• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans

Yet plenty of people, including some on here, advocate a compulsory digital ID in the UK. A favourite line is "if youv'e nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about".

If China is mentioned such people wouild probably say "it couldn't happen here", but of course back in early 2020 when China introduced covid lockdowns the intial line was "lockdowns could never happen in a Western democracy".
There are also many who stated we would not have a complusory digital ID in the UK but were vociferous in their call for mandatory vaccinations, without any sense of irony as to what they were demanding. Many who insisted those who were not jabbed should not be allowed out of their homes, or (still in force in some countries) are not allowed to enter or leave a country.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Razorblades

There are also many who states we would not have a complusory digital ID in the UK but were vociferous in their call for mandatory vaccinations, without any sense of irony as to what they were demanding. Many who insisted those who were not jabbed should not be allowed out of their homes, or (still in force in some countries) are not allowed to enter or leave a country.
These individuals are possessed of a deeply dangerous, and fundamentally flawed set of values. It's increasingly clear how the events that unfolded in Germany under Nazi rule during the thirties were enabled by latent tendencies in a large swathe of the population.

adc82140

Established Member
At the risk of drifting off topic, there is no need for mandatory ID in this country. Most people seem perfectly happy to share all their details for all and sundry on social media. They've done the government's job for them.

Razorblades

At the risk of drifting off topic, there is no need for mandatory ID in this country. Most people seem perfectly happy to share all their details for all and sundry on social media. They've done the government's job for them.

Nicely observed; consequently for the rest of us, the task of resistance is potentially made that much harder in the face of the acquiescent horde.

Eyersey468

Established Member
These individuals are possessed of a deeply dangerous, and fundamentally flawed set of values. It's increasingly clear how the events that unfolded in Germany under Nazi rule during the thirties were enabled by latent tendencies in a large swathe of the population.
I saw the parallels a long time ago but some can't or won't see it and shoot down anyone who mentions it

MikeWM

Established Member
Yet plenty of people, including some on here, advocate a compulsory digital ID in the UK. A favourite line is "if youv'e nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about".

If China is mentioned such people wouild probably say "it couldn't happen here", but of course back in early 2020 when China introduced covid lockdowns the intial line was "lockdowns could never happen in a Western democracy".

I admit I did rather hope that what is happening in China, combined with what happened to the truckers in Canada etc. would have alerted people to the great danger of a society where every action you take, every item you purchase, every place you want to go, requires *permission* from some central authority.

Because of course once that it is the case, the *permission* will become increasingly conditional on being a 'good' citizen, whatever they'll decide that means.

However, rather than see this ever-clearer agenda and try to prevent it, as a society we seem to be openly embracing the construction of the digital prison around ourselves, which is accelerating rapidly. Just look how keen the authorities are to eliminate cash, as one obvious example, which is enthusiastically followed by much of the population. (Or indeed 'anonymous' paper rail tickets, for a very relevant example to this forum).

I do fear that the 'great wake-up' about this will come too late, and one day very soon now we'll find our society has a lot more in common in China than it does with the country we remember from just a few years ago. And at that point there will be nothing that can be done about it, because if you protest or complain, your 'permissions' will be revoked at the touch of a bureaucrat's button.

Hans

It's very difficult to admit you've been hoodwinked, well nigh impossible to say 'you told me so' to people you once gleefully derided and gaslighted because you felt superior and had safety in numbers.
Yes instead of admitting they were hoodwinked, they take the view that others should make the same mistakes as they did in order to make them feel better.

The analogy of what happened in Nazi Germany, for many, is a very uncomfortable one and so they say it cannot possibly be the same. Nuremberg set in stone the right to bodily autonomy, yet they has and continues to be ignored for the vaccinations and testing.

The "climate agenda" may see a call for many similar restrictions - you cannot drive, travel on a train, put your heating on as you have used up your carbon allowance - how far fetched is this? About as far fetched as locking down healthy people imo.

nw1

Established Member
There are also many who stated we would not have a complusory digital ID in the UK but were vociferous in their call for mandatory vaccinations, without any sense of irony as to what they were demanding. Many who insisted those who were not jabbed should not be allowed out of their homes,
Not be allowed out of their homes? People in the UK suggesting this? Who were these people, the Xi Jinping Fan Club? Vaccination should be a personal choice and it's the state's role to recommend it, not mandate it.

I wonder whether the extreme measures of China's government are an effort to distract the people from their antics over Taiwan, incidentally? If they can play the "Uncle Xi is protecting you from Covid, a disease which you WILL get seriously ill from, no question" card then they can look good, and people will think that Xi is actually saving them from certain death, rather than acting as an aggressive imperialist tyrant and dragging their country's reputation through the mud internationally.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
One month from my trip to Ibiza, and my second booster is days before I leave, even if it were when I return it shouldn't be a problem, as Spain still accepts the first booster as "timeless". But in any case, relieved to have that second boost before I travel abroad - and it's nice to know that it should appear on my app before I leave.

kristiang85

Established Member
Not be allowed out of their homes? People in the UK suggesting this? Who were these people, the Xi Jinping Fan Club? Vaccination should be a personal choice and it's the state's role to recommend it, not mandate it.

Jeremy Hunt was an advocate of it.

In other news, in Canada, mad Trudeau is saying that 80-90% of people need to be boostered within the last 6 months this winter, otherwise there will likely be restrictions this winter.

Last edited:

Razorblades

In other news, in Canada, mad Trudeau is saying that 80-90% of people need to be boostered within the last 6 months this winter, otherwise there will likely be restrictions this winter.

That highly dubious lunatic is following no credible branch of science, and one could be forgiven for thinking he's dancing to another tune entirely.

Jonny

Established Member

That highly dubious lunatic is following no credible branch of science, and one could be forgiven for thinking he's dancing to another tune entirely.

The only branch of Science that they could possibly be following at this point is Political Science.

Enthusiast

Meanwhile, back in "Zero Covid Land " (aka China):

Outcry as Chinese lockdown traps residents during earthquake

Footage showing that some residents in the earthquake-hit Chinese city of Chengdu were stopped from fleeing their compounds due to a Covid lockdown has sparked anger and disbelief online.

Some in Chengdu say they were told to stay inside through a 6.6-magnitude earthquake on Monday that has killed at least 65 people.

In one, a man swears at security guard, rattling what appears to be his apartment gates and trying to open it, shouting: "Hurry up, open the door, it's an earthquake!" In response, the guards say: "It's over, the earthquake's already over."

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I missed this, but at the end of August even Singapore dropped masks, except in healthcare settings and on public transport. This does not include aviation, and Changi Airport and even Singapore Airlines no longer require masks (except where the destination or origin country requires it by law). Quite a positive moment really, because they had extremely high compliance and buy-in.

Freightmaster

Established Member
I missed this, but at the end of August even Singapore dropped masks, except in healthcare settings and on public transport. This does not include aviation, and Changi Airport and even Singapore Airlines no longer require masks (except where the destination or origin country requires it by law). Quite a positive moment really, because they had extremely high compliance and buy-in.
Great to see the dominoes starting to fall! :smile:

Other than China, I wonder how many countries will still maintain entry restrictions (testing and/or vaccine requirements) for tourists in 2024?

My guess is Canada will be the last 'western' country to have entry requirements as I reckon that the USA will remove theirs next Spring,
but in the meantime what about the EU outliers such as Spain, Italy and the Netherlands?

MARK

102 fan

During the enforced vaccination, I would read on FB people advocating that the unvaccinated shouldn't get medical treatment, employment, and in one case, housing (I kid you not). When I suggested they replace unvaccinated with Jewish, and read it back to hear how it sounds they got very defensive, told me I was disrespectful towards Judaism. I did try tell them that Nazi Germany didn't start with the camps, it started with one section of society being blamed for the problems of the Country.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Other than China, I wonder how many countries will still maintain entry restrictions (testing and/or vaccine requirements) for tourists in 2024?

My guess is Canada will be the last 'western' country to have entry requirements as I reckon that the USA will remove theirs next Spring,
but in the meantime what about the EU outliers such as Spain, Italy and the Netherlands?

MARK
Italy has scrapped its entry requirements - something which makes the abolition of the mask mandate on flights, and continued retention of the mandate on other public transport, even more ridiculous!

westv

Established Member
Italy has scrapped its entry requirements - something which makes the abolition of the mask mandate on flights, and continued retention of the mandate on other public transport, even more ridiculous!
Still waiting for Spain to drop entry requirements. I know it's just a printed off form but still, every thing less to do makes a better holiday.

Eyersey468

Established Member
During the enforced vaccination, I would read on FB people advocating that the unvaccinated shouldn't get medical treatment, employment, and in one case, housing (I kid you not). When I suggested they replace unvaccinated with Jewish, and read it back to hear how it sounds they got very defensive, told me I was disrespectful towards Judaism. I did try tell them that Nazi Germany didn't start with the camps, it started with one section of society being blamed for the problems of the Country.
Exactly, but some people couldn't or wouldn't see the parallel

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Still waiting for Spain to drop entry requirements. I know it's just a printed off form but still, every thing less to do makes a better holiday.
Ive been twice and haven't had to do any forms? Granted it has been by aeroplane with times. Just upload a pdf of the blessed Vax form

Snow1964

Established Member
Currently in SW Ireland and doesn’t appear to be any remaining restrictions, although some shops etc still have yellow signs (which are ignored), and occasional old person with a mask.

Some shops still have Perspex screens so seems to be a not got around to removing the covid stuff approach.

nw1

Established Member

Let's start with 2023! I hope the answer to that will be very few indeed, never mind 2024.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Let's start with 2023!
Whoops! I meant to say 2023 in my post, although Canada may well make it through to 2024
at the rate they are going... :rolleyes:

I didn't realise that Italy had already scrapped their entry requirements, so does that only
leave Spain and the Netherlands with vaccine/test mandates for arrivals in the entire EU?

MARK

kristiang85

Established Member
Ive been twice and haven't had to do any forms? Granted it has been by aeroplane with times. Just upload a pdf of the blessed Vax form

Last month both times I entered Spain it was just showing the NHS vaccination pass, nothing else. And no forms to fill in (unless you're not vaccinated, then you do need the damn health pass).

The astoundingly stupid thing is that if you were EU you could just go straight through; UK and non EU had to show the forms. All from the same plane, same origin. It's all political, nothing to do with disease control.

kingston_toon

MTA have removed the mask mandate on the New York Subway, buses, LIRR etc effective immediately! I have to admit I didn't see this coming although compliance has reportedly been dropping for a long time. Excellent news ahead of my trip to New York next month! The Twitter replies to MTA's tweet are also certainly worth a read.

kristiang85

Established Member
MTA have removed the mask mandate on the New York Subway, buses, LIRR etc effective immediately! I have to admit I didn't see this coming although compliance has reportedly been dropping for a long time. Excellent news ahead of my trip to New York next month! The Twitter replies to MTA's tweet are also certainly worth a read.

Ding hasn't taken it very well! https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1567732460229738496

Whoever designed your poster should be fired. It’s public endangerment and mask misinformation!!
@MTA
- do better. Apologize. ...

(re. the new mask optional poster)

Last edited:

bengley

Established Member
In a rather unexpected twist, New Zealand now fully open and doesn't require a COVID test or proof of vaccination.

zero

In a rather unexpected twist, New Zealand now fully open and doesn't require a COVID test or proof of vaccination.

I wouldn't say it was unexpected, it was on course to happen by the end of October, but they said that if "the data" allowed (whatever that really means) the dates could be moved forward.

What was a bit more unexpected was that Hong Kong reduced hotel quarantine from 7 to 3 nights, although there are some onerous requirements for the 7 days after release. Nonetheless that meets my annoyance-to-benefit ratio as I have some important business to conduct in person, so I will be going soon. Of course I would prefer 0 nights, which actually does not seem completely out of the question any more, especially after Pooh is confirmed as eternal dictator in late October/early November (although he did already say that HK can choose its own path now).

Status
Not open for further replies.