• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crash Survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

BestWestern

Established Member
Following on from the units out of use thread, something I find equally interesting are those odd vehicles left after serious collisions, often parts of units left sitting in various works or depots when the rest was written off. They often seem to take on an almost mythical value, never being seen but presumed still to exist! I'm also curious about surviving vehicles which have been returned to use; e.g. coaches from the various serious bumps on the Gt Western and East Coast routes.

I understand that the rear car of 165115, the unfortunate Ladbroke Grove Turbo, escaped largely undamaged and remains somewhere as a spare vehicle? Some of the Potters Bar vehicles were used as targets for the RAF, did they all go? The Grayrigg Pendo I believe still lingers somewhere? And some of the Watford 321 cars, is there a Driving Motor shell in Barbie colours used as a paint/livery tester, or was that a 'spare' production car?

There must be a good few more knocking about.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Two cars from 390033, which was involved in the Grayrigg derailment, are in the grounds of VTWC's Training Centre in Crewe. I think they are still used as a training setup for new staff.

jimm

Established Member
Following on from the units out of use thread, something I find equally interesting are those odd vehicles left after serious collisions, often parts of units left sitting in various works or depots when the rest was written off. They often seem to take on an almost mythical value, never being seen but presumed still to exist! I'm also curious about surviving vehicles which have been returned to use; e.g. coaches from the various serious bumps on the Gt Western and East Coast routes.

I understand that the rear car of 165115, the unfortunate Ladbroke Grove Turbo, escaped largely undamaged and remains somewhere as a spare vehicle? Some of the Potters Bar vehicles were used as targets for the RAF, did they all go? The Grayrigg Pendo I believe still lingers somewhere? And some of the Watford 321 cars, is there a Driving Motor shell in Barbie colours used as a paint/livery tester, or was that a 'spare' production car?

A couple of the Grayrigg Pendolino coaches are at the Fire Service College in Moreton-in-Marsh and used in training exercises for firefighters. Assorted trains have turned up at the college over the years, though don't know about other crash leftovers - 73126 was a long-time resident, along with various Mk3 sleepers and tank wagons.

http://bestieboy.smugmug.com/Trains...O MSO - Moreton in Marsh Rob Jefferys-M.jpg

TimboM

Established Member
Probably goes without saying, but there's 91023 which was involved in both Hatfield and Great Heck accidents c.4 months apart and was ultimately renumbered to 91132 to improve its fortunes.

Also don't know if this is wibble-myth, but I had heard the EMD engine from the GBRf 66 (66734) that went down the bank at Loch Treig and was cut up on site was recycled and is now in 66799 (or at least one of the newer 66s).

BestWestern

Established Member
That rings a bell. I wonder who now owns them, whether the ROSCO donated them or they just 'live' there (though I suppose the insurer would ultimately have assumed ownership) if it was written off.

BestWestern

Established Member
Probably goes without saying, but there's 91023 which was involved in both Hatfield and Great Heck c.4 months apart and was ultimately renumbered to 91132 to improve its fortunes.

Also don't know if this is wibble-myth, but I had heard the EMD engine from the GBRf 66 (66734) that went down the bank at Loch Treig and was cut up on site was recycled and now in 66799 (or at least one of the newer 66s).

Indeed, there was a loophole wasn't there - 66s were no longer emissions compliant, but they could build a new one as a shell and get away with putting an existing engine into it!

AM9

Veteran Member
Indeed, there was a loophole wasn't there - 66s were no longer emissions compliant, but they could build a new one as a shell and get away with putting an existing engine into it!

Still on topic, what happened to the class 70 that slipped whilst being craned off the ship during delivery, - the one with the trendy curve in the chassis. :)

Last edited:

BestWestern

Established Member
Still on topic, what happened to the class 66 that slipped whilst being lifted of the ship during delivery, - the one with the trendy curve in the chassis. :)

I think they built it a hamster wheel and hooked it up to the national grid :D

TimboM

Established Member
Still on topic, what happened to the class 66 that slipped whilst being craned off the ship during delivery, - the one with the trendy curve in the chassis. :)

Do you mean the Class 70 (70012)?

Went on Lowloader under cover of darkness to one of the docks on the Mersey to go back to the US (although plenty of footage on Flickr/YouTube - can't exactly hide a 129t green and yellow monster like that very easily).

Was an insurance write-off IIRC as frame bent. Got shipped back to GE who fixed it up sufficiently to use as a test bed for new major components.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member

An interesting topic.

I believe the rear car of 165115 was actually scrapped; although from the pictures it looked relatively undamaged compared to the rest of the train, I suspect it still suffered quite a bit of damage. I have seen a few rumours that it survived as a spare car, however I have also seen various listings that is was scrapped. There's no hard evidence at all that it survived - by now we'd have seen a photo of some sort if it had.

As regards 365526, two cars went to Spadeadam - it's not entirely clear if this was for shooting practice or destructive explosive testing, although presumably the result would be fairly similar. At least one of the two 8-car pre-series trains of Victoria Line 2009 stock also went to Spadeadam at the same time. The remaining two cars of 365526 I believe still survive - perhaps stored at Wolverton.

The 321 bodyshell I believe is an extra bodyshell which was built at the same time as the 321420 bodyshells to mitigate against any future losses.

Another two cars with a dubious history are 566 and 366 of Piccadilly Line 73 stock. These are the two surviving cars from the 7/7 unit. The motor car I believe was scrapped (on paper at least), but the two other cars survived and I believe still do. They were in plain view at Northfields Depot for many years, but I believe were moved when the new train crew depot were built. They may well still be there, as I've not seen anything pertaining to their disposal. LU thoughtlessly scrapped a complete unit of 73 stock in 2000 simply for having been robbed of parts, in hindsight this was a bad decision as the DM car at least could have replaced 166.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As regards 365526, two cars went to Spadeadam - it's not entirely clear if this was for shooting practice or destructive explosive testing, although presumably the result would be fairly similar.

Yes, Google finds a few discussions about this, and suggests it was more to do with testing effects of IEDs and so on, rather than actual air to ground targets...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
156476 was repaired after being damaged at Huddersfield in 1989. The unit it collided with (141104) never turned a wheel again in service.

There are the two orphaned 150/2 DMS vehicles currently with GWR and being used as centre cars. One from unit 212, not sure about the other. Both had their partners written off in accidents.

Then there's a 144 (again, not sure which) which was practically rebuilt after only a few years service, after it lost an argument with (IIRC) a heavyweight 37 near Skipton.

iantherev

The other one is from 150209.

156476 was repaired after being damaged at Huddersfield in 1989. The unit it collided with (141104) never turned a wheel again in service.

There are the two orphaned 150/2 DMS vehicles currently with GWR and being used as centre cars. One from unit 212, not sure about the other. Both had their partners written off in accidents.

Then there's a 144 (again, not sure which) which was practically rebuilt after only a few years service, after it lost an argument with (IIRC) a heavyweight 37 near Skipton.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

The other GWR car is from 209 (57 Cars) and which are formed in the middle 150925 and 926 thus their becoming 150925 and 926. The plan is to remove them before 925 and 926 go to Northern, fit PRM toilet and other mods (no toilet in either at present) and form into a new 150/2 but presumably retaining their 2+3 seating unfortunately

bramling

Veteran Member
And one in the fire training facility in Moreton in Marsh, I believe?

Another London Underground car which spring to mind:

Central Line 62 stock sandite car. Originally NDM 9501, this was involved in a collision at Marble Arch on 16/11/82. The car was subsequently repaired as the Central Line's sandite car, renumbered 9549. So the car wasn't used in service again, but still survives today unlike most of its brothers.

zn1

there were at least 2 spare body shells built, i recall they were a base shells for 317-321 & 455, cant be sure but they may have been kept at Eastleigh when York closed.

a few front ends were kept as spares also. im pretty sure a 319, 320/1/2 cab, a 143 also

i cannot tell you what happened to them, the BRB shopping controls at Derby & Croydon kept an eye on them just in case they needed them

as for crash survivors - several of the purley bank coaches were rebuilt, the stafford 310/1 DTSOL was extensively rebuilt at Derby, and was essentially a new vehicle, with a seperate design code just for that coach.

the Ladbroke grove HST coaches were renumbered,having survived southall if i recall and were then hidden at minehead for months until renumbered, presumably still in traffic

the 91 from hatfield she still rolls and mile munches daily up and down the LNER

dubscottie

The spare Barbie 321 car was built along with the Watford replacement cars which were produced at the same time as the class 325 shells.

I think if the 325's were not being built the remains of the two 321s would have been written off (or even spare 507/508 cars used! Stranger things have happened!)

Like the 310 that was repaired, there is a 158 car that has its own diagram number as well. IIRC it was because it did not get a full rewire during repairs so it is "non standard" because of all the joins between the old and new wiring.

Taking of 321s, what was the 321 that got gutted by fire and was slowly rebuilt in Colchester?

Last edited:

dubscottie

Yes, Google finds a few discussions about this, and suggests it was more to do with testing effects of IEDs and so on, rather than actual air to ground targets...

I think the couple of International coaches bought from Irish Rail that ended up at Spadeadam were what was used by Tornados and F-15 for target practice.

They were only there for weeks.

driver9000

Established Member
Are parts of 142059 still in the bowls of Manchester Victoria?

The cab front had been moved and was at Kilmarnock last I heard having been used as a mould to create a new nose for 142091 which ran into a landslide.

455driver

Veteran Member
the Ladbroke grove HST coaches were renumbered, having survived southall if i recall and were then hidden at minehead for months until renumbered, presumably still in traffic

Absolute rubbish, none of the coaches were renumbered and they were not 'hidden' at Minehead! :roll:

Established Member
I suppose this counts...

One of the driving cars of 507022 is now part of 507004, whilst the other surviving carriage from 507022 is now a part of 314203.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Are parts of 142059 still in the bowls of Manchester Victoria?

Last time I heard of it, the cab front was in storage somewhere on the Fylde Coast under the care of the (defunct?) Pacer Preservation Soceity.

There is a 158 car that has its own diagram number as well. IIRC it was because it did not get a full rewire during repairs so it is "non standard" because of all the joins between the old and new wiring.

I wonder what the unit number is? It would be interesting to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.