• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
This may well be the only new train to recently enter service that seems to be universally liked. Well done Vivarail.

Oh im sure theres still one or two old curmudgeons who will never like them because they have been so against the project from the start - more than likely due to them not liking Shooter but hey ho cant please everyone and i look forward to a trip on these soon

transmanche

Established Member
This may well be the only new train to recently enter service that seems to be universally liked.
Hmm, I'd have to ride one to be convinced. I disliked the D78 trains, which were the worst trains on the Underground. Hopefully, they are better suited to their new home.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Would there be a chance of the second unit arriving before the 15th of May?

All three are at Blethcley although 230003 hasn't been seen for a while.

I notice from RTT that they have started test/training runs again. Another unit came out of the depot at around 6pm tonight (operated by Vintage Trains). I don't think they have done this for a week or two, but it's currently planned for tonight and tomorrow only.
Could this be in preparation for bringing a second one into passenger service next week, or am I reading too much into it?

There has been some rectification work on one unit. No idea what but was told it was minor.

No idea when the 153 will go.

I am told at the timetable change

Good morning all, is it in service on the regular diagram today? Thanks!

yes.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There has been some rectification work on one unit. No idea what but was told it was minor.

Would you have expected that all three of the Class 230 units would have been delivered in a fully operational condition, considering the time that they were supposed to have been in service on this line. Vivarail surely have had enough production time to fulfil this obligation.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Would you have expected that all three of the Class 230 units would have been delivered in a fully operational condition, considering the time that they were supposed to have been in service on this line. Vivarail surely have had enough production time to fulfil this obligation.

you have never been involved with new rolling stock introduction have you? ;) The trains are still within the certification and test period so this is quite normal.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
you have never been involved with new rolling stock introduction have you? ;) The trains are still within the certification and test period so this is quite normal.

Did the original date for commencing this service have a special rider attached that allowed for certification and test periods to be fully completed and to allow the units to enter service later than the original date of contract commencement?

6Gtraincrew

Maybe it's a modification that ASLEF have requested. I'd heard that ALSEF had only agreed to driving them in service now if certain issues were fixed within a certain time scale.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
In respect of the delay in introduction to service, I believe that Northern are experiencing similar delays (albeit for very different reasons) in the introduction of their brand new, all-singing, all-dancing class 195 (etc) fleet. I'm not comparing total delay duration, here - just the fact there is one. Similarly, there were teething problems that slowed introduction to service of the seven brand new trams in Sheffield. etc.

In other words, I guess a slow start is to be expected.

Clip

Established Member
Did the original date for commencing this service have a special rider attached that allowed for certification and test periods to be fully completed and to allow the units to enter service later than the original date of contract commencement?

come along Paul - why dont you give it a rest now - I mean just look at the 195 thread for delays to trains being introduced yet you dont question every little detail of their delays to service so why these? Its looking very tiresome and very bitter from yourself now.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Obviously I am not privy to the terms of the contract but rolling stock contracts typically have a test period stating that X hours or Y miles must be completed fault free before the units will be accepted into service and the relevant milestone paid. If the actual introduction to service date is beyond the contacted introduction to service date liquidated damages will apply.

Railperf

Established Member
Is the 230 running today and if so is it running on a single or two engines today?

Brissle Girl

Established Member
And you can reel off numerous other new rolling stock orders that are currently badly delayed, in some cases over a year. Yet you don't seem to have the same interest in sniping at those manufacturers. What is it with VivaRail that you have such a downer on them? Is it the concept, or do you have some personal axe to grind with the people or company?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

whhistle

On Moderation
I wonder how much these cost compared with a Class 195 for example.
I was critical, but less so after seeing the review and a couple of videos.
They still look smart and clearly fill a gap well.

Neen Sollars

Paul, As you will recall 230003 was delivered to LNWR in September 2018, with the two other units due to follow shortly after. Their introduction into service on the Marston Vale Line should have been in December 2018. However during early testing an undisclosed fault was uncovered on 230003, which meant that 004 and 005 were delayed as modifications were required at Long Marston. It became clear at the end of October 2018 that the 230`s would be delayed, and a press release issued, http://vivarail.co.uk/vivarail-official-statement-marston-vale-line/. There has been a near six month delay, to the 230`s entering service, I assume that 230004 and 230005 have been fully rectified and are ready to go, I guess that 230003 has or is currently having the same modifications undertaken at Bletchley which 004 and 005 had done at Long Marston. There appears no need for 003 to return to the manufacturer. You will also have noted that whatever the fault was, it did not stop 230003 undertaking the many test runs it did between October and March. So three two car units for this contract with LNWR on the Marston Vale line, two in daily service and one spare. Only time will tell how successful and reliable the 230`s will be, but they appear to have been generally well received so far.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

One of the unique issues here was that the line needs a 2 x 20m (or shorter) DMU, but 1 x 23m was not enough. Nobody presently offers a short-vehicle DMU other than Stadler and Vivarail, and Stadler's option wastes a load of length on the "power car". So that left Vivarail or existing Class 150s the only options, other than using 3 x Class 153 and a bitty not-quite-hourly timetable.

Chris125

Established Member
This appears to give a good idea of the noise on-board; basically sounds like an EMU most of the time, the surprisingly unobtrusive diesel engines only really noticeable at low speeds or stationary.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I was critical, but less so after seeing the review and a couple of videos.
They still look smart and clearly fill a gap well.
I can see why TfW wanted to stick them on Chester - Crewe but that can't happen unless VivaRail find a way of eking 15mph out of them.

Neen Sollars

I can see why TfW wanted to stick them on Chester - Crewe but that can't happen unless VivaRail find a way of eking 15mph out of them.
In one of the videos of 230002 battery train at Bo`ness a Vivarail employee on board was heard to say he thought they were capable of 100 mph! Perhaps the 4 car hydrogen unit will be beefed up to attain 80 mph?
Look forward to seeing the 3 car TfW units which are of higher interior spec than the LNWR sets.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In one of the videos of 230002 battery train at Bo`ness a Vivarail employee on board was heard to say he thought they were capable of 100 mph! Perhaps the 4 car hydrogen unit will be beefed up to attain 80 mph?
Look forward to seeing the 3 car TfW units which are of higher interior spec than the LNWR sets.
Given a possession on a long, straight, level or downhill section of track I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a 230 "do the ton". The 60mph limit isn't because the units can't get to a higher speed, it's due to things like having smaller wheels than most mainline stock- which makes higher speeds less efficient. Higher speeds also require improved braking capability and presumably structural strength.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.