• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Howardh

Established Member
Imagine Clive in the T20 game - he'd make Chris Gayle seem like an amateur.
As a Lanky who began his life watching Big Clive bat, I'm not so sure about that - it took Clive a wee while to "warm up" into his innings, and once going he was lethal. Nowadays they don't have the time to get their eye in - at least in 20/20, but we will never know whether Clive could have adapted to the modern game. Viv Richards, wow, watch him in 20/20 from the off!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ferret

Established Member
Root hilariously thinks he isn’t under pressure, as per an interview with TMS. Mate, anyone who has even played club cricket knows that a tactically naive captain averaging 25 with the bat over the last year is not going to continue in the job.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is an elephant in the room at present; Joe Root is not a captain.
He's lost the Ashes twice, lost plenty of other Tests and series and cannot buy a run. If he wasn't captain he'd have been dropped by now and as a captain he's pretty middle of the road.

Surely he cannot last much longer?

Root hilariously thinks he isn’t under pressure, as per an interview with TMS. Mate, anyone who has even played club cricket knows that a tactically naive captain averaging 25 with the bat over the last year is not going to continue in the job.

I came very close to abusing my car radio when he came out with that corker! :lol:

Ferret

Established Member
I don't know whether he is or he isn't, but who would you have - there doesn't strike me as being too many alternatives?

Might have to be Rory Burns, who has some captaincy experience at least. But, is he sure of his place? For now maybe. Buttler is probably the only other candidate.

Nasser Hussain called it the other day; the Root who turns up to play in the ODI side under Morgan is a different beast to the stressed individual who turns up to captain the Test side.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There is an elephant in the room at present; Joe Root is not a captain.

Looking at an England captain of past times with a very strong mindset, which is a quality needed to captain at 5 day Test Match level, I recall that Douglas Jardine who was captain in the 1932-33 Ashes Tour was the type of person to fulfil that role.

He also was quite a good batsman in his own right, averaging 48.0 in Test Matches and 46.8 in all first-class cricket matches.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
As a Lanky who began his life watching Big Clive bat, I'm not so sure about that - it took Clive a wee while to "warm up" into his innings, and once going he was lethal. Nowadays they don't have the time to get their eye in - at least in 20/20, but we will never know whether Clive could have adapted to the modern game. Viv Richards, wow, watch him in 20/20 from the off!!

I miss the days when Roses matches were all about Sir Geoffrey vs Clive Lloyd. Crowds were so high that Bradford City Transport used to run special buses direct to Headingley. Now they're usually played before sparse crowds with all the test players missing. One of my happiest memories was one of us Tykes running Clive out for 0 before he'd even faced a ball. But we did have a proper game at Old Trafford in May a couple of years back when Joe Root got Jos Buttler out just before close of play on the 3rd day to set up a Yorkshire win.

Howardh

Established Member
I miss the days when Roses matches were all about Sir Geoffrey vs Clive Lloyd. Crowds were so high that Bradford City Transport used to run special buses direct to Headingley. Now they're usually played before sparse crowds with all the test players missing. One of my happiest memories was one of us Tykes running Clive out for 0 before he'd even faced a ball. But we did have a proper game at Old Trafford in May a couple of years back when Joe Root got Jos Buttler out just before close of play on the 3rd day to set up a Yorkshire win.
I won't respond with Colin Croft taking five in the last half-hour in one spell at Boycott and the top order!
Many won't realise that in those days the Roses championship games were covered by ITV (Granada and Yorkshire) and we used to get half-an-hour here, an hour there if we were lucky! Think they were the only Championship games covered (no Sky then of course). Sober's 6 6's was luckily caught by BBC Wales who were covering a friendly/warm-up game Glamorgan v West Indies, if (say) Sobers had done that in a Championship game there would be no footage of that feat at all.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not sure you're right about that - Gayle may end up with a fantastic strike rate, but he likes to see the ball for an over or two even in 20/20. His uninterest in taking singles sometimes counts against him too. I still kick myself that I turned down the chance to watch the Somerset v Kent 20/20 match in which he scored 151 not out, but Kent batting second won! I analysed his innings from the scorecard, and realised that Gayle's fantastic strike rate was because he only faced 60 balls of an 120 ball innings - you can't hit a four or a six from the balls you don't face. When your batting partner is trying to get a single to get you on strike, but you won't run....

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Think they were the only Championship games covered (no Sky then of course). Sober's 6 6's was luckily caught by BBC Wales who were covering a friendly/warm-up game Glamorgan v West Indies, if (say) Sobers had done that in a Championship game there would be no footage of that feat at all.

The match was actually Glamorgan v Nottinghamshire in the County Championship, and Garry Sobers was captain of Notts. He went in to push the score on to enable a declaration … and succeeded! I think that BBC Wales covered quite a few matches in those days, but it was very lucky that they were still on air when the over took place, as they had been due to end their coverage a few overs before. Wilf Wooller, the Glamorgan Secretary who was commentating on the match, asked the Director to keep filming, he agreed ... and the rest is history!

Howardh

Established Member
The match was actually Glamorgan v Nottinghamshire in the County Championship, and Garry Sobers was captain of Notts. He went in to push the score on to enable a declaration … and succeeded! I think that BBC Wales covered quite a few matches in those days, but it was very lucky that they were still on air when the over took place, as they had been due to end their coverage a few overs before. Wilf Wooller, the Glamorgan Secretary who was commentating on the match, asked the Director to keep filming, he agreed ... and the rest is history!
Well I didn't know that! Of course Sobers was Nott's overseas player so that makes sense, I think the coverage was a Welsh opt-out for Grandstand? In the late 70's and 80's BBC Wales covered Glamorgan's sunday league games rather than those shown on the general service and remember the cameras for BBC Wales being at Colwyn Bay for a Lancashire game, luckily being in south Lancs I was close enough for a decent signal!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm not sure whether it was for Grandstand, although it could have been because it was a Saturday.

We didn't have a television then, so I would have missed it all anyway, despite being in Newport!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm not sure whether it was for Grandstand, although it could have been because it was a Saturday.

We didn't have a television then, so I would have missed it all anyway, despite being in Newport!
I was a Londoner with a Welsh grandmother and father who liked to think of himself as Welsh, though he never lived there, and our holidays in the early/mid 1950s were to modest hotels in South Wales, but they did at least have TV rooms. I quickly discovered that BBC Wales, unlike the BBC in England, covered Glamorgan's home county championship matches, so I got to see such local legends as Don Shepherd and Jeff Jones, father of Simon.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 1 of the Second Test Match started well for England, with New Zealand at 39-2 with a wicket each for Broad and Woakes, but a century stand by Lathom and Taylor took the score on to 155-3, before Taylor fell to Woakes. All three wickets were catches by Root. Stokes only managed a couple of overs before being injured. The day ended early with New Zealand at 173-3 with Lathom completing his century with 101 not out.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 2 of the Second Test Match saw another good middle order batting performance by New Zealand, with Mitchell (73) and Watling (55) to the fore, but at least the English bowling attack took the remaining seven wickets to fall, but New Zealand still made 375 in their innings. Broad with 4-73 and Woakes with 3-83 were the main wicket-takers.

England, with only the tail end of the day's play to face, again started badly and soon lost Sibley (4) and Denly (4) before closing the day's play at 39-2.

Pakenhamtrain

The Day/Night test has begun and it's all Australia.
At stumps day 2:
Australia 3/589 dec.
Warner 335*
Burns 4
Labuschange 162
Smith 36
Wade 38*

During the innings Smith became the fastest to 7000 runs. A 73 year old record.

Pakistan cricket team* 6/96.

*possibly impersonating a real cricket team.
https://twitter.com/7Cricket/status/1200731999503187969

We really should be thanking Joffra Archer for unleashing Labuschange.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 3 of the Second Test Match saw some much needed concentration by English batsmen and Burns and Root took the score on to 201 before the fall of the third wicket before Burns who had just completed his century was run out. Root finished the day unbeaten on 114 not out and at close of play, England had moved on to 269-5.

SteveM70

Established Member
I don't know whether he is or he isn't, but who would you have - there doesn't strike me as being too many alternatives?

and that’s an unintended consequence of central contracts - England players play so little county cricket these days that they’re very rarely county captains, so in captaincy terms can go straight from under 19s to international cricket

Busaholic

Veteran Member
and that’s an unintended consequence of central contracts - England players play so little county cricket these days that they’re very rarely county captains, so in captaincy terms can go straight from under 19s to international cricket
Sometimes players get chosen for England, or continue to play for their country, because they're seen as potential leadership material, though. Keaton Jennings and James Vince could be said to have had extra chances on this basis: it's almost always batsmen!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 4 of the Second Test Match saw the partnership between Root and Pope flourish and they had taken the score to 455 before being parted, then a collapse followed with the last five English wickets only adding 21 runs. Root made his double century (224) and Pope (75) both bettered their series averages. Amazingly, it was Wagner who struck at the end of the England innings, taking all five wickets, which certainly improved his bowling return to 5 for 124.

New Zealand lost two early second innings wickets to be 28-2 at one time, but then applied themselves and at close of play, they reached 96-2.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Funny enough that is the discussion down here. A lot of people are conflicted. They're happy for him but not at the same time.

he is obviously a good player which makes the cheating harder to take. It was all so unnecessary. That is a great score but cant really be celebrated because of past behaviour. His style clearly doesn't favour long form cricket in English conditions