• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I've only just joined in this particular thread at this point, having noticed that there are over 200 pages devoted to this topic.

I was unaware of the power of the engines, but many thanks for clarifying that for me.

The Centre Car will be unpowered on the 3 Car version but given the short length and Aluminium body 800hp should be good enough.

The Anglia franchise is due to be announced soon, if they don't take any, and more specifically if they don't take any of the limited number of DMU's that will be available in the next few years, then I think that just about wraps it up as far as these trains are concerned.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Just a thought here regarding the power of the engines.

Are they sufficiently powered to tackle any tough gradients that may be encountered?

I've only just joined in this particular thread at this point, having noticed that there are over 200 pages devoted to this topic.

I was unaware of the power of the engines, but many thanks for clarifying that for me.
The Diesel engines will provide 750v power to the LU electric motors and top-up the batteries, which will provide power when the engines are not in use, i.e when in platforms etc.
Normally only one engine will be in use but in times of the greatest demand the second engine will cut-in and during the times of low demand the engines will actually stop.

Clip

Established Member
What will the maximum passenger loading be of the 3-car unit?

Paul, apologies as my posts are delivered later than I post them but if you go to the Vivarail website as I mentioned before then it gives you the answer about how they can be configured.

There's some nice graphics there too

12CSVT

Established Member
To save having to trawl through 200+ pages of this thread, is there a conversion list of which D stock coaches have become which class 230 coaches ?

Thanks in advance.

lincolnshire

Cheers...

I can't find an actual platform length for BAU, but a rough look and measure using google maps suggests its possible to get a 2 car unit in at least - if they get a little snug with the buffers, that is... Just doing it out of idle curiosity to see if one could work the Barton line to save a 153

Well a 2 coach DMU was the usual traction that worked on the Barton Branch in the past so the station and other stations on the route took them then and will now i would have thought. Can,t see them shortening the platforms to fit just one coach as what the train is usually these days.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Well a 2 coach DMU was the usual traction that worked on the Barton Branch in the past so the station and other stations on the route took them then and will now i would have thought. Can,t see them shortening the platforms to fit just one coach as what the train is usually these days.

Didn't a 185 or 170 regularly work the first service on the branch in the past? If I recall correctly it was some sort of arrangement between Northern and TPE, due to Northern not having a traincrew depot at Cleethorpes or Grimsby.

southern442

Established Member
Paul, apologies as my posts are delivered later than I post them but if you go to the Vivarail website as I mentioned before then it gives you the answer about how they can be configured.

There's some nice graphics there too

Nice graphics they may be, but excuse me while I sob violently over the use of Fanisa seating in the artist's impression.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Didn't a 185 or 170 regularly work the first service on the branch in the past? If I recall correctly it was some sort of arrangement between Northern and TPE, due to Northern not having a traincrew depot at Cleethorpes or Grimsby.

Yes I believe that TPE worked the first service of the day I think, with a 185 however at most of the stations, the train was too long for the platform which caused a bit of a issue. This working stopped however a couple of years ago.
Sam

Skutter

Nice graphics they may be, but excuse me while I sob violently over the use of Fanisa seating in the artist's impression.

Perhaps they happened to have those seats already available for their graphics software.
Or, one of the selling points of the Vivarail conversion was the quick entry into service by using existing approved parts. That's how they could get certification by Sept 2015 ... err ...

Have they missed their window of opportunity?

Clip

Established Member
Perhaps they happened to have those seats already available for their graphics software.
Or, one of the selling points of the Vivarail conversion was the quick entry into service by using existing approved parts. That's how they could get certification by Sept 2015 ... err ...

Have they missed their window of opportunity?

Who knows. They're still ploughing ahead with the demonstrator so they must think they can still make it work and sell the lot of them

asylumxl

Established Member
Who knows. They're still ploughing ahead with the demonstrator so they must think they can still make it work and sell the lot of them
I think that Vivarail knows they can. Let's face it, it's not been set up by some anoraks who hatched the plan around a pub table.

Even if the units are a compromise due to their limited top speed, there's various places that are in need of extra capacity or spare units.

While some say the leasing costs aren't particularly cheap compared to new builds, this will have been inflated and I'm sure it will be negotiated down to a more reasonable price (the original price they wanted).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
While some say the leasing costs aren't particularly cheap compared to new builds, this will have been inflated and I'm sure it will be negotiated down to a more reasonable price (the original price they wanted).

Are you in a position on the project that gives you any authority to speak on matters of artificially-inflated prices and of any subsequent price negotiation, as you have done above?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Are you in a position on the project that gives you any authority to speak on matters of artificially-inflated prices and of any subsequent price negotiation, as you have done above?

Probably not, but it is such a normal business tactic that I suspect it is a given in any business setting that the advertised price will be higher than that paid in most cases.

Clip

Established Member

I doubt they are but I would bet that they are correct about negotiating it down to make sure they can sell thm and finish the project.

Though im not sure where people got the idea it was £3million a train from either but you didnt ask them the same question from memory on this long thread ;)

asylumxl

Established Member
No, but one would assume Vivarail would make use of a basic business tactic.

Unfortunately, not everyone has financial interests in ROSCOs I'm afraid ;).

Established Member
I think that Vivarail knows they can. Let's face it, it's not been set up by some anoraks who hatched the plan around a pub table.

Even if the units are a compromise due to their limited top speed, there's various places that are in need of extra capacity or spare units.

No but a few things have happened since these trains were envisaged to somewhat rain on their parade, namely the extent of electrification delays meaning any new DMU is likely to have a long term requirement rather than a stopgap, being ruled out for Northern, and a new regional DMU from CAF.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Latest version of the 'D train' disinformation project here, as seen in District Dave's forum:

Discarded trains from the London Underground could soon be dumped on tracks in the region, prompting “serious safety concerns” from the rail union...

The RMT has warned that there could be serious safety concerns if the vehicles were adapted to run on overground lines, while Arfon MP Hywel Williams said the move would be “inappropriate”.

At this point, the government says there are “no plans” to introduce refitted tube trains on the railway network. But rail bosses confirmed they had spoken to the firm currently refitting the units, and the restrictions on them being used overground have been lifted.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/old-unsafe-tube-trains-could-9335349
Combined with the requisite photo of 92 stock, a real 'tube train'.

222ben

Latest version of the 'D train' disinformation project here, as seen in District Dave's forum:

Combined with the requisite photo of 92 stock, a real 'tube train'.
utter wibble, railways (as we know them) havent been around for 200 years!

superalbs

Established Member
GO-OP! Rail want to use a Class 230 on their initial Taunton-Swindon service. The Class 230 would be a brilliant way to start the service, and guage interest, with a relatively low-risk.

Source: http://www.somerset.coop/2016/06/going-places-co-operative-transport.html

Route%2Bmap%2BTaunton%2B-%2BNuneaton.jpg

"Our events for Co-ops Fortnight will conclude tomorrow with 'Going Place' in Taunton. We will have two presentations - one from Alex Lawrie on GO-OP, the new co-operative rail operator proposing a new route form Taunton to Nuneaton (an ambitious plan, that still requires the consent of the Office of Rail and Road); and one from Mark Hodgson of Co-Cars who will bring their hi-tech car club operation to Taunton soon.
These two projects show how grassroots activism in communities can meet real needs and give rise to fast growing, technologically sophisticated social enterprises. What's more, those enterprises can remain firmly connected to the communities that gave rise to them, using membership participation to continually improve and adapt to the changing world.
Come along to 10 East Reach between 1pm and 3pm to find out more - and please stick around for the Annual General Meeting of SCS CIC at 4.30pm."

Status
Not open for further replies.