• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
So you're basically saying if you don't have a car (can't afford one, or can't drive by choice/unable to drive) you're restricted to your local area. Have you visited some areas - they make Baghdad look like Blackpool pleasure beach!

Yes! You shouldn't be making any unnessacary journeys anyway

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Get over yourself - you are putting lives at risk by thinking the rules dont apply to you. You are going to cause others to die. I hope you realise that.

Yes! You shouldn't be making any unnessacary journeys

For some, the ability to get out is good for their mental health.

As someone who has spent the last 3 months cooped up at home, and with this virus meaning that I should reduce social contact being diabetic, I fear for myself in that I'll get even worse mentally and will get depression.

cactustwirly

Established Member
For some, the ability to get out is good for their mental health.

As someone who has spent the last 3 months cooped up at home, and with this virus meaning that I should reduce social contact being diabetic, I fear for myself in that I'll get even worse mentally and will get depression.

But by going out you are putting other people's lives at risk.
Obviously you can still go out for walks etc, just try to be 2M away from other people.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But by going out you are putting other people's lives at risk.
Obviously you can still go out for walks etc, just try to be 2M away from other people.

Or consider running. You might not be a runner, but the NHS Couch to 5K app would be a good start, and you do get an endorphin kick from running which makes you feel better.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Oh dear goodness, who the heck am I going to infect walking along the Aire, or dare I say it going to the shop to buy stuff to eat? I'm sorry to say this because I actually do respect you, but right now you are being a little bit hysterical. For your information I am working from home, I am choosing to go to the local Co-op rather than large supermarkets, and even though neither my wife or I drive we are restricting our use of public transport, which by the way is not easy when you live in a hilly area such as this.

But I will not sit in the house for an indefinite period, I will go out for walks in the quiet areas around me, and if you don't like it I'm sorry. Me staying inside will only result in civil unrest... ;)

I am perfectly calm. I know I am taking this more seriously than some but I think with good reason based on professional and personal information, especially what my friend in the NHS ( ex forces, seen some tough sh*t and not likely to be wobbly) has said and what I have been doing at work. It is VERY worrying and I don't think everyone is taking this seriously.

The truth is, however hard it might be and however much we might not like liberty and freedoms curtailed, we are all going to have to sit in the house for an indefinite period. I am OK with that. I live alone ( although my GF is near you so don't give her the lurgy on your walk ;) ) I am quite stubborn, focussed, strong minded and happy with my own company. Being stuck in wont bother me. I get some will find that really hard but if that is you should prepare a plan now.

Going out for exercise is fine but we all have to be mindful of our responsibility to other people and be conscious of that in our decision making. We also need to acknowledge that, even with exercise, we are going to spend most of our day staying at home. We will get through this but it will be easier if we all act sensibly and maturely.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Having been away from this thread for a few hours I’ve noticed that it got a little heated this afternoon.
Can I remind everyone to treat each other with respect, stick to the facts, and think before bashing out replies to each other...
It’s an extremely emotive subject and we need to keep things calm on here.
Thanks all.

hooverboy

On Moderation
We don’t know yet, the immune system reacts differently to different viruses.

Sometimes we produce a long lasting what’s known as “neutralising” antibody, that prevents the virus doing what it needs to do. Hepatitis B is a good example of this, we recover from the illness by producing long lasting antibody, we can vaccinate those at risk like healthcare workers and you can even donate blood after recovery.

In response to some other viruses the immunity declines quickly or our immune system develops ineffective antibodies, we don’t really understand why. Unfortunately coronavirus and rhinovirus that routinely cause common cold type symptoms seem to fall into this category.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00798-8
if CoVid follow the same pattern as SARS and it's other corona-type nasties, then there is reason for optimism that it will fizzle out over the summer, but the government aren't taking chances at this stage.That's the scenario that everyone is hoping and praying for

it is a particularly virulent strain,and there is a risk that the mutution expected will not be so benevolent, hence bojo hedging his bets a bit and for all intents and purposes telling people to furlough for a month unless absolutely critical.
Sunak has played a blinder so far.It's going to cost a fortune but he has offered support to people and companies who through no fault of their own have to down tools for a while.

as for food supply to "critical services", surely it is not beyond the bounds of possibility to have tesco delivery vans driving direct to schools/hospitals etc with the orders that these staff have submitted,and then parcel it out on receipt.
it would seem a far more sensible option than leaving such people to endure the ravages of the mainstream food shop for joe public.

if they are on the front line they need to be kept healthy.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It was thought provoking shuffling down the street where I live, my dog taking me out for a walk, just now. A short, historic street in the centre of a Cornish coastal town, late March on a Saturday evening, and I can honestly say it reminded me of being out on Christmas Day evening. Two pubs, one hotel/pub in darkness, one restaurant still with its lights on and the workaholic owner sitting at a table bashing out an email or somesuch, maybe apologising to the people who'd booked for Mother's Day but were now going to be disappointed. Pedestrians and cars were virtually non-existent, even only one other dog owner. The only difference from Christmas Day was the biting wind, almost a metaphor I felt. I used to so look forward to my Christmas evening short jaunts, as they couldn't be replicated any other time. Goes to show, be careful what you wish for!

Peter Kelford

Everyone has the right to responsibly behave and take some exercise where appropriate, but must try to stay 1 or 2 metres away from others where possible and not frequent busy places.

UP13

The more people go out when they don't need to, the longer this will continue for and the more lives will be at risk.

I really hope nobody loses a loved one because somebody had to have a last pint or whatever.

Lots of people are justifying their non-essential ventures out of the home but they must stop to think whether it is worth other people dying (not an exaggeration - that's the reality of the situation).

SHD

A factoid from France which shows how the conditions caused by this virus put extreme pressure on intensive care units: as of today, the median age of COVID patients in Parisian ICUs is 60.
And we are still one week away from the apex.

Incidentally, now is a very bad time to be the victim of a stroke or get seriously hurt in a car accident. This shows how COVID may generate MAJOR losses of opportunities for countless other patients.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Lots of people are justifying their non-essential ventures out of the home ...
It's not a bad thing to go out for a walk if you stick within the guidelines; indeed if people don't do this and just stay at home I think there will be other health problems.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's not a bad thing to go out for a walk if you stick within the guidelines; indeed if people don't do this and just stay at home I think there will be other health problems.

Yes, I'd have a lot of concerns about an obesity crisis if people just sit around eating cake and chips for what may be a few months.

Established Member

Completely agree. I've been self-isolating since Tuesday and I'm struggling with my mental health already.

Only another 10 days to go!

trainophile

Established Member
Yes, I'd have a lot of concerns about an obesity crisis if people just sit around eating cake and chips for what may be a few months.

I've been staying in, but find I'm eating much less. Just one main meal a day really, with maybe a sandwich for lunch and a piece of toast for breakfast. Finding my appetite isn't the same because I'm not burning any calories.

83A

There are some interesting points here but I think as always it requires common sense. Stay at home when you can but if you do go out try to avoid people.

I do however think people should go out and get some fresh air and exercise as long as they distance themselves. It’s physically and mentally a good thing to do.

I have been working at home now for 3 weeks. My daughter is with her mum and my partner is at her place with her children.

I’m ok with being solo but I do need to get outside. Every morning I go for a run and when I’ve finished my work in the afternoon I take my mountain bike out. That said I’m lucky to live in a village so I rarely see anyone but the odd dog walker.

The exercise keeps me focussed and keeps my mood up.

Finally try to be nice to each other on forums. Arguing is not good for your health either.

Take care all

MDB1images

Train to the Lakes when it gets nice - or the Forest of Bowland. Grab some tins for the return trip. Stations like Windermere could well be overflowing, especially those waiting for a train to return, which is the fly in the ointment. Queue outside at distance??

People did similar in Italy, it's now a country that can't bury it's dead and will be in recession for years precisely because people did similar to what you mention.

Please listen to the Doctors and Nurses who are trying to save lives in the UK, this is serious and is a matter of life and death.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am now relaxing a bit in the hope the virus is at its peak and will hopefully start to fade, as in china.
It's unlikely to be at its peak here right now; your comparison with China is difficult to understand

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's unlikely to be at its peak here right now; your comparison with China is difficult to understand

Quite, it'll be around ten days before we see the impact of closing the schools and forcing social venues to shut. And considering the flaming idiots that flocked to the beaches today I'm not hopefully we'll see an immediate drop off when we get ten days down the line...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Quite, it'll be around ten days before we see the impact of closing the schools and forcing social venues to shut. And considering the flaming idiots that flocked to the beaches today I'm not hopefully we'll see an immediate drop off when we get ten days down the line...

Yes, very worrying scenes.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Once the Government gets the powers on Monday, I think we'll go more like Italy. People are royally taking the mick today, and they have brought that on all of us :(

thejuggler

Lots of Darwinism in action today.

People are avoiding city centres and instead taking advantage of the sun, jumping in cars and having a day at the seaside along with thousands of other people. Cafes, arcades, funfairs, beaches etc packed.

Malham in the Dales has been rammed, the trails are now closed and residents are pleading with people not to visit. National Trust have closed all their parks and gardens sites.

I can only conclude many people in this Country really are stupid. If the stupidity continues next week we will be heading into a full on lockdown situation.

tsr

Established Member
This is false. "The trails" are public rights of way and primary legislation is required to close them.

However, the rest of your post is correct and people really do need to pack it in.

People may find that closing footpaths and bridleways in overcrowded areas is suddenly justified on urgent safety grounds, just like it is for coastal paths during a rock fall.

Don’t forget that foot and mouth put huge restrictions on areas of farmland which would otherwise be accessible, including stuff with bridleways and so on.

I can think of many parts of my local area where certain paths are very crowded at a hint of weekend sunshine, but equally, there are places where people will actively need to go looking for a footpath, and they’re always quiet.

Folks need to be told on no uncertain terms that they must spread out a bit.

Darandio

Established Member
I can only conclude many people in this Country really are stupid. If the stupidity continues next week we will be heading into a full on lockdown situation.

I'm becoming increasingly fine with that outcome if that is what it takes to rein in these imbeciles.

Status
Not open for further replies.