• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

greyman42

Established Member
I can't see why they'd rush to add Stokes to the team and not play him, although I agree it shouldn't be like that. Stokes is a very lucky young man imo. I'd drop Rashid too, but I suspect it'll be Curran.
I would not say Stokes is very lucky, more like the CPS are incompetent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I would not say Stokes is very lucky, more like the CPS are incompetent.
OK, Stokes was lucky that the CPS proved incompetent. His bowling figures today suggest either his mind wasn't on the job or that he was deliberately targeted by the Indian batsmen. A more combative opponent than India would have made sure he was on the receiving end of a lot of 'chat' too, knowing he'd be constrained in his response.

bnm

Established Member
Really could have done with Stokes putting on a punchy performance on day one.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Well Thursday's match was brilliant!
I thought that Kent were going to beat Lancashire, but they came back with a 6 and a boundary in the last over.

Let's hope today's is just as good, as I'm going to Worcester to see it!

Howardh

Established Member
What a win from nowhere for Lanky. That puts the pigeon amongst the cats for the rest of the season, and Lancs leapfrog above Hants, Worc and Yorks, but have played a game more which is very significant.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
What a win from nowhere for Lanky. That puts the pigeon amongst the cats for the rest of the season, and Lancs leapfrog above Hants, Worc and Yorks, but have played a game more which is very significant.

That unbeaten stand of 139 by Dane Vilas 107 not out (15 x 4) and Josh Bohannon 78 not out (14 x 4) on a nice summers day on the third day at Trafalgar Road, Southport, against Worcestershire took them from what looked like yet another losing position of 178-6 with well over a day still to play to a four wicket win, reaching 317-6 in their second innings.

cactustwirly

Established Member

They're playing?
Well hopefully Worcs can beat the lankys at Edgbaston!

kevconnor

I think the hint for me is to not go to the games. I go to Southport yesterday and Worcestershire nearly get into an unbeatable position. Go to Belfast today and Afghanistan trounce Ireland. I'm guessing if I was to go to Headingley tomorrow Yorkshire would manage to pull off the 411 the need to win.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I think the hint for me is to not go to the games. I go to Southport yesterday and Worcestershire nearly get into an unbeatable position. Go to Belfast today and Afghanistan trounce Ireland. I'm guessing if I was to go to Headingley tomorrow Yorkshire would manage to pull off the 411 the need to win.
You evidently didn't go then! Wonder whether Yorks will have Bairstow available for their next game?

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Where have all Yorkshire's bowlers gone? Rashid, Plunkett, Coad, Bresnan, Patterson, Rafiq, even Root all missing for a variety of different reasons against Worcestershire & Somerset. And Sidebottom retired last year. It's that bad we even had to sign a second team spinner from Warwickshire. And now Fisher is injured. Don't know where the injuries have come from as we've hardly played any proper cricket since May. It's all doom and gloom in the broad acres.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Where have all Yorkshire's bowlers gone? Rashid, Plunkett, Coad, Bresnan, Patterson, Rafiq, even Root all missing for a variety of different reasons against Worcestershire & Somerset. And Sidebottom retired last year. It's that bad we even had to sign a second team spinner from Warwickshire. And now Fisher is injured. Don't know where the injuries have come from as we've hardly played any proper cricket since May. It's all doom and gloom in the broad acres.
Plunkett is moving on to another county, I believe (could be Surrey?). Rashid will probably never play another red ball match for Yorkshire, or perhaps any match in any format. Are Yorkshire going through one of their many periods of internal strife? Willey an ''interesting'' choice as captain given Yorkshire weren't best pleased, to say the least, when he decamped without notice earlier this season to play in the IPL.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is the wicket at Taunton playing true, as 22 wickets fall there of the first day of the Somerset v Lancashire County Championship match?
That very rare event has just occurred, a tie in a first class match. Somerset had lost eight wickets when scores were level but Dom Bess managed to get himself stumped going for the winning run, and two overs later Jack Leach, at no. 11, also got out with the score on 77, chasing 78 to win! Lancashire's Maharaj emulated fellow left arm spinner Leach with his figures. Why is Leach not in the side for the next test, in place of Rashid?

ian1944

I wonder if Liam Livingstone's return for Lancashire will help them keep up this year. He eased himself in last weekend by sub-pro-ing for Cheadle (Staffs) - double century in the league on Saturday, top scorer on Sunday in the lost cup final. Three years ago he played for Nantwich against Caldy in the National Club Championship, a wee bit one-sided - Nantwich 579-7 from 45 overs (Livingstone 350 from 138 balls), Caldy 79. Winning a one-day match by 500 takes some doing.

kje7812

147 for Cook in his final innings for England, and has set the match very nicely for England. Root probably relieved to get 125 after having a barren patch recently.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
What a depressing day at Headingley - sat in a biting wind watching a side totally devoid of confidence and leadership. What has gone wrong with Yorkshire? Players no longer wish to play for us. Are we totally unable to produce a home-grown spin bowler to replace Rashid? If we can't, why aren't we signing a spinning all rounder as our overseas player? Playing five seamers is perverse. The bowling today was tight but lacked variety. Where were the yorkers, bouncers and balls down Geoffrey's corridor of uncertainty? We are letting average sides score 400+ every game.

And, apart from the excellent Pepsi who scored over half our runs, the batters all lacked self belief. We weren't helped by a couple of questionable umpiring decisions - pity we weren't able to "review" - but that is no excuse.

The game is lost already with a 20 point or more swing to Lancashire. So we are to all intents and purposes down. I don't think even Joe Root and Johnny Bairstow, if they the ECB let us have them, can inspire this lot to wins in our two remaining games.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
What a depressing day at Headingley - sat in a biting wind watching a side totally devoid of confidence and leadership. What has gone wrong with Yorkshire? Players no longer wish to play for us. Are we totally unable to produce a home-grown spin bowler to replace Rashid? If we can't, why aren't we signing a spinning all rounder as our overseas player? Playing five seamers is perverse. The bowling today was tight but lacked variety. Where were the yorkers, bouncers and balls down Geoffrey's corridor of uncertainty? We are letting average sides score 400+ every game.

And, apart from the excellent Pepsi who scored over half our runs, the batters all lacked self belief. We weren't helped by a couple of questionable umpiring decisions - pity we weren't able to "review" - but that is no excuse.

The game is lost already with a 20 point or more swing to Lancashire. So we are to all intents and purposes down. I don't think even Joe Root and Johnny Bairstow, if they the ECB let us have them, can inspire this lot to wins in our two remaining games.
Andrew Gale the wrong man in charge? That's a question, not an assertion, by the way. My grandfather was a Yorkshire CCC member from being a teen until after his 80th birthday, despite leaving Huddersfield, and Yorkshire, for good when he left school. He took me as a kid to the Surrey v Yorkshire match every year, so saw Jim Laker, Fred Trueman, Johnny Wardle and Peter May, among others.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Well I certainly got that wrong didn't I? What a recovery by the White Rose. Jack Brooks bowls garbage on Monday and then goes on to take 9 wickets in the match. He's jumping ship at the end of the season of course. And how much longer before England take Ben Coad away from us? Just hoping now that Worcester don't beat Surrey.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Congratulations to Worcester on winning the T20 final, a deserved winner over both games today. A excellent performance by Sussex also as finalists.

Agreed, I'm so happy that my team won!
The final was brilliant, I actually thought Sussex were going to win, until the 17th over when Worcestershire came back with a load of 4s and 6s.

Typhoon

Established Member
Congratulations to Worcester on winning the T20 final, a deserved winner over both games today. A excellent performance by Sussex also as finalists.
I am not a supporter of either team but what cheered me up was that neither of the finalists were 'the usual suspects'. Certain teams seem to be hoovering up the talent from the less prodigious counties, as shown by the number of loans this month which will become permanent next season. A retrograde step in my opinion.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Why is Moeen Ali allowed to play for Worcestershire and Keaton Jennings for Lancashire in today's key relegation battles while Yorkshire have to do without Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow?

Typhoon

Established Member
Why is Moeen Ali allowed to play for Worcestershire and Keaton Jennings for Lancashire in today's key relegation battles while Yorkshire have to do without Joe Root and Jonny Bairstow?
These are always a mystery to me. Have Root and Bairstow played for Yorkshire in the championship earlier in the season? The only reason might be that the first ODI v Sri Lanka is on 10th October, in which case is why is Moeen Playing?

Its the same as Notts sign up Duckett and Slater earlier in the month on 'loan', straight into the first team, as well as Brathwaite - are they short of batsman? What would stop Yorkshire signing up du Plessis or Kohli for the last game of the season?

There should be clear rules for who should play and when. For a start, no new players after the end of August. Wicket keepers the only possible exception. Test/ ODI players not permitted to play 4 weeks before overseas international matches, 2 weeks before home matches. (Please feel free to discuss this, I haven't given it much thought).

Why is Jennings allowed to play? Because Yorkshire insisted? (I've seen his test dismissals). Ok he'll get a century now, sorry!