• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus: How scared should we be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had a look at their Facebook profile this morning, and one post was about the R rate in London "..shooting up". If you look a bit deeper it has gone up from 0.7 - 0.9 last week to 0.8 - 1.1 this week, so hardly a big increase.
Very similar thing I saw. Someone on a local Facebook page was very critical of people’s behaviour; the regulars were all talking about how a local lockdown was on the way, and then someone posted a link to a news story about how a neighbouring borough had one of the biggest increases in confirmed cases in the region. Last week there were two cases, this week there were three... a 50% increase!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have a friend who's coming to stay with me later for an undetermined period of time. He lives with his parents, and since March has been furloughed. That ends tomorrow and he's got to go back to work. His parents are absolutely paranoid about him bringing the virus home from work, and have told him to resign from his job rather than take the risk.

I have known this guy for a long time and always thought his parents were sensible, rationale people. I worry about what has happened to them. Their relationship with their son is likely all but over now.

The good news for me is that said friend is returning to work because his is a barber. I have told him a haircut is worth at least three weeks board to me!

Meanwhile, yesterday I was out and about driving and had to take evasive action twice when people stepped in front of my car without looking in order to avoid passing other pedestrians on the pavement. I do wonder if there are statistics showing an increase in minor traffic accidents due to this nonsense?

I do have some sympathy for all parties in this instance. His parents might be in the older, higher risk category, whilst his work inevitably means contact with lots of people. It would be a lot easier for both parties to manage their risk appropriately if they lived in separate homes. Another unfortunate consequence of our basket-case housing economy it seems.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, I've been out and about in Yorkshire and Lancashire (in accordance with the guidance) and I've not seen any silliness. Most people wear masks on the trains, a few do in the outdoors but they don't try and brow beat those of us not wearing them outdoors.

Only place I heard of that happening was in the US cities where some people seem to have got a bee in their bonnet about runners and cyclists due to an article which was later widely discredited.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Very similar thing I saw. Someone on a local Facebook page was very critical of people’s behaviour; the regulars were all talking about how a local lockdown was on the way, and then someone posted a link to a news story about how a neighbouring borough had one of the biggest increases in confirmed cases in the region. Last week there were two cases, this week there were three... a 50% increase!
These people are not helping.

Such behaviour is understandably making people angry, including myself. Also understandably people have come up with names for such people, including "locktivists" although I tend to refer to them as "lockdown enthusiasts" (which is a term a fellow forum member mentioned to me over the phone a few weeks ago) as some people get upset with the use of the term "locktivist".
One person I know was literally posting up 40-50 memes a day in an attempt to shame anyone they thought was not complying with their "rules" (which were way beyond anything mandated by the government). Eventually I just lost patience and went right to the un-friend button, as did quite a few others from what I understand. And apparently this didn't go unnoticed, with those of us with twitchy delete fingers now being described as inhuman monsters. Oh well, monster it is....
Yes this is another thing that annoys me, and is a particular problem with platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.

I've also seen some pathetic rail 'enthusiasts' who have been taunting/bullying/shaming other rail enthusiasts for making journeys, and going on about how they think rail travel is "unsafe". Again, that makes me feel angry.

Let there be no doubt that if any attempts to "shame" anyone was to occur on this forum, the report button should be used as there is no way we would tolerate that here.
Only place I heard of that happening was in the US cities where some people seem to have got a bee in their bonnet about runners and cyclists due to an article which was later widely discredited.
I remember that; we had a thread on it here. It annoys me that people go round spreading such misinformation.

bramling

Veteran Member

My local Facebook borders on hysterical.

Anyone not wearing a mask once they leave their front door is nothing short of the devil, with anyone who has the tenacity to breathe being at high risk of “spreading the virus”. Heaven help if you come within not just two metres of anyone, but that this should be the minimum and we should be “aiming for much more to keep safe”.

And of course because of all these “idiots”, an increase in cases is “happening”, and we will soon be “straight back to full lockdown”.

I just despair with stuff like this. There really is a danger that this neurosis is going to lead to things turning nasty. We already have quite an atmosphere developed at work, which seems to have started whence a couple of people have returned having been off since March (clearly they’re not high-risk individuals or they wouldn’t be back yet) and seem to expect masks to be worn *everywhere*.

Personally I’m finding all this far more draining than the virus itself. I hope it’s just a phase like the toilet rolls, but I have a nasty feeling this neurosis is here for a bit longer.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Proportionally, not many people think like that, but they are extremely vocal, thus giving the impression that they are greater in number than they actually are. The more they rabble on, the more it makes me determined not to listen to them; their scaremongering makes me want to go out even more, so it's not having the desired effect on me.

I just despair with stuff like this. There really is a danger that this neurosis is going to lead to things turning nasty. We already have quite an atmosphere developed at work, which seems to have started whence a couple of people have returned having been off since March (clearly they’re not high-risk individuals or they wouldn’t be back yet) and seem to expect masks to be worn *everywhere*.
Thankfully there is no-one like that, as far as I am aware, at my workplace. Or if there is, they've not returned to work yet!

bramling

Veteran Member
Proportionally, not many people think like that, but they are extremely vocal, thus giving the impression that they are greater in number than they actually are. The more they rabble on, the more it makes me determined not to listen to them; their scaremongering makes me want to go out even more, so it's not having the desired effect on me.

Thankfully there is no-one like that, as far as I am aware, at my workplace. Or if there is, they've not returned to work yet!

Yes you’re absolutely right that it’s only a small proportion, and that they’re disproportionately conspicuous because they are so vocal.

At my place it seems to be people who have just returned. There’s some particularly nasty stuff on social media directed at the BTP, which seems to be anger that they’re exempt from mask wearing, and that they should be “doing more to enforce social distancing”, whatever that means.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is nothing to "enforce" regarding social distancing because it's not the law.

Bantamzen

Established Member
My local Facebook borders on hysterical.

Anyone not wearing a mask once they leave their front door is nothing short of the devil, with anyone who has the tenacity to breathe being at high risk of “spreading the virus”. Heaven help if you come within not just two metres of anyone, but that this should be the minimum and we should be “aiming for much more to keep safe”.

And of course because of all these “idiots”, an increase in cases is “happening”, and we will soon be “straight back to full lockdown”.

Personally I’m finding all this far more draining than the virus itself. I hope it’s just a phase like the toilet rolls, but I have a nasty feeling this neurosis is here for a bit longer.

You should have seen mine shortly after the news started reporting that Bradford might be next to have a Leicester lock-down. Straight away the fanatics were at it blaming all and sundry, including rather strangely people who had been to Bournemouth beaches, even though its a fair old trek from Bradford to Dorset! Imagine the disappointment when the Yorkshire & Humber section of Public Health England tweeted that Bradford was not on the verge of a lockdown, and although figures per 100,000 were high they were also dropping quite quickly and that we Bradfordians should just take a little extra care to help keep those numbers in decline.

As for social distancing "enforcement", a little memory from many years ago came to mind. I lived in the fine city of Wakefield for a little over a year and half, and used to often order pizza from a little take out not far from where I lived. The pizzas where fantastic, but the show stopper were their garlic mushrooms. Nothing fancy, just about 40 button mushrooms swimming in a sea of garlic butter. Bliss! (As you might guess I am a bit fond of garlic!). Anyway on my commute to Bradford after a particularly strong batch of them the night before, I became aware that sitting on the class 308 (I think) out of Westgate I was being given quite a bit of space. Then it occurred to me, garlic. I wonder if that place is still going? It was called Pizza Pasta Vino (original I know). Could be useful in the coming months.... :D

yorksrob

Veteran Member
You should have seen mine shortly after the news started reporting that Bradford might be next to have a Leicester lock-down. Straight away the fanatics were at it blaming all and sundry, including rather strangely people who had been to Bournemouth beaches, even though its a fair old trek from Bradford to Dorset! Imagine the disappointment when the Yorkshire & Humber section of Public Health England tweeted that Bradford was not on the verge of a lockdown, and although figures per 100,000 were high they were also dropping quite quickly and that we Bradfordians should just take a little extra care to help keep those numbers in decline.

As for social distancing "enforcement", a little memory from many years ago came to mind. I lived in the fine city of Wakefield for a little over a year and half, and used to often order pizza from a little take out not far from where I lived. The pizzas where fantastic, but the show stopper were their garlic mushrooms. Nothing fancy, just about 40 button mushrooms swimming in a sea of garlic butter. Bliss! (As you might guess I am a bit fond of garlic!). Anyway on my commute to Bradford after a particularly strong batch of them the night before, I became aware that sitting on the class 308 (I think) out of Westgate I was being given quite a bit of space. Then it occurred to me, garlic. I wonder if that place is still going? It was called Pizza Pasta Vino (original I know). Could be useful in the coming months.... :D

At least you could open all the droplights on a 307/308 !

adc82140

Established Member
My employer has started making noises about getting shielded people back to work. The people concerned are kicking up a fuss about it, how they are being put in danger etc etc. They are not bad people, and they are far from stupid. However having been stuck at home since March, they have developed this paranoia and agrophobia. This is a big mental health problem that has been created

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
My employer has started making noises about getting shielded people back to work. The people concerned are kicking up a fuss about it, how they are being put in danger etc etc. They are not bad people, and they are far from stupid. However having been stuck at home since March, they have developed this paranoia and agrophobia. This is a big mental health problem that has been created
It's not just those 'shielding' who are having mental health problems caused by this. Myself and many others I know (who are in the least 'at risk' category) are struggling with the length of these restrictions and the fact that they seem to be continuing for many months if not years into the future.

The government should have used a rational approach rather than using fear to control the population, which is always going to have many long term consequences

bramling

Veteran Member
There is nothing to "enforce" regarding social distancing because it's not the law.

What I thought was rather selfish is the idea that the individual concerned claims to be terrified witless (though it’s notable he’s not taken up the option of a surgical-grade mask not a visor), but expects others to be mingling with people and potentially putting themselves in a conflict situation. It’s all rather irrational.

Scrotnig

It's not just those 'shielding' who are having mental health problems caused by this. Myself and many others I know (who are in the least 'at risk' category) are struggling with the length of these restrictions and the fact that they seem to be continuing for many months if not years into the future.
I’m the same, but I live alone in Leicester which is now in indefinite lockdown again. The strain on my mental health is horrific and is beginning to manifest as physical symptoms.

DB

The government should have used a rational approach rather than using fear to control the population, which is always going to have many long term consequences

Masks on trains being a case in point - they didn't mandate them when the situation was at its height as they conceded that the evidence for any benefit was weak. The evidence hasn't changed, but now they are insisting on it so that they can be seen to be doing something - and it merely serves to reinforce the 'it's not safe' view which some people have about everything outside of their front door.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’m the same, but I live alone in Leicester which is now in indefinite lockdown again. The strain on my mental health is horrific and is beginning to manifest as physical symptoms.
I’m in a similar position but in Dumfries (which is now in a smaller “lockdown” due to a small cluster of cases near the border).

The government have a lot to answer for when it comes to their scare tactics, and the fact that they still won’t drop them (Whitty on Friday was still very doom laden) is going to make full economic recovery nigh on impossible.

LAX54

Established Member
I’m in a similar position but in Dumfries (which is now in a smaller “lockdown” due to a small cluster of cases near the border).

The government have a lot to answer for when it comes to their scare tactics, and the fact that they still won’t drop them (Whitty on Friday was still very doom laden) is going to make full economic recovery nigh on impossible.
The public have been whipped up into a frenzy, by the Government (all of them) Facebook, 24 hr news, and themselves, it is so ingrained on the population, that everyone is niow scared to say 'Boo' ! and scared of their own shadow

Jayden99

I think of anyone, shielders do actually have justification for feeling slightly on edge. Unlike people in my age group who seem to be more concerned about passing it on to other relatives more than anything else, those on the shielding list are actually at serious personal risk.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I do have some sympathy for all parties in this instance. His parents might be in the older, higher risk category, whilst his work inevitably means contact with lots of people. It would be a lot easier for both parties to manage their risk appropriately if they lived in separate homes. Another unfortunate consequence of our basket-case housing economy it seems.

His parents are mid 60s. Both recently retired. No medical conditions that would make them any more vulnerable than anyone else their age that I know of.

It would be easier if they lived in separate houses. In this case, it's not really down to the housing economy, it's down to a messy relationship break up and the fact my friend hadn't sorted alternative arrangements out when the lockdown was introduced. Then obviously it became more difficult, not least because of his reduced income (80% pay and no tips). I did wonder if this was a way of his parents saying it was really now time for him to move on - but their suggestion was to resign from his job, not to look for a rental property. They think I am being very irresponsible by letting him stay here. It is probably best that they don't know we're going out for Sunday Lunch and a pint later...

Enthusiast

I had a look at their Facebook profile this morning, and one post was about the R rate in London "..shooting up". If you look a bit deeper it has gone up from 0.7 - 0.9 last week to 0.8 - 1.1 this week, so hardly a big increase.
Ah the magical "R" number. Average number of people to whom each virus carrier passes on the infection, as I recall. Often quoted to two decimal points of accuracy. Last week they knocked 30,000 (about 10%) off the number of confirmed cases.

Freightmaster

Established Member
These people are not helping.

Such behaviour is understandably making people angry, including myself. Also understandably people have come up with names for such people, including "locktivists" although I tend to refer to them as "lockdown enthusiasts" (which is a term a fellow forum member mentioned to me over the phone a few weeks ago) as some people get upset with the use of the term "locktivist".
I prefer "Corona Moaner" - sums them up nicely!

MARK

sheff1

Established Member
I have never been on Facebook and judging by the recent posts that seems to be a good decision. :D

Back on 25 May I posted on this thread that I did not feel I needed to be scared at all. I have been out and about every single day since then and, without wishing to tempt fate, I still here to tell the tale ......

Jamiescott1

Someone I line manage was due back to work about 5 weeks ago (after being on full pay for 3 months for not coming to work) she refused so we went down the hr route. She went to her gp and got signed off as unfit for work

Richard Scott

Established Member
Someone I line manage was due back to work about 5 weeks ago (after being on full pay for 3 months for not coming to work) she refused so we went down the hr route. She went to her gp and got signed off as unfit for work
So when does she think she'll be fit for work, 2050? Ridiculous GPs signing people off if just because they're using the virus as an excuse. I assume she never leaves her house for any reason? If get lots of this economy is going to be even more messed up if companies have to pay people on the sick because they claim they're too frightened. Losing patience with all of this.

bramling

Veteran Member

A relative of mine works in a GP surgery, and she tells me they’ve had a constant stream of people turning up attempting to get med certs for anything possible, not least stress / depression. Likewise someone I know having been called back to work this weekend coincident with his pub re-opening promptly declared childcare issues for the whole of the next week, which I know for a fact is a fabrication.

How much of this is scared and how much is can’t be bothered is of course a matter for debate.

A very dicey strategy I’d say, as apart from the impact such absence will have on businesses, there will suddenly be quite a lot of competition for jobs, especially unskilled ones.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The answer here is clearly "you can stay off work if you wish, but to do so you must either use annual leave or take the time as an unpaid sabbatical". I'm sure there are jobless people who would take a temporary role to fill the gap.

bramling

Veteran Member
The answer here is clearly "you can stay off work if you wish, but to do so you must either use annual leave or take the time as an unpaid sabbatical". I'm sure there are jobless people who would take a temporary role to fill the gap.

I have to say I’m so fed up with elements of this that I would happily take the rest of the year off as unpaid leave. I’m literally at the point that if anyone makes even so much as a comment about lack of mask then I’m out the door on the spot, job stopped in the process.

That’s not a case of being scared, just a case of thoroughly fed up with the atmosphere at the moment!

Jonny

Established Member
I have to say I’m so fed up with elements of this that I would happily take the rest of the year off as unpaid leave. I’m literally at the point that if anyone makes even so much as a comment about lack of mask then I’m out the door on the spot, job stopped in the process.

That’s not a case of being scared, just a case of thoroughly fed up with the atmosphere at the moment!

That's how I'm feeling, I'm keeping away from shops etc. for the time being. In fact, I feel that there is nowhere worth travelling to right now.

Bantamzen

Established Member

I'd be more inclined to give people the option to resign and hire new people permanently.

DB

I'd be more inclined to give people the option to resign and hire new people permanently.

Trouble is, HR departments are already over-stretched at the moment having to deal with all the issues around furloughing, so probably really want to avoid this hassle (with its likelihood of industrial tribunals).

This approach won't continue indefinitely, of course, but while the government advice remains to work at home if you can then it's a tricky one. As soon as that advice is removed, and most people who are willing to come back into the offices have done so, I suspect many companies will be taking a harder line on those who refuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.