• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry cancellation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfc3024

Hi,

Is anyone aware of why the 0750 xc service from Glasgow to Newcastle was cancelled this morning? The service runs to Plymouth and looks like it is commencing today at Newcaste. Usually this service is very reliable and weather is good today - no reason was given by station announcer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ferret

Established Member
Hi,

Is anyone aware of why the 0750 xc service from Glasgow to Newcastle was cancelled this morning? The service runs to Plymouth and looks like it is commencing today at Newcaste. Usually this service is very reliable and weather is good today - no reason was given by station announcer.

A Voyager broke!

BrianTheLion

I usually travel on XC between Glasgow/Newcastle.

If I had of been booked on this train this morning, what would have been my likely alternative?

Would I have been allowed to travel on Virgin to Carlisle and across to Newcastle or would I have been sent to Queen St for example to go via edinburgh?

How does it usually work?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yes. Confusion between/misuse of 'of' 'off' 'from' and 'have' really gets my goat. It is particularly bad on this forum.

Although it's been getting worse recently, I'd say this forum is better than most - there's one I go one occasionally for other discussions - it's good for the odd bit of fact but their use of language nearly drives me away.

Loose and lose seem to be indistinguishable to many too.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Has it ever occured to any of you that some of us don't actually get taught English quite as well as we should? In my school when kids had difficulties with English we were just left to it and given bad marks. If we could spell the words in a spelling test they didn't care if we could use them in a sentance properly. My English has improved greatly at University, this is because they have picked up on it and i now get tutored.

And i second Ainsworth's comments, what the hell happened! Voyagers failing is a very rare occurence, i've been left stranded because of XC trains failing about 5 times. Every time it has been when i have avoided a Voayger for a HST. I don't avoid Voyagers so keenly now as usually i know it will get me there!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Has it ever occured to any of you that some of us don't actually get taught English quite as well as we should?

Yes it has. And I despair that many of the worst examples my mum used to spot at one of the schools where she worked were on notices written by the English teacher - presumably these failures and misunderstandings were all passed on to his pupils who then didn't stand a chance of getting things right.

That doesn't stop some of us feeling almost physical pain at some of the errors made and hoping to be able to help and correct people who may not have known or understand the errors in their English (and possibly helping them when they are next trying to impress with, say, a job application).

My English has improved greatly at University, this is because they have picked up on it and i now get tutored.

Do make the most of it. I do appreciate that both at my primary schools and at home I had some very good teaching.

Last edited:

flymo

Established Member
Yes it has. And I dispair that many of the worst examples my mum used to spot at one of the schools where she worked were on notices written by the English teacher - presumably these failures and misunderstandings were all passed on to his pupils who then didn't stand a chance of getting things right.

That doesn't stop some of us feeling almost physical pain at some of the errors made and hoping to be able to help and correct people who may not have known or understand the errors in their English (and possibly helping them when they are next trying to impress with, say, a job application).

Do make the most of it. I do appreciate that both at my primary schools and at home I had some very good teaching.

* despair

Getting back to the real world, I guess the reason why that train started from Newcastle this morning was because the northbound service that was to have formed this service failed somewhere last night.

Can anyone with any inside info shed any light on this?

tsr

Established Member
Of all the things that could go wrong and cause a cancellation :lol:

I might be out of touch, but it's quite a while since a train I've intended to get has been cancelled because of it.

I imagine many passengers might laugh derisively at that excuse, but if they were to realise that there could be a fatal incident if that train came to be in service with a defective horn, they might not be quite so scornful!

Status
Not open for further replies.