• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast Loco Hauled Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alexf380

Established Member
That is somewhat of an understatement. Sat there for near enough 3 hours while we waited for a rescue loco to arrive from Kingmoor. Once we got going we were then terminated at Workington. On board staff were absolutely fantastic, might I add.

Tringonometry

That is somewhat of an understatement. Sat there for near enough 3 hours while we waited for a rescue loco to arrive from Kingmoor. Once we got going we were then terminated at Workington. On board staff were absolutely fantastic, might I add.

Good to hear you were well looked after in trying circumstances.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Good to hear you were well looked after in trying circumstances.

And good that we've only to endure this nonsense for a few more weeks. Assuming the lack of electrification all over and the 385s in Scotland don't stop enough units arriving in Northern to find stock to replace the LHCS from the timetable change. Oh, and assuming that the railway as a whole can manage to make the change.

DoI: I did enjoy the 37s and hope to see and ride behind a 68 or two, but this has been, latterly, a fiasco.

Suraggu

The 68s keep to unit timings. I have travelled on the circuit quite a few times and regularly we have been awaiting time. The idea that the 68s are slower than the equivalent 156 is nonsense by these so called action groups.

In theory the hauling 68 is on the equivalent load 6. Train ready to start is a lot quicker thanks to hand held radios.

I whilst it will be a shame to see loco hauled disappear from December 2019 I do feel for the Sellafield commuters. On load 3 the train is full and standing to and from the plant.

In regards to this revenue loss that people predict, most of the cranks travelling are using free BR boxes or staff passes, so cannot see a massive drop.

Established Member
The 68s keep to unit timings. I have travelled on the circuit quite a few times and regularly we have been awaiting time. The idea that the 68s are slower than the equivalent 156 is nonsense by these so called action groups.

In theory the hauling 68 is on the equivalent load 6. Train ready to start is a lot quicker thanks to hand held radios.

I whilst it will be a shame to see loco hauled disappear from December 2019 I do feel for the Sellafield commuters. On load 3 the train is full and standing to and from the plant.

In regards to this revenue loss that people predict, most of the cranks travelling are using free BR boxes or staff passes, so cannot see a massive drop.

You think the loco hauled will be around until Dec 19 I very much doubt that

a_c_skinner

Established Member
When is this pantomime planned to end? I thought it was back to DMUs at the timetable change, or is that just on the Furness Line?

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Not good, but I use the coast recreationally and Furness when serious so it will suit me. Surely someone can rustle up the required DMUs? Even Pacers seemed more reliable.

Suraggu

Not good, but I use the coast recreationally and Furness when serious so it will suit me. Surely someone can rustle up the required DMUs? Even Pacers seemed more reliable.

The 68 hauled set failed once in a month of operation and that was down to a coach fault. The 68 hauled diagrams have been extremely reliable. They beat current unit timings.

Tringonometry

The 68 hauled set failed once in a month of operation and that was down to a coach fault. The 68 hauled diagrams have been extremely reliable. They beat current unit timings.

That's twice you've suggested that 68s can keep to or beat unit timings.

Put one on the 1830BIFCAR. If it can keep to *those* timings I'll give you a tenner.

They're lovely locos but they're not miracle-workers.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

That's certainly good to know. I look forward to some comfortable uninterrupted trips to see the rugby out that way (assuming the other issues such as staffing don't make a reappearance).

Even if they did take marginally longer than a 156 would, I wouldn't see that as a problem frankly.

Tringonometry

That's certainly good to know. I look forward to some comfortable uninterrupted trips to see the rugby out that way (assuming the other issues such as staffing don't make a reappearance).

The problems with that plan are:

1) There's only one Class 68 diagram. There's still a 37 running around, and even if you're not on it the chances are you'll be affected if it misbehaves; and

2) The 68s and DRS drivers will be taken back come October as they're needed for RHTT duties. In the absence of cascaded DMUs, brace yourself for 37s on two diagrams again.

Established Member

1) There's only one Class 68 diagram. There's still a 37 running around, and even if you're not on it the chances are you'll be affected if it misbehaves; and

2) The 68s and DRS drivers will be taken back come October as they're needed for RHTT duties. In the absence of cascaded DMUs, brace yourself for 37s on two diagrams again.

I'm sure Northern will find at least 1 DMU later in the year, they have cascaded DMU from Scotland to come, some say they might be delayed due to the 385 situation I don't see why, Scotrail HST were supposedly going regardless of whether GWR had enough IET's or not so the same should work in reverse.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

I suppose if you have any cancellation on the route, you're likely to have knock on problems. However if the 68 is performing as well as the MU's, I don't see why it should be castigated any more than them.

Suraggu

2C47 with 37403 had issues at Lancaster and now has terminated in the loop at Carnforth with a controlled evacuation being carried out. 2C47 activated Hest Bank HABD at 134 degrees. The Driver left the handbrake on from the previous incident at Lancaster.

Tringonometry

I suppose if you have any cancellation on the route, you're likely to have knock on problems. However if the 68 is performing as well as the MU's, I don't see why it should be castigated any more than them.

The 68s are fine. Pity they can't get more than 2.5 coaches, though.

They are slightly limited in that there's no doing request stops, though.

DanNCL

Established Member
They are slightly limited in that there's no doing request stops, though.
Does this mean they always skip these stations or that they will always stop? (I’m guessing they always stop slowing the service down!)
Braystones and Nethertown are the only request stops that the loco hauled sets don't stop at. They do stop at all the other request stops, on request.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
2C47 with 37403 had issues at Lancaster and now has terminated in the loop at Carnforth with a controlled evacuation being carried out. 2C47 activated Hest Bank HABD at 134 degrees. The Driver left the handbrake on from the previous incident at Lancaster.

Caused many delays to other trains including my northbound pendo which was delayed 60 mins as a result. The 37's were fine in their heyday but I think it's time they were now put out to grass.

Established Member
Caused many delays to other trains including my northbound pendo which was delayed 60 mins as a result. The 37's were fine in their heyday but I think it's time they were now put out to grass.
I don’t think much else would work too well if you take it down the mainline with the handbrake on (allegedly of course, know the Northern drivers are touchy) either be it old or new!

a_c_skinner

Established Member
I think it's time they were now put out to grass.

Yes, and I'm sorry my irritation wasn't more targeted, it is the 37s that are past their useful service life, which is presumably why DRS is buying new locomotives of course.

Tringonometry

Braystones and Nethertown are the only request stops that the loco hauled sets don't stop at. They do stop at all the other request stops, on request.

No. They stop* at all stops except Nethertown and Braystones.

*as in stop every time regardless of whether it's a request stop or not. There's no procedure for doing request stops on the LHCS services on the Cumbrian Coast.

Tringonometry

I don’t think much else would work too well if you take it down the mainline with the handbrake on (allegedly of course, know the Northern drivers are touchy) either be it old or new!

Touchy? Us? Shurely shome mishtake? :lol:

I'll take any reasonable, evidence-based criticism on the chin.

Tringonometry

Does this mean they always skip these stations or that they will always stop? (I’m guessing they always stop slowing the service down!)

You're spot on. They always have to stop. That's why I'm willing to bet a tenner they couldn't keep to time on some of the tighter unit timings, despite the plentiful horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.