blurred, one is speed of the train the second of course speed of the shutter. It is quite possible, as it's night time, that the train in 5 could have been doing 10mph, whereas the one in number 4 is going much faster, but doesn't have as much blur due to the shutter speed

I like how the blue and red of SWT have blended to form a purple colour in photo 5, however my vote lies with number 4.

curly42

It would be interesting to know how people view the entries for the competition.Do you judge from seeing them all on one page or do you click on each individual one to get the full effect ?
I would imagine (judging by some of the inane comments over the last few weeks) that there are people who don't spend too long studying each shot,but,are they in a minority or a majority,that's the question.
So,come on,let us know - How Do You Judge Them ?

gingerheid

Established Member
I view the ones that I reckon I like from the thumbnails, then compare those.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Number 5, in yet another plastic competition...:|

I view the whole gallery page first then decide which ones to click on if any. After all, first impressions are everything! On this occasion, I didn't bother clicking on any of the actual photos and judged purely on the thumbnails. No doubt plenty will disagree with this way of doing things, but I don't have the patience to look at 17 photos of plastic in any great detail. If it had been decent traction, then yes I would take my time and be picky.

Number 5 was a close call with that one at Shilton, but I just like the blur on number 5 more.

Daimler

Established Member
haha what a load of sh*t, 15 is best.

I don't wish to appear rude in any way, but perhaps some constructive criticism would be nice (and indeed useful!) , rather than blank dismissal of people's work - I know I put effort into mine, and I'm sure others here do too (judging by - in my opinion - the standard of entries, people clearly do). We may not be professionals, but it still rankles a little to hear that sort of commentary without justification - particularly when you consider how opinion-based anything like this is.

Anyway, out of various - in my opinion - pretty good photos, I preferred No. 4. It's just generally really successful - good to look at. Others I liked were 10 (classic barge shot!) and 15 (a nice head on shot - an unusual view when you think about it!).

Last edited:

Established Member

Why are you still here if you're just going to be an obnoxious c*nt towards everyone else?
Did you even enter anything?

As Daimler says, some of us actually put a fair amount of effort into getting photos for this, and then you just come along and dismiss all of them except one with no reasoning at all, and just decide that your opinion is law and no one elses can be right.

curly42

See my earlier comments regarding infantile postings - this is the sort of nonsense that has driven several people that I know away from this competition and the forum.
Perhaps the poster would give us the benefit of further insights into just why they believe the entries to be so awful,on a purely technical level of course.

mumrar

Established Member
We've beaten our head against this pri...sorry, brick wall before with Demps. This voting system is a democracy, and it's the best on balance. I feel sorry you feel the need to shout about your opinion because most people don't agree with you. Perhaps if you could either qualify your reasons and maybe why you feel your opinion is right, are you a photographic editor.

Lampshade

Established Member

Well let us know which one yours is and then we'll see who's in a position to comment.

I put a fair bit of work into entering a good shot, I often take up to 20 pictures of the same thing to make sure I get the best shot, plus I live in the centre of Manchester so I need to travel a fair way to even enter most weeks (Manchester's electrified so I have to this week for example); so unless you can be remotely constructive, don't bother.

Demps

My oppinion is generaly relitive to the content of the photos. Sorry if i offended anyone, i was merely commenting on the traction involved, not the photos, stop being all emo about it.

mumrar

Established Member
In this case being what exactly? All the photos contain Desiros, so explain, without the use of expletives, why you feel 15 is the best. What about that photo makes it stand out from the rest to you? You won't earn any respect by swearing and shouting down others opinions

Demps

Purely because they contain desiros, which may be utterly unhelpfull, but its a subject which does not interest me one bit, and im hinting that a lot of the competition are rather dull.

I'm not after respect, 15 is the best photo because its a different concept as per the norm, technically accurate, just a shame about the distractions. it was between 04 and 02 in that order. The rest are monotone, technically inaccurate, show no flare and are not in the same league, examples; 01, 03, 06, 14 and 17 prodominently.

In the logical words of George whitebread. "I say what i like, and i like what i bloody well say!"

Last edited:

mumrar

Established Member
With the detail of your reply, I am in agreement as to a lot of points raised. We did not vote for the same photos, and we have a different outlook on some shots too. But stating that you feel some lack flare and aren't of the same level is something I'd agree with. It's so much better than saying 'what a load of *****'. There are people from all levels of photographic skill and equipment on this forum, so obviously some shots won't hit the same highs but that's not to say they don't deserve a place in the competition.

David

Established Member
If the subject doesn't interest you, then why look and post?

Anyway, after having a look at the pictures, theres 2 or 3 that I would consider to be "album filler" material. IE. Photos taken just to record what you've seen at that particular time and location. Also, if I had taken #6, then that photo wouldn't have been published at all, as there does appear to be a problem with the camera settings.

The rest of the photos are generally well thought out and presented, but there is a couple of pictures that stand out from the rest, and I'm having a hard time choosing between them.

mumrar

Established Member
Number 6 doesn't have a problem with the settings, I've seen a similar effect from compact digitals and camera phones. When it takes a long exposure shot, it only scans the sensor for that duration. As an example, if we guess the shutter speed at 1/2 second, the first row of pixels at the top of the image were captured 1/2 second before the row of pixels at the bottom. That therefore adds a slant to any moving objects as each row of pixels progresses down the image and is captured slightly later.

curly42

Now this is the sort of discussion that should be taking place.We all have our own viewpoints and it would be a good thing to express them.
Thanks to Demps for explaining his line of thinking - I'll go along with the views expressed a la filler material - although that doesn't rule them out as qualified entries.

Lampshade

Established Member
Regarding #6, I'm not sure what the line speed is through Mauldeth Road but could anything sub-SLR take that perfectly with the train going full whack through there?

GB

Established Member
What do you mean "monotone" or "technically inaccurate"?

And I have to agree with what David said...why bother looking and commenting if it does not interest you? Its not like the title of the thread is misleading.

mumrar

Established Member
Regarding #6, I'm not sure what the line speed is through Mauldeth Road but could anything sub-SLR take that perfectly with the train going full whack through there?
I think you are misunderstanding the problem. A Digital SLR most likely would not have froze the train, but although blurred due to speed the front should still appear flat, not slanted, that's what makes it a little odd looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.