• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Oswyntail

Established Member
Felt desperately sorry for Kerrigan on Thursday, can't recall seeing such a horrific debut before. Not sure either that it was a good move to give both Kerrigan and Woakes a first cap in this game, hopefully Woakes can perform with the bat.
Kerrigan will come good if he isn't permanently scarred. But, if he is, that's test cricket :( I am unsure about Woakes. He is not yet up to being third seamer in a test side (will he ever be? He doesn't impress me in shorter formats either), and his inclusion does seem unfair on the other candidates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buttsy

Established Member
Time for England's mis-firing batsmen to stand up today and post a good score, still a good batting wicket and perfect weather is forecast. Australian bowlers didn't do too well yesterday evening in my opinion, too many 'leave alone' balls which helped England negotiate a tricky session'
Felt desperately sorry for Kerrigan on Thursday, can't recall seeing such a horrific debut before. Not sure either that it was a good move to give both Kerrigan and Woakes a first cap in this game, hopefully Woakes can perform with the bat.

Worse debut - Gavin Hamilton, Wanderers 1999, 2 ducks and 0 for 63

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Worse debut - Gavin Hamilton, Wanderers 1999, 2 ducks and 0 for 63

Yep, forgot about Hamilton, don't think that he played again (without checking) - but did play for his native Scotland.
....and Chris Schofield never made it either, neither did Ian Salisbury (as a test player, anyway)....but both had a few games in the dark days of English cricket. I do hope that Kerrigan isn't too scarred by his debut, England will need a spinner when Swann hangs up his boots and by all accounts he is the best of the younger ones. has Monty p****d on his chips permanently?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
With much of the second day being lost to the inclement weather, what could have been an intriguing 5th and final Test Match has lost some of its tactical possibilities and the fact that the England total of 247-4 at the end of the third day was made in no less than 116 overs, shows that England have accepted that the large Australian first innings score have made this a Test Match one to draw..not one to win.

Cook as captain should have been having a quiet "captain to player" chat with Kerrigan in an attempt to limit the shock of his first Test Match performance to date.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Anybody new to cricket watching England yesterday for the first time will no doubt be lost to cricket for-ever.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Anybody new to cricket watching England yesterday for the first time will no doubt be lost to cricket for-ever.

Yes, it was a bit turgid, wasn't it? - but cricket can't always be exciting (and that goes for limited over stuff as well)...and there have been some genuine edge of seat moments in this series. Despite what they might say, I think that England had an eye on the weather forecast for today once Australia had posted their first innings score. They are getting some stick in the press, but that's the English media for you, they'll tear into you if you're losing and do the same if you're winning! I'd have taken 3-0 at the start of the series!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, it was a bit turgid, wasn't it? - but cricket can't always be exciting (and that goes for limited over stuff as well)...and there have been some genuine edge of seat moments in this series. Despite what they might say, I think that England had an eye on the weather forecast for today once Australia had posted their first innings score. They are getting some stick in the press, but that's the English media for you, they'll tear into you if you're losing and do the same if you're winning! I'd have taken 3-0 at the start of the series!

I agree. Circket isn't the only sport by any means which can have boring games. I have lost count of the number of turgid Rugby Union games I have sat through! The weather can also have a big impact on how much of a spectacle a match can be in a lot of sports.

Johnuk123

Established Member

I went out to get some petrol yesterday and when I got back we'd scored 2 runs, must have been great to watch live.

I'd have taken 3-0 too, I think the upcoming series in Australia is going to be much closer than this one.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The Aussies will be really up for revenge in the winter. Under conditions they are more used to, with a lot of home support, I hope they do put up a good show.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Given the change in conditions from the first two days, the main thing was to avoid the follow-on. I suspect even the WI team of the 70s would have been more cautious. And don't just blame the batting - the bowlers have not been over varied. Neither side is gambling to win.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
The Aussies will be really up for revenge in the winter. Under conditions they are more used to, with a lot of home support, I hope they do put up a good show.

Their 'home support' melted away very rapidly last time, leaving the English supporters seemingly in the majority. They (Eng supporters) have always supported the team well even in the dark years and I hope it continues. On the occasions when I've been able to get tickets for a test there has always been a great good-humoured atmosphere.
If today is ruined and a full days play occurs tomorrow and England hopefully save the follow-on, I wonder whether Clarke will have a dash for some quick runs if Australia have a decent first innings lead and put England back in again? If England fail to save the follow on it will be more 'backs to the wall stuff'. Either way, could be interesting!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Rather annoying for the ticket holders for the weekend final two days play of this final Test Match of the series with all the fourth day being lost to rain and then the heavy overnight rainfall has caused the morning session on the final day to be very doubtful.

Old Trafford and Manchester in general had quite a dry day on Saturday..:D

Oswyntail

Established Member
An amazing turnaround at the Oval. Sadly not England tonking 500 more runs and bowling Aussie out for 1 (Extras - 1lb). But what looked like another washed-out morning seeing play start and continue. Well done Oval ground staff!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Their 'home support' melted away very rapidly last time, leaving the English supporters seemingly in the majority. They (Eng supporters) have always supported the team well even in the dark years and I hope it continues. On the occasions when I've been able to get tickets for a test there has always been a great good-humoured atmosphere.
If today is ruined and a full days play occurs tomorrow and England hopefully save the follow-on, I wonder whether Clarke will have a dash for some quick runs if Australia have a decent first innings lead and put England back in again? If England fail to save the follow on it will be more 'backs to the wall stuff'. Either way, could be interesting!

Aye, it is true that Aussie fans tend to lose their enthusiasm when things go against them at home. I hope that they Aussie performances on the filed will ensure that doesn't happen this winter.

I think this Test is heading inexorably towards a draw...

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Moving to matters domestic the bottom of the Championship is looking very like it could produce a very exiting finish at the bottom as it currently stands:

Code:
[B]Team    Played   Points[/B]

Notts     12       113
Derby     12        91
Som       12        89
Surrey    11        76

With Derbyshire due to play Surrey in the next round, then Somerset the round after and Surrey due to play Somerset in the round after that things are looking quite well set up. And in the final round of fixtures at the end of September(!) all three are playing. Then of course Notts are hardly completely secure in their position so it could well become a four way slog at the bottom.

So who want's to put their money on Derbyshire mounting a late comeback to secure their survival? They have just handily turned over Sussex and Middlesex...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
England 377 all out (144.4 overs)

Faulkner ends with figures of 4-51.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
*********************************************************************************************

Worcester took their overnight score of 166-5 to 241 all out, which was far too low a target to set problems for Lancashire, who duly raced to 88-1 to record a victory by 9 wickets.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Australia have declared over Tea on 111 for 6 to set England 227 runs from 44 overs at 5.15 runs per over. Or alternatively they have 44 overs to get 10 wickets.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Australia have declared over Tea on 111 for 6 to set England 227 runs from 44 overs at 5.15 runs per over. Or alternatively they have 44 overs to get 10 wickets.

Broad finished with 4-43 in that innings. England are not very likely to attempt the required run-chase on the principle of "have what you hold" and their batting performance in their first innings seems to reinforce this opinion.

However, they may wish to react to the media criticisn of their slow batting run-rate in their first innings.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
**************************************************************************************************

England 206-5

Need 21 from the last 4 overs to win.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Match drawn due to bad light. A real real shame that game was set up for a thrilling conclusion. I have to say I think the laws are wrong on this issue, this can't be the way that a test match is supposed to end...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Match drawn due to bad light. A real real shame that game was set up for a thrilling conclusion. I have to say I think the laws are wrong on this issue, this can't be the way that a test match is supposed to end...

Totally agree. I know that Bell was run out on the last ball of the over, but surely their new-found batting expertise in scoring at a rate of over 5 runs per over should have been allowed to reach its logical conclusion.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Indeed! I think this test will now always be remembered as a 'what if'. Which is a shame as it could have been fascinating. Anyone for England needing six from the last over? I suspect that if it had got to it's conclusion it would have ended up on Sky's never ending torrent of 'Ashes Memories' highlight shows...

Disappointing (though not unexpected) to see umpires being booed however I did love Aleem Dar's reaction which was to turn and wave both hands above his head at the crowd!

Johnuk123

Established Member
Well the ICC ruined that game and the series has ended on a sour note.

We might have won the Ashes but it feels a real let down as we would have won that game if a bit of common sense had been shown.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well the ICC ruined that game and the series has ended on a sour note.

We might have won the Ashes but it feels a real let down as we would have won that game if a bit of common sense had been shown.

Yep bit of a sour note but still we did win 3-0 so let's not get too down!

I have to agree with what Ian Botham has just said, if there are floodlights you shouldn't be going off the field for bad light! Things have been improved since they stopped offering the light to the batsmen, but there's a lot of work to do. The easiest being appending the laws such that they clearly state that where floodlights are in use you do not leave the field for bad light.

Johnuk123

Established Member

I have to agree with what Ian Botham has just said, if there are floodlights you shouldn't be going off the field for bad light! Things have been improved since they stopped offering the light to the batsmen, but there's a lot of work to do. The easiest being appending the laws such that they clearly state that where floodlights are in use you do not leave the field for bad light.

Tell the full house at the Oval that they shouldn't get too down.
Absolutely terrible end I think.

Clarke declared to try and force a win, and turned yellow to get a draw when he was almost certain to lose, typical of that nation though.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member

As much as I am desperately trying to agree with you I think that the umpires had no choice because of the conditions of play, it might be one of those things that the ICC might have to look at, but what other alternatives? ....both captains agree to continue? - but Clarke wouldn't have agreed and to be fair (I'm not often fair to Australian cricketers) they were struggling to see the ball. (and despite what Ian Botham says, when the lights are on and it's that dark in 50 over or T20, they are playing with a white ball - easier for all concerned)
Still, a great day, England were excellent I thought all through the day, Clarke had to make the running to try and concoct a consolation victory and very nearly handed England victory on a plate! Amusing to see them scuttle off the pitch so quickly!

Whistler40145

Established Member
Simply, the Umpires had their hands tied & had to follow the ICC Rules for bad light.

I do hope that in the future, the ICC sits down & come up with a compromise, that any Test Match held at a venue that has permanent floodlights doesn't have to follow the bad light rules, unless the lights fail, but where no floodlights are available, the bad light rules kick in as normal.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Just heard the news that Hugh Morris is leaving the ECB to take up the role of Chief Executive at Glamorgan.

Who in your wisdom are the likeliest candidates to replace him?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Simply, the Umpires had their hands tied & had to follow the ICC Rules for bad light.

Indeed I don't blame them (in the cold hard light of morning anyway) they simply followed the rules that they were given.

I do hope that in the future, the ICC sits down & come up with a compromise, that any Test Match held at a venue that has permanent floodlights doesn't have to follow the bad light rules, unless the lights fail, but where no floodlights are available, the bad light rules kick in as normal.

Quite. Whilst I can see the point Arglwydd Golau is making I keep coming back to the fact that Cricket is in the business of entertainment. What happened last night was not entertaining for the thousands in the ground or the thousands of watching at home and the millions interested in the result.