• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Having watched a bit of test and 50-over cricket these last few weeks, I have come to the view that something needs to be done about the white ball. It doesn't seam, it doesn't swing and it doesn't turn. As a result, bowlers don't stand a chance, so much so that the par score is now 350+. Is it any wonder that batsmen look lost when they come back to play proper cricket?

I won't watch T20 because it cricket for cretins and it is far too short. I want to see 90-100 overs in a day. And I want to see a decent battle between the batsmen and the bowlers with good deliveries beating the bat.

This isn't sour grapes. We beat the Lanky's 379 to 363 yesterday in a game which was in the balance to the end - but it was just a slogging match with most of the bowlers going for 70 off their 10 overs.

Is it beyond the capabilities of ball makers to give us a white ball which behaves like a cricket ball and not a hockey or billiard ball?

What a pleasure it was to watch a proper Roses match over the last couple of days with ...

... Both teams being at more or less full strength (apart from certain Yorkshire prima donna bowlers who think they can pick and choose which games they play in)

... And a red ball and a wicket which seamed, spun and swung and made for a fair contest between bat and ball.

The star batsmen were made to work for their runs which is how it should be. One or two came up short.

Who would have thought the game would be finally decided by Joe Root's bowling?

Livingstone's injury was bad luck for Lancs. He should have never have come out to bat at 204-9, over 100 runs behind. I'm glad Anderson ensured he didn't have to face a ball.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
What a pleasure it was to watch a proper Roses match over the last couple of days with ...

... Both teams being at more or less full strength (apart from certain Yorkshire prima donna bowlers who think they can pick and choose which games they play in)

... And a red ball and a wicket which seamed, spun and swung and made for a fair contest between bat and ball.

The star batsmen were made to work for their runs which is how it should be. One or two came up short.

Who would have thought the game would be finally decided by Joe Root's bowling?

Livingstone's injury was bad luck for Lancs. He should have never have come out to bat at 204-9, over 100 runs behind. I'm glad Anderson ensured he didn't have to face a ball.
If your reference was to Adil Rashid, then I think he's being foolish in turning his back on 'red ball' cricket as he could still have a place in a test team, albeit not every match. But maybe you were thinking of Willey? He certainly appears to have some prima donna tendencies.

bnm

Established Member
With their fifth win on the bounce, and currently undefeated, the County Championship is Surrey's to lose.

Of course, as a Somerset fan waiting for that elusive first ever County Championship trophy, I'm hopeful that the Cidermen can hunt Surrey down. 23 points from tomorrow, taking the remaining 8 Worcs wickets, will help...

bnm

Established Member
At last! At last!! After a quite unbelievable club record last wicket stand for Worcestershire, Somerset finally put the match to bed. Won by 141 runs. 22 points bagged, not 23 as I stated above.

Pakenhamtrain

And so doomsday moves a step closer!

(To add context: the article indicates that the mcc have said men need not wear jackets in the lords pavilion!!!!!!!)
I would say it's soft but our MCC(Melbourne Cricket club) allows members to dispense with the jackets in it's version of the Long Room during the summer months. Which is odd given it's located in a stand built in 2004 and is air conditioned. Don't have to have a jacket to walk into the MCC reserve however. Collared shirt is the minimum.

Howardh

Established Member
I would say it's soft but our MCC(Melbourne Cricket club) allows members to dispense with the jackets in it's version of the Long Room during the summer months. Which is odd given it's located in a stand built in 2004 and is air conditioned. Don't have to have a jacket to walk into the MCC reserve however. Collared shirt is the minimum.
True - the Gretaer Old Trafford pavilion was (until around the mid 80's-ish) male only, and I was a member of course. However a make member was a transvestite insisted on turning up in dresses etc, and there was no dress-code in the rules apart from no bare torsos.
Eventually LCCC saw the stupidity of it all and allowed women into the Pavilion at long last. But still no bare torsos!!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
True - the Gretaer Old Trafford pavilion was (until around the mid 80's-ish) male only, and I was a member of course. However a make member was a transvestite insisted on turning up in dresses etc, and there was no dress-code in the rules apart from no bare torsos.
Eventually LCCC saw the stupidity of it all and allowed women into the Pavilion at long last. But still no bare torsos!!
I'm with them on the torsos - seriously, I wouldn't want to be sat in close proximity to someone so unclothed. It's not the beach!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If your reference was to Adil Rashid, then I think he's being foolish in turning his back on 'red ball' cricket as he could still have a place in a test team, albeit not every match. But maybe you were thinking of Willey? He certainly appears to have some prima donna tendencies.
Apparently you can still have a place in the England test side even when you refuse to play in the Roses match, knowing that your name is 'in the frame' for the tests!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Second Test Match....Day 2 of 5

Having lost the first day's play to the London weather and also a good part of the second day, England dismissed India for 107 in their first innings in 35.2 overs.

Our Mr Dependable, James Anderson (known to some in Australia some years ago as an "elderly pie-chucker") belied any such derogatory terms by returning the most excellent bowling return on a day favouring swing bowling of 13.2 - 5 - 20 - 5.

Howardh

Established Member
Second Test Match....Day 2 of 5

Having lost the first day's play to the London weather and also a good part of the second day, England dismissed India for 107 in their first innings in 35.2 overs.

Our Mr Dependable, James Anderson (known to some in Australia some years ago as an "elderly pie-chucker") belied any such derogatory terms by returning the most excellent bowling return on a day favouring swing bowling of 13.2 - 5 - 20 - 5.
He's quite a promising prospect is our young James. Hope he makes it to the Lancashire first team one day.....8-)

The_Train

Established Member
I've not really followed cricket as closely as I used to (mainly as I no longer have sky sports to watch it on) but one thing I always used to wonder was who is going to be our next James Anderson? He's been a pivotal part of all of our recent successes and I've not seen anyone coming through who looks like they will get anywhere near his ability

kevconnor

I always think when you have a player of that ability within a team (regardless of the sport) it probably isn't about thinking who will replace them, as the teams invariably bend and shape their style to match the abilities of the individual, but rather, what style of play will the team develop once the player leaves.

The England team of (Sir) Jimmy has been dominated by a bowling attack of seam and medium pace, will this still be the same going forward?

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I always think when you have a player of that ability within a team (regardless of the sport) it probably isn't about thinking who will replace them, as the teams invariably bend and shape their style to match the abilities of the individual, but rather, what style of play will the team develop once the player leaves.

I agree... but the problem is that the media - and many fans - do not. Moeen Ali has suffered considerably because he is not Graeme Swann, and think what a pickle the Australians got into when they were searching for the 'next' Shane Warne. Players invariably suffer if constant references are made to their illustrious immediate predecessor.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
In all sports, we've always looked for the "Next Jimmy Anderson" / "Next Bobby Charlton" etc., etc..

This puts unfair pressure on the players who have to take over from them, whether or not they're actually as good as their predecessor when they start.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Stokes found not guilty.

BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45182868

BBC said:
England cricketer Ben Stokes has been found not guilty of affray after a fight near a Bristol nightclub.

The Durham all-rounder, 27, denied the charge following the fracas between a group of men last September.

His lawyer Paul Lunt said it was "the end of an 11-month ordeal" for Mr Stokes, who was "keen to get back to cricket being his sole focus".

Ryan Ali, 28 - who was knocked unconscious in the brawl - was also found not guilty of the same charge

The_Train

Established Member
It's interesting that the gay couple Stokes was supposedly homophobic towards have spoken out today to say that Stokes was indeed defending them from a homophobic attack. They also go on to say that they were told by the CPS that they were not required in court and therefore their evidence was never heard

Gay couple protected by cricketer Ben Stokes in Bristol street brawl says he’s their ‘hero’ after he is cleared of affray

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7017269/gay-couple-defend-ben-stokes-affray/

*apologies that it's a link to The Sun :oops:

kevconnor

Indeed but seemingly the defence choose not to call them as well.

A decision Would have been made by each side not to call them based on possible evidence they may have given and possible impact on the case that each side was trying to build.

It ultimately worked out ok for the defense team not to call them.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The big question now that Stokes has been brought into the team for the next test is, who gets left out? Woakes did a pretty good job as a replacement (understatement) so is bombproof, as are Anderson and Broad. Rashid has hardly had a chance to show his worth (or not), Buttler was a controversial selection but is vice-captain, so who does that leave? Yes, I reckon Sam Curran will draw the short straw, which seems patently unfair, unless Rashid gets the chop, which will make the reason for his being brought back even more curious. In the meantime, we all keep whistling, pretending not to notice that Alastair Cook is no longer worth his place, and Jennings inspires no more confidence than last time.

kevconnor

For purely selfish reasons I’d be happy with Jennings, Lancs facing relegation from D1 and facing three key games over next few weeks. He did well for us earlier in the year before his call up and wouldn’t mind him back since we’re now also without Liam.

Macwomble

The big question now that Stokes has been brought into the team for the next test is, who gets left out? Woakes did a pretty good job as a replacement (understatement) so is bombproof, as are Anderson and Broad. Rashid has hardly had a chance to show his worth (or not), Buttler was a controversial selection but is vice-captain, so who does that leave? Yes, I reckon Sam Curran will draw the short straw, which seems patently unfair, unless Rashid gets the chop, which will make the reason for his being brought back even more curious. In the meantime, we all keep whistling, pretending not to notice that Alastair Cook is no longer worth his place, and Jennings inspires no more confidence than last time.

If (& I reckon it's a BIG if) they decide to play Stokes then I'd drop Broad. He doesn't bat any more & he tends to bowl the odd good spell rather than bowl well consistently.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
If (& I reckon it's a BIG if) they decide to play Stokes then I'd drop Broad. He doesn't bat any more & he tends to bowl the odd good spell rather than bowl well consistently.

Agree that it is a big if, or rather it should be but I'm not sure they'll see it like that. I think that I would go for Curran or Rashid...Curran's time will come and surely it's not going to spin at Trent Bridge? Anyway, I wouldn't have a leggie as the sole spinner anyway. As for Broad he has been written off so many times....not long ago Vaughn was tweeting how both Broad and Anderson should be discarded, he didn't mention that at all when I was listening to TMS on Sunday......

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Agree that it is a big if, or rather it should be but I'm not sure they'll see it like that. I think that I would go for Curran or Rashid...Curran's time will come and surely it's not going to spin at Trent Bridge? Anyway, I wouldn't have a leggie as the sole spinner anyway. As for Broad he has been written off so many times....not long ago Vaughn was tweeting how both Broad and Anderson should be discarded, he didn't mention that at all when I was listening to TMS on Sunday......
I can't see why they'd rush to add Stokes to the team and not play him, although I agree it shouldn't be like that. Stokes is a very lucky young man imo. I'd drop Rashid too, but I suspect it'll be Curran.