• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry - Apprentice Drivers - Multiple Depots (12/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernTech

Will CrossCountry do the driver assessments first then interview with driver managers or the other way round?
Who knows? Some people get emails confirming application received, some dont. Some receive updates, some don’t. I’ve got two applications in, one last year and one this, not received a thing. I’m leaning towards thinking that those that get no updates either are sifted out or somehow, not even in their system, seems so disorganised! Railway recruitment teams are generally poor with their communication, perhaps due to being so busy, but XC seem to be all over the place.

Newapplicant

I've just received the update email. Here it is for those wondering:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220131-145258_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220131-145258_Gmail.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 223

Jeffers

Who knows? Some people get emails confirming application received, some dont. Some receive updates, some don’t. I’ve got two applications in, one last year and one this, not received a thing. I’m leaning towards thinking that those that get no updates either are sifted out or somehow, not even in their system, seems so disorganised! Railway recruitment teams are generally poor with their communication, perhaps due to being so busy, but XC seem to be all over the place.

I applied for a role out of Banbury through the DB website and did get an automated email when applying but then after about 8 weeks it went to "End of Process", which I think was due to my location, however I will never know as no feedback was provided, but my point is I have faith in the system, if you are successful and get to move onto the next stage someone will definitely contact you. I have seen this first hand with other roles.

I've just received the update email. Here it is for those wondering:

Thanks for this!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Never understand why some do DMI before OPC, surely more people fail the OPC testing than the DMI?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Well yes, but if only say 25% (a number I've read on other threads) pass OPC then that would be a lot less interviews for managers to do.
My managers would be fuming if they had to fit in a hundred interviews rather than 25. Clearly managers time is worth less than OPC charge

D Rivers

When I interviewed they told me that they only interviewed 30!! So not that big of a deal for DTM’s.
RAAT is one of the online tests. Can’t remember the other.

Oh it was a situational judgement test. Remember now! 8-)

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Fair enough, I was just working backwards from needing around 30 trainees

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I've had the sorry for the further delay email, saying 2 more weeks today

Newapplicant

**I'll preface this with I cannot say for certain - but** I wonder if they are emailing in batches, like sorting out applications in batches then emailing each batch on their respective day.

TheAnswer89

**I'll preface this with I cannot say for certain - but** I wonder if they are emailing in batches, like sorting out applications in batches then emailing each batch on their respective day.

Or depotwise. Who knows. Its railway. Everything in here seems odd at the very least.

Diedinium

I’ve been told they need 32 nationwide so a good amount overall.
That's a surprising number! Though, if they got a few thousand/hundred applications then the chances of even getting past the sifting are still absurdly low lol

Did you receive any indication as to why they need so many? Is it just because they haven't hired in a while, or is there something going on that drives vacancies at XC?

This is most likely, they are probably filtering through [x] number of applications a day, and sending out emails as they do this.

Bit worried about what the OPC involves though, and the online tests? Can anyone provide more information or detail about the tests that might be involved?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
It seems a lot of TOCs are facing an upcoming shortage due to ageing workforces, particularly on the driver's side as the preference has been on hiring experienced drivers.

My depot in particular has around 8-10% of drivers due to retire within the next 3 years and a lot have said they aren't looking to continue past retirement age. That and they have seemingly been recruiting over 60s from freight over the last few years!

Obviously that's just a single depot for a single TOC, but I can imagine it's a similar situation across quite a broad range of depots.

That's a surprising number! Though, if they got a few thousand/hundred applications then the chances of even getting past the sifting are still absurdly low lol

Did you receive any indication as to why they need so many? Is it just because they haven't hired in a while, or is there something going on that drives vacancies at XC?

This is most likely, they are probably filtering through [x] number of applications a day, and sending out emails as they do this.

Bit worried about what the OPC involves though, and the online tests? Can anyone provide more information or detail about the tests that might be involved?
If you search for driver testing you'll get plenty of in depth information regarding what to expect.
Practice beforehand and be prepared for the MMI, other than that it's not worth worrying about at this stage

Last edited:

D Rivers

It’s because of upcoming retirement. I’ve heard a few figures from other TOC’s too.
TPE need 70+ drivers.
Northern need 50+.
Avanti need 30+.
XC need 32.
Don’t know how true any of them are but it gives us all a bit of hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.