• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Competition 434 :: Voting

Votes: 3 7.9%

Votes: 5 13.2%

Votes: 4 10.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 8 21.1%

• 15 - Disqualified

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mumrar

Established Member
There's a wide varied selection of traction on show this week, and various degrees of photographic achievment too. I'll come back and make a decision later on, well done to those who have entered, there's a few hits and some misses too for me, so let's see what comes out from the voting.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
No it didn't:

dan_atki said:
Overhead wires must be present in the photo, along with a train/tram underneath.

Before you ask, D(E)MUs or locomotives travelling under overhead lines but not drawing power from them will be permitted.

Nothing about trains drawing power from the OHLE being banned.

Pumbaa

Established Member
12, 14, 15 all very good. A high standard of photos this week. Went for the BW job with the kettle, in the end. 2 was just a bit too dark for my liking.

Teaboy1

Appears as though my feeble effort failed even to make shortlist let alone a vote or two...........hey ho !!!

Not much moves me with this selection, #14 does get a very highly commended, plenty of colour in there and nicely composed. Lucky with the light, water and lack of vegetation. However I too am going with the black kettle under the black sky. Its very technical to get the brooding black sky & the whisp of steam just right, so well done matey! #15 it is!

mumrar

Established Member
Number 15 - the kettle - stood out for me. They're all good photos, but that one is just so atmospheric. Is it art, I don't know, but I like it. :D
I'm afraid to say that, despite quite a few fans, notwithstanding the sepia effect, the shot in #15 has been processed within an inch of it's life. There are many easy pointers to this, such as the massive amounts of noise/digital grain at the bottom of the smokebox and the buffers. Also, the pitch black unit which is out in the open on the left versus the super bright platform under a canopy on the right of the loco. There is a halo effect glowing around the right of the smokebox too and the side of both trains visible are totally devoid of contrast.

These kind of effects can only be acheived by heavyhanded use of certain digital tools which are not permitted under the rules of the competition, and whilst dramatic it has resulted in a very false looking image to my own eyes.

I say all of this after looking very closely at the shot and of course sticking my own neck on the line, but over the years of photography I've done and all of the methods and tools I've come across, I know that all of the things I've pointed out above all indicate extremely heavy usage of processing tools way beyond brightness/contrast and levels/curves adjustments.

Jordy

Established Member
I'm not sure, it has clearly been edited and I'm not doubting anything you've written, but the rules state "No images should have objects added, moved or removed digitally." as far as I can tell this has not taken place

GB

Established Member
I thought there was a big whoha of a thread a while back detailing what was acceptable and what wasn't? As far as I recall, the results of said thread was that only basic alterations where aloud and post processing that effectivly results in a "photo" becoming a "picture" was not?

mumrar

Established Member
I thought there was a big whoha of a thread a while back detailing what was acceptable and what wasn't? As far as I recall, the results of said thread was that only basic alterations where aloud and post processing that effectivly results in a "photo" becoming a "picture" was not?
That is also what I recall as I was asked to make a tutorial which basically alluded to the basic tools mentioned in my post. There was a big whoha that had started with me being falesly accused of doing something similar, but I believe the re-iteration of what was acceptable was to be able to tweak contrast and levels/curves etc so as to correct where cameras can fall short versus our own eyesight. The editing visible in this is way beyond that kind of post processing.

dan_atki

Established Member
Appears as though my feeble effort failed even to make shortlist let alone a vote or two...........hey ho !!!

Apologies regarding this. It was decided to not include your entry as it required to be resized and couldn't be uploaded straight away. Delaying the competition any further whilst I contacted you wasn't ideal, but granted I should have informed you of this at the time - an oversight on my part for which I apologise :oops:.

For information on resizing photos, please see http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12869.

Teaboy1

OK no worries...hope you liked it though.........!! :( :(

Sent 26th, hoped that left plenty of time to............dooh!! Another day.......maybe....???

Jordy

Established Member
The gallery should be able to resize the photos itself these days!

I'm really unsure what to do about 15 personally, if the general feeling is that it should be disqualified then it will be, so post what you think...!

mumrar

Established Member
With absolutely no mind paid to the success the shot has been getting in voting, the shot has been 'overcooked' in my opinion, and has resulted in a totally unreal looking image. It is most likely easier disguised by the sepia conversion, but in colour it would doutbless look very hideous.

So in true Dragons Den style "And for that reason, I think it should be out"

jimrbrobinson

I can see where you're coming from Matt. Yes it's atmospheric. Yes it's pretty. Yes it's arty. And I like it. But if in order to achieve that, it has been 'doctored' to such a degree that it is in technical violation of the rules re. editing then so be it. In which case, I would transfer my allegiance to no. 12. :D

curly42

I'm afraid that I'll have to add my vote to the "overdone" opinion. Quite frankly I think it looks awful - I like the idea of the shot and I'd like to see the original,but,as it stands,it's just too overcooked. Might be classed as a picture but it ain't a photograph.

Teaboy1

Double whammy this week for yours truly..............!! May I recast my now defunct vote from #15??

Royal Male

near a dissused station on the Hull to Scarborough
Firstly.

It seems I have caused quite a stir with my image, and for a first image I have posted on this website.

I would like to add to this, not to clear the air, to make excuses, or to try and get the result changed. I didnt enter to win or to get an ego, just simply because I wanted to. After reading all the comments on this thread, I would have said, that the particular shot would either be loved or hated. I personally thinks it works well for the subject matter, although I accept it would not work at all with a modern loco. The image being over edited is a complete fake in all honesty, how little editing was done on that particular image is quite suprising, I shall add the editing steps at the foot of this post for you all to look at. I was unaware of any editing rules, but that was the only image I have really got with wires in as were I come from in East Yorkshire, we simply dont have the wires. Anyway, thanks to everyone who has commented on this.

Take care, Martin

The exif data is embeded in the image.

Shot at ISO 800 on a fairly flat light, with a decent sky behind the image, but nothing to add punch to the engine. So at the time of shooting, added was a ND grey graduate filter to hold the sky back. ( now is that cheating).

In Photoshop, I lightened the side of the engine, to give a little detail instead of the dark mass of blackness. I then gave the sky a quick go over with the burn tool, to add a bit more of the drama to the sky( note, it was actually quite well captured in camera). The grain you can see on the front of the engine was me with the selective sharpening tool, I did not want to add the sharpening to the full image( due to the darkness and the ISO 800) so I added it on the front, and yes it brought out too much noise, which as been redone for the files intended for prints. To finish off, I went into saturation, and then colourise and that gave the image the sepia tone. All in all it took about 3 minutes in photoshop. Now, I am fully skilled in the use of photoshop and various HDR methods etc etc, and I could have spent an eternity doing a job, but in this case, that was all I felt was needed. You like it or you dont, hey thats photography.

To be honest I liked the photo, it grabbed my eye straight away, but im no judge on the amount of editing that has been done and if that is 'acceptable' in this competition. Either way its a lovely photo and I rate it highly.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I echo what CSK said a few minutes ago, it is a lovely shot and it also caught my eye, on this occasion I left my voting till the decision had been made over if it was in or not, but if I looked soon after them being posted then it would have had my vote. As it stands I am undecided on what shot to go for.

Jordy

Established Member
Its very difficult for me to judge things like this, hence why I opened it to the community to post their thoughts. I hasten to add that everyone who replied thought it had been over edited! If it hasn't been then I can only apologise.

I hope this doesn't put you off given it was your first entry!

Anyway, congrats to Swiss Toni

thumb_Tornado.jpg

01 - EltonRoad
02 - odol
03 - sprinterguy
04 - curly42
05 - Meridian richard
06 - steve 46010
07 - Ivo
08 - Crossforth
09 - GB
10 - sellis89
11 - atomicdanny
12 - Swiss Toni
13 - 91107
14 - mumrar
15 - Royal Male
16 - 180113thomas

Swiss Toni

After seeing number 2 I didn't think I stood a chance, so thanks to those who voted for my shot.
yo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.