• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 433 :: Railway Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Plenty of scope for controversy here. What would happen if a picture was uploaded of one of us without our prior knowledge?

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
That's not a problem - it's not illegal. Newspapers publish pictures of people without there permission.

Aictos

Established Member
:lol:

I was wondering when this subject would come up!!!

Oswyntail

Established Member
That's not a problem - it's not illegal. Newspapers publish pictures of people without there permission.
A minefield! I believe that, amongst other things, if anyone in the picture objects to its use or publication it must be pulled.

Lampshade

Established Member
I could just upload a picture of me on a night out, it doesn't specifically say it has to be at a railway station :lol:

Crossover

Established Member
In typical fashion I seem to have numerous pictures of trains but no enthusiasts anywhere near them! (well, enthusiasts for moaning that their train was late, maybe, but not the type were after here!!!)

Really should have got a picture of the numerous people stood at the end of Piccadilly station the other week I think it was!!!

I think I have found a possible though :)

Lampshade

Established Member
Really should have got a picture of the numerous people stood at the end of Piccadilly station the other week I think it was!!!

There was someone sat there in a deckchair on platform 9 earlier, wish I'd have got a picture :shock:

moonrakerz

Not so.

But photographers have to be very careful that their photos would not be considered a breach of privacy.

http://www.wipo.int/sme/en/documents/ip_photography.htm#3.

Sorry, but this is NOT correct - there are NO Laws of privacy in the UK.

To actually quote from the Link posted:-
"Photographers may be liable for violating the privacy rights of others when they intentionally intrude in an offensive way upon someone’s private domain"
"Private Domain" usually refers to private property - in the case of photography, this means photos taken ON private property not OF private property.

This is vastly different to the statement in the post - photographers do not have to be "very" careful !

In general, photos taken in public, of anyone, are quite acceptable.
Photographers, be they amateur or professional, have enough problems without even more erroneous information on this subject being broadcast.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Best actually read the information :)
Disclosing a matter concerning someone’s private life to the public could also raise issues of privacy rights. Unless you have permission, you should refrain from publishing or distributing any photo that reveals private affairs of a person, especially if the matter publicized is of a kind that (a) would be highly offensive, and (b) is not of concern to the public. Photographs revealing sexual affairs, private debts, criminal records, certain diseases, psychological problems, etc. are likely to violate privacy rights.

Example: Suppose a beer brewery is selling a calendar that depicts an unknown person driving a car with a refreshing pint in his hand. This could raise issues of privacy because it discloses private or sensitive matters about the person.
Photographs can place someone in a false light or defame someone.xvii It can occur, for example, when a picture is airbrushed or altered in a way that exposes the subject to hatred or ridicule. It can also occur when a photo is used to illustrate text in a way that it creates a false impression. This often happens when significant information about someone is either omitted from or added to a story such that the person is portrayed in a false light.xviii

Example: A photo depicts a man who is incidentally walking in front of a brothel. Publishing that photo to illustrate an article on child prostitution could lead to a lawsuit.
The best way to protect oneself against lawsuits - when feasible and appropriate - is probably to get a prior written permission from the subject of the picture, or the (copyright) owner of any object or property to be photographed. Remember, however, that the extent of what may be legally used will be governed by the terms and context of that consent. Even when it is lawful to photograph without any authorization, it may still be advisable to get a permission. In fact, many advertisers and other potential clients demand releases before they will buy the rights to use a picture.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think you ought to read this as well - just so you don't give out erroneous information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privacy_in_English_law
Photographers need to know about legal restrictions concerning taking of photographs that include any copyright material, trademark, identifiable person or private affairs. Each time, they need to evaluate whether they should obtain prior written permission, or whether they should warn their client of the potential legal issues.
And another quote from the same site

GB

Established Member
In general, photos taken in public, of anyone, are quite acceptable.
Photographers, be they amateur or professional, have enough problems without even more erroneous information on this subject being broadcast

While this maybe the case for the actual act of taking the photograph, the goal posts soon change when it comes to publishing them in the public domain....particularly if the person is the main focus of the photograph. The Data Protection Act does have a say in this scenario according to the various sites from Google.
there are NO Laws of privacy in the UK

Um, I think you will find there is!

Last edited:

mumrar

Established Member
I think maybe this competition should be cancelled as there is just as much froth as if Class 60 gets replaced by a Class 66.

Lampshade

Established Member
I think we should add a condition that the picture has to include a train, then the person isn't the main focus of the picture and is therefore just another enthusiast looking at the same train.

mumrar

Established Member
I think we should add a condition that the picture has to include a train, then the person isn't the main focus of the picture and is therefore just another enthusiast looking at the same train.

I'm not sure that will work, whilst the enthusiast(s) is the main focus of the competition, if they aren't the main focus of the image then it won't really fit the bill. It will then be in danger of becoming another traction vote fest :P

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I think there are far more sensitive types out there, than our fraternity. I can't envisage any of us getting riled coz we're in someone's photo - normally it's they who get riled coz we ARE in the picture (open days, front-coach bellowers on railtours; that sort of thing).
Besides, the inclusion of a few rail enthusiasts in a photo can sometimes enhance it. As long as they've got their clothes on, let's keep 'em in!

GB

Established Member
I can only speak for myself, but I would be pretty peeved to see my ugly mug uploaded to the internet without my permission...not so much if I was in the background somewhere but certainly if I was the main focus.

Ivo

Established Member
This competition just isn't going to work. I would propose a free-for-all in which everyone has until Sunday to upload whatever they can find.

theblackwatch

Established Member
This competition just isn't going to work. I would propose a free-for-all in which everyone has until Sunday to upload whatever they can find.

Were proposals asked for? A subject has already been chosen so there is no need for a for a 'free-for-all' - if you don't like it, don't enter!

curly42

And could you explain just why this competition isn't going to work ?

Ivo

Established Member
Some will complain about appearing in the album, others will be careful to avoid submitting certain images. It's just the whole privacy issue. But we have something nearly every week like this, so what does it matter? Roll on the voting.

mumrar

Established Member
I can only speak for myself, but I would be pretty peeved to see my ugly mug uploaded to the internet without my permission...not so much if I was in the background somewhere but certainly if I was the main focus.

You may not be happy, doesn't mean there's anything you can do about it. Do you think the photographer got permission to take and then publish these picture before or after? Wayne Rooney is in public, on a stag do which doesn't concern his employment, so why should it be any different??

If you had a photo of you taken in a public place there is little you can do, the camera is making public what was already public in the first place by virtue of you being there. It is a different scenario when dealing with private land however, and that's where things get thorny

Last edited:

Jordy

Established Member
Deary me, what a load of waffle in this thread. Mumrar has pretty much covered the situation above, so lets stop all this silly bickering. I'm not exactly expecting a load of photos which just show one person as the main subject of the shot anyway!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Oh for Pete's sake (assuming I'm allowed to take Pete's name in vain, without infringing upon his personal rights...). When did the sense of good humour and tongue firmly in cheek get lost in this forum? It was the key reason that kept me coming back here. I treat this in the spirit it deserves - good pictures, taken by good people, enjoyed by all. "Simples."

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I'm just glad that we have a theme that has provoked some debate! I really don't get why some people on the forum and people in general have such an issue with being in somebody else's photograph. If you want to avoid that kind of exposure perhaps living in a cave is an option, it seems to have worked for Osama.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.