• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Why is Moeen Ali allowed to play for Worcestershire and Keaton Jennings for Lancashire in today's key relegation battles while Yorkshire have to do without Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow?
I can't answer your question, but I'll just point out that Worcs were already relegated, and that Anderson and Broad aren't playing for their respective counties, one of which will go down with Worcs. Yorks soon got the 2 points today that keeps them from relegation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Why is Jennings allowed to play? Because Yorkshire insisted? (I've seen his test dismissals). Ok he'll get a century now, sorry!
He has an unwelcome record - the most consecutive test innings by an England opener without a fifty. He made 48 today, which is probably a century by his standards: now my turn to say sorry!

Typhoon

Established Member
I can't answer your question, but I'll just point out that Worcs were already relegated, and that Anderson and Broad aren't playing for their respective counties, one of which will go down with Worcs. Yorks soon got the 2 points today that keeps them from relegation.
This may well be the reason but they are playing against a team that might have been relegated - unlikely, but possible. Moeen has already got a championship double hundred to his name this year. A repeat performance, declare 5 down. It might have been a different story. He also leads Worcester's bowling averages! It could be that Yorkshire agreed, in which case, it could have been costly!
I hope this doesn't sound rude but I think the most telling words in the above post are the first five because I suspect an awful lot of cricket supporters can't (me included, of course) . There needs to be some hard and fast rules; it is not like when I first went to a match - Surrey won the Championship and it didn't matter whether you finished 14th or 15th.

My turn to say sorry again - Jennings is top of Lancashire's batting averages!

Howardh

Established Member
Notts failed to get maximum bowling points which makes Lanc's job a tiny bit easier, at 207 for 5 they need to reach 300 and win and hope Notts (8 for 1) fail to reach 200 and lose. If Lancs could reach 350 then we could be in for a very interesting last couple of days. And where are Sky, exactly??:(

Busaholic

Veteran Member
This may well be the reason but they are playing against a team that might have been relegated - unlikely, but possible. Moeen has already got a championship double hundred to his name this year. A repeat performance, declare 5 down. It might have been a different story. He also leads Worcester's bowling averages! It could be that Yorkshire agreed, in which case, it could have been costly!
I hope this doesn't sound rude but I think the most telling words in the above post are the first five because I suspect an awful lot of cricket supporters can't (me included, of course) . There needs to be some hard and fast rules; it is not like when I first went to a match - Surrey won the Championship and it didn't matter whether you finished 14th or 15th.

My turn to say sorry again - Jennings is top of Lancashire's batting averages!
You weren't being rude to me, I only know what we're allowed to know, which isn't exactly transparent. In this country cricket is still run by the same sort of people who've always run it, except they're more overtly mercenary now. We have to accept that the contracted players are not just free to play for their counties now, however much they may wish it, and we'll never know the true reasons behind individual decisions. Scope for skulduggery? Of course, even if you're not given to conspiracy theories. Look how certain counties never get docked points for poor pitches!! Easier to go for the Kents and Derbyshires of the championship i.e. counties without power and influence.

I still say, though, that something is very wrong once again at Yorks - so many players leaving or not wanting to play, apparently.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Notts failed to get maximum bowling points which makes Lanc's job a tiny bit easier, at 207 for 5 they need to reach 300 and win and hope Notts (8 for 1) fail to reach 200 and lose. If Lancs could reach 350 then we could be in for a very interesting last couple of days. And where are Sky, exactly??:(

Unfortunately, Lancashire were all out for less than the required 300 run requirement and have now been confirmed as being relegated to the second tier of County Cricket.

Typhoon

Established Member
In this country cricket is still run by the same sort of people who've always run it, except they're more overtly mercenary now.
I'm not sure that I agree with this. When I first watched cricket, the emphasis was on playing the game and playing it 'properly', winning appeared to be secondary; now the reason why winning is important - nothing wrong with that - is that it makes money. I do think that 'mercenary' is an apt term to use, though.

We have to accept that the contracted players are not just free to play for their counties now, however much they may wish it, and we'll never know the true reasons behind individual decisions.
It would seem that there is every incentive not to develop young players, scout the dominions for anyone with family links to the UK (or, until March, the EU), sign players up with a Kolpak contract, look round for players with the less fashionable counties who are good county players - perhaps approaching their thirties and offer them a few more quid than they are currently earning while having to offer anything to the county that has developed them. Why invest in potential England players when they will never assist you in the years to come. When a team features more players born in South Africa (for instance) than their home county, you know we are in trouble.​

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Lancashire must be gutted about the point they got deducted earlier in the season (was this for a slow over rate?) as they would not have been relegated if this had not happened.

The_Train

Established Member
Didn't Lancashire finish 2nd in the top division last season? Quite a dramatic decline in a season that is

Howardh

Established Member
Didn't Lancashire finish 2nd in the top division last season? Quite a dramatic decline in a season that is
Yes, well off the top (Essex) who ran away with it. You could say we finished 7th from bottom. This season we finished second from bottom, a drop of a mere 5 places!!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I know it's schadenfreude, but I was quite chuffed that Essex spoiled Surrey's unbeaten record this season, having managed it themselves last season :D
Middlesex, Essex, Surrey... by my reckoning, that means Kent are in line to win First Division Championship next season 'lol' One in the eye for Sam Northeast.

Typhoon

Established Member
Middlesex, Essex, Surrey... by my reckoning, that means Kent are in line to win First Division Championship next season 'lol' One in the eye for Sam Northeast.
If I join them, it resembles a spiral - next stop 'Hampshire', and, judging by their acquisitions policy, I wouldn't bet against them (unfortunately).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If I join them, it resembles a spiral - next stop 'Hampshire', and, judging by their acquisitions policy, I wouldn't bet against them (unfortunately).
Considering all the financial benefits they have, Hampshire are remarkably under-achieving, though. Yes, a cup final win this year (against Kent) largely due to Mr Northeast, but they're staring relegation in the face most years. Abbott was a shrewd purchase, and Fidel Edwards a quality bowler of an old-fashioned West Indian kind that used to prop up county sides in the 1970s/80s.

Typhoon

Established Member
Considering all the financial benefits they have, Hampshire are remarkably under-achieving, though. Yes, a cup final win this year (against Kent) largely due to Mr Northeast, but they're staring relegation in the face most years. Abbott was a shrewd purchase, and Fidel Edwards a quality bowler of an old-fashioned West Indian kind that used to prop up county sides in the 1970s/80s.
Plus Barker (Warks) and Donald (Glam) signed up already with Steyn threatening to return and no obvious England calls. I just feel that they are buying themselves success. They are an aging team though (Abbott, Barker, Berg, Edwards, Steyn all over 30).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Plus Barker (Warks) and Donald (Glam) signed up already with Steyn threatening to return and no obvious England calls. I just feel that they are buying themselves success. They are an aging team though (Abbott, Barker, Berg, Edwards, Steyn all over 30).
They seem unable to develop any cricketers themselves. Vince looks nice, but can't produce the goods. Mason Crane appears to have fallen by the wayside, and is probably down to no. 3 (out of 3) in the England leg spinner pecking order. Dawson was preferred to Briggs as a spinner, even in red ball cricket, and somehow got into the test side as probably the least deserving pick of the last decade.

higthomas

They seem unable to develop any cricketers themselves. Vince looks nice, but can't produce the goods. Mason Crane appears to have fallen by the wayside, and is probably down to no. 3 (out of 3) in the England leg spinner pecking order. Dawson was preferred to Briggs as a spinner, even in red ball cricket, and somehow got into the test side as probably the least deserving pick of the last decade.

I think Hampshire now remind me of Surrey of about 5 years ago. Look where giving your young a few years to get it together has got us!

Mikey C

Established Member
I hadn't realised there was a cricket thread here!

Great to celebrate some success with Kent, with decent performance in the white ball stuff and promotion from Div 2. A great effort for a relatively poor county to be competitive in both forms of the game.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I hadn't realised there was a cricket thread here!

Great to celebrate some success with Kent, with decent performance in the white ball stuff and promotion from Div 2. A great effort for a relatively poor county to be competitive in both forms of the game.
It'll be great to be able to trounce Hampshire, Surrey and Essex (to name but three) again, culminating in Kent winning the County Championship on the last day of the season! I can dream, but I was at the Oval the last time it happened.

Mikey C

Established Member
It'll be great to be able to trounce Hampshire, Surrey and Essex (to name but three) again, culminating in Kent winning the County Championship on the last day of the season! I can dream, but I was at the Oval the last time it happened.

If only...

Cletus

Established Member
Sri Lankan 11 had a switch-bowler for something different.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45762337

Ambidextrous spinner Kamindu Mendis bowled both right-arm off-spin and slow left-arm during the tourists' chase at the P Sara Oval.

The 20-year-old switched, depending on whether the left-handed Morgan or right-handed Root was on strike - looking to turn the ball away from both batsmen and finishing with figures of 0-37 off eight overs.

Pakenhamtrain

The review into culture in Australian cricket has come out:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10...cket-australia-culture/10440972?section=sport
An independent review of Cricket Australia (CA) has delivered a scathing report on the governance and culture of the organisation.

The review described Australia's players as living in a "gilded bubble — disconnected, for much of each year, from families, friends and the grounding influence of community".
Key points:
  • Cricket Australia urged to accept its responsibility for circumstances that gave rise to ball-tampering scandal
  • CA labelled as "arrogant and controlling" and not living up to its values
  • Review says players lived in a "gilded bubble" disconnected from family and influence of the community

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 1 of the first Test Match saw England lose their top five batsmen to the Sri Lankan bowling attack by the lunch period, but an excellent 87 not out by Foakes with assistance from the later order batsmen saw England close the day on 321-8.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Just hope that Ben Foakes can stay at the crease long enough for his maiden Test Century on his Maiden Test Match.

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Just hope that Ben Foulkes can stay at the crease long enough for his maiden Test Century on his Maiden Test Match.
Well, he did! Would be good now if Foakes can keep his place! For how long have the pundits been saying that he is the best'keeper in England?