• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth Hale

HR2 said:
Well thats one thing settled then...NO AMD for me.
You ask for help then reject the help people kindly offered. You go and buy some Intel Crap, it wont bother me but Ill think long and hard before I spend time in getting evidence, picking out computers for you, showing you a lot of computer parts. Ta for now

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
You ask for help then reject the help people kindly offered.
You weren't the only one to offer help... :rolleyes:

AS many others have said, for the types of things that HR2 wants to do, Intel processors generally perform better and are more stable, despite whatever facts and figures you might be reading from the AMD website. ;)

class 313

Established Member
Lewisham2221 said:

AS many others have said, for the types of things that HR2 wants to do, Intel processors generally perform better and are more stable, despite whatever facts and figures you might be reading from the AMD website. ;)

More stable? Dont make me laugh!!! AMD is much better at stability

Gareth Hale

Lewisham2221 said:

Not only the AMD website, Quite a few websites. I have done many benchmarks before.
Intel are not stable, its like saying a snail is safe in a 80MPH crash and the shell is only your protection!

T

Tom

Now here's to rub salt in the wound.

You claim Intel are not stable.

I have a Linux server in this house and has been running currently from an uptime command, 237 days 13:53:05. I once had an AMD server, and it was hosting this site. It had a far worse reliability rating in my opinion as the kernel kept segfaulting regularly. Mainly as a result of the AMD processor being unable to process the Apache system fast enough. RailUK has around 3000 page views a day and manages fine on the Intel processor we are currently on.

It's a Intel Dual Xeon 3.2GHz set up in a VPS layout if anyone is interested. 2GB RAM.

The AMD processor (which Gareth claims is just as good as Intel), the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ should be the same as the Intel. Not at all.

AMD is PROVEN to be good at gaming. What Bob requires is not a gaming machine, just a simple light-usage machine which should allow simple tasks and the odd simple game. Intel is fine for that, and they are cheaper.

Remember, I suspect Bob would rather spend less on a fully organised machine than building his own machine with a chance of completely mucking it up.

compsci

It would be timely to remember that there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Benchmarks are statistics and can always be made to say what you want given sufficient tweaking.

Its beginning to sound like going to Bainbridges and getting a mac mini off the shelf would be by far the easiest solution. It will just work, and you'll get excellent customer service if it breaks.

The biggest catch that I can see is if the external hard drives are formatted as NTFS, which can be read but not written by mac OS. You can check by right clicking on the drive in My Computer and going to Properties. The file system type is above the pie chart. If it says FAT32 then a mac will have no problem using it.

H

HR2

Gareth Hale said:
You ask for help then reject the help people kindly offered. You go and buy some Intel Crap, it wont bother me but Ill think long and hard before I spend time in getting evidence, picking out computers for you, showing you a lot of computer parts. Ta for now

Don't talk toffeewallop Gareth.

I asked for aid to choose a new PC. I did NOT ask for others to choose what I buy. I am taking all the opinions I see on board and will work from there. However if I follow every bit of info I get here I'll have a computer that will take me to the stars! If you think my rejection of a certain bit of kit is a personal insult then you are too sensitive.

Thanks Compscii for the assist. BTW it must be a while since you've been into town lad. Bainbridges no longer exists. It's now John Lewis having taken on the group name a while back.

class 313

Established Member
Tom said:
Now here's to rub salt in the wound.

You claim Intel are not stable.

I have a Linux server in this house and has been running currently from an uptime command, 237 days 13:53:05. I once had an AMD server, and it was hosting this site. It had a far worse reliability rating in my opinion as the kernel kept segfaulting regularly. Mainly as a result of the AMD processor being unable to process the Apache system fast enough. RailUK has around 3000 page views a day and manages fine on the Intel processor we are currently on.

It's a Intel Dual Xeon 3.2GHz set up in a VPS layout if anyone is interested. 2GB RAM.

The AMD processor (which Gareth claims is just as good as Intel), the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ should be the same as the Intel. Not at all.

AMD is PROVEN to be good at gaming. What Bob requires is not a gaming machine, just a simple light-usage machine which should allow simple tasks and the odd simple game. Intel is fine for that, and they are cheaper.

Remember, I suspect Bob would rather spend less on a fully organised machine than building his own machine with a chance of completely mucking it up.

BUT we were talking about CPUs hows that got to do with a CPU?

Nick W

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
I also agree with that, you can use Tune-up in Windows or Dos in DOS to recover stuff, Windows XP has a fantasticly high compatablility rating also, where Apple Doesn't.
A java application will run in Mac OS X as seemlessly as a native application. No need to download JVM like you would for windows as Apple go to the trouble for you and enchance it.

An application using the X11 toolkit, and which will compile under linux, BSD, etc will often compile under mac (and there's a large amount of people who make tweaks for the program to run on all X11 systems including mac os X.

The G5 macs have backward compatibilty with the classic Mac Apps (not that I use it anymore).

Both Applications using the Carbon and Cocoa frameworks can be compiled into a single execlution application package (no dlls to worry about) that can run on both the IBM and Intel processer macs natively.

Now I know you can download for humour value, apps from the original windows 1 (1986) and have them run on windows XP, but i'm interested in modern day compatibility)

Intel doesnt have its Memory bus built into the processor which equals SLOWER PROCESSING SPEED as it has to go through the motherboard bus.
Where is the L1 cache on an intel core processor then?
I thought it was on each core.
Where is the L2 cache on an intel core processor then?
I thought it was shared by each core but still on the chip.

And as well as Tom, I belive the even better Xeon processor performs well verses AMD.

AMD 64 + Windows XP is the perfect combo!
Intel + Apple is a worse combo ever known to man
AMD 64 + Apple Dont think there is one
Intel + Windows XP = Crappy Combo, Slow, Sluggish and non responsive!
Now this is just silly.

A combo that many people working on films and graphics use worldwide happens to be the worse combo known to man.

What about the Gareth Hale + Computer combo?

I thought id time Mircrosoft Word loading a 3MB file today, it took 1.187 seconds to open it!
I thought id time Microsoft Word loading a blank document, lets just say, it was so fast that I can not time it.

Intel cannot even compete with that!
MS Word was already preloaded into the %WINROOT%\prefetch folder. I'm glad you enjoy that feature. How often do you have to reinstall to maintain prefetch performance?

How much money are AMD and Apple paying Gareth Hale and Nick W, respectively?
Nothing, I just feel sorry for the windows users out there. Can't remember the amount of times I found people who had been affected by the windows xp / 2000 vunerability that allowed anyone to load a virus on your computer from the net.

T

Tom

class 313 said:

NEWS FLASH: It's a Central Processing Unit, if a CPU segfaults, it causes a reboot to the MOTHERBOARD BIOS.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Nick W said:
Nothing, I just feel sorry for the windows users out there. Can't remember the amount of times I found people who had been affected by the windows xp / 2000 vunerability that allowed anyone to load a virus on your computer from the net.
Mac OS and Linux aren't immune from exploits and the like though, but are simply less targetted due to Windows being the 'norm'.

class 313

Established Member
Nick W said:
A java application will run in Mac OS X as seemlessly as a native application. No need to download JVM like you would for windows as Apple go to the trouble for you and enchance it.

An application using the X11 toolkit, and which will compile under linux, BSD, etc will often compile under mac (and there's a large amount of people who make tweaks for the program to run on all X11 systems including mac os X.

[sarcastic]OH NO! The shock horror! thats a big enough reason to go to apple/[sarcastic]

It doesnt take long to download it.

Tom B

Established Member
class 313 said:

Do you knwo anything about computers?

Lewisham2221 said:
Mac OS and Linux and immune from exploits and the like though, but are simply less targetted due to Windows being the 'norm'.

That's one reason. They're also much more secure - look at the fact that you don't use root all the time, the lack of IE, etc.

class 313 said:
[sarcastic]OH NO! The shock horror! thats a big enough reason to go to apple/[sarcastic]

It doesnt take long to download it.

Have you not noticed the different in performance between a normal app and a Java applet under Windoze?

class 313

Established Member
Tom B said:
Do you knwo anything about computers?

That's one reason. They're also much more secure - look at the fact that you don't use root all the time, the lack of IE, etc.

Have you not noticed the different in performance between a normal app and a Java applet under Windoze?

Yes i do know stuff about computers. I dont use IE though, i use Firefox wich is really good. But java in firefox is fast

H

HR2

All I originally asked was for advice on a good basic multimedia system. This seems to have sunken into a 'do this, so that' fight between 3 members here.

For the record I have had bad experiences with both AMD and Firefox. Firefox is absolute pants with all it's hidden stuff reporting back to whoever. Maybe not so vulnerable as IE but just as rubbishy.

class 313

Established Member
HR2 said:
All I originally asked was for advice on a good basic multimedia system. This seems to have sunken into a 'do this, so that' fight between 3 members here.

For the record I have had bad experiences with both AMD and Firefox. Firefox is absolute pants with all it's hidden stuff reporting back to whoever. Maybe not so vulnerable as IE but just as rubbishy.

Firefox doesnt have hidden stuff, FF is great, pop upblocker is great and its safer than IE.

I say Fire fox is better than Internet explorer by far

devon_metro

Established Member
Tabbed browsing is so easy. I know IE7 has it but it killed my computer-so i am therefore against it ;)

H

HR2

class 313 said:
Firefox doesnt have hidden stuff, FF is great, pop upblocker is great and its safer than IE.

I say Fire fox is better than Internet explorer by far

I don't use IE or Firefox. IE is wide open and FF is something I do not trust. I don't like tabbed browsing either.

Tom B

Established Member
Whether you use IE as a browser or not, it's still a major part of Windows. As I pointed out, even if someone did write a Linux virus it would be rather pointless - since most things can only be changed when logged on as root.

Tom B

Established Member
class 313 said:
That is very true, and HR2 all you gotta do is press CTRL + T

However, people do get stuck into ruts a lot of the time. I still do things the "old way" sometimes even if there's a newer alternative, simply because it's natural.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Double click in the grey border and the top menu will re-appear

T

Tom

Bob, FireFox is one of the best browsers around - but if you don't like it there are other (and some better) alternatives.

They include Opera which is a very good browser and generally loads pages quicker than other browsers.

H

HR2

Tom said:
Bob, FireFox is one of the best browsers around - but if you don't like it there are other (and some better) alternatives.

They include Opera which is a very good browser and generally loads pages quicker than other browsers.

Oh yes I have used Opera and quite liked that. At the mo I am using AOL's effort. More for convenience than anything else. However I hope to be moving house soon into an area where I can get cable. Then I am signing up for blueyonder. Dunno what I shall use then but it won't be FF or IE.

Nick W

Established Member
Lewisham2221 said:
Mac OS and Linux aren't immune from exploits and the like though, but are simply less targetted due to Windows being the 'norm'.

Tom B said:

Very correct, in decent operating systems you will log in as a "limited user" (maybe not even let you log on as root/administrator) and if you try to change settings or install something it will prompt you for an admin password.

In windows, if you create a "limited user" and try to install it won't ask you for a password, it will just give you an error. You have to find the exe, right click and use run as. How convenient is this? Oh you can forget loading control pannel as an administrator.

Another reason is that in better operating systems, servers tend to be turned off by default.

Notice below, once entering a password no virus will no, I can turn on the services I want.
servicesgg8.png

This intergrates nicely with the firewall which automaticatically opens and closes the ports and gives you options for other services which are not part of the operating system itself, as well as letting you add a custom one in.
firewallhh3.png

In windows things are turned on by default, requiring a firewall. SP2 is quite a bit better, but still leaves remote control on so that admins can maintain (and hackers can wreck) computers.

At the mo I am using AOL's effort.
I belive this is IE technology run under the AOL interface. It might have changed since versions 7 and under though.

Status
Not open for further replies.