• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast Loco Hauled Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Because there's always a door that the guard can open (admittedly this wouldn't work on a twelve carriage service).

1 door on a 3 or 4 car set is simply not enough to be able to be confident of achieving a satisfactory evacuation, should the need arise.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Isn't there an emergency release on them ?

I'm not sure about this stock specifically, but generally if you have locked a door out of use on older stock, then this overides any emergency release which may or may not be provided.

This of course if before we get to the terrible state of dwell times on a 4 coach train with one door in use....

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm not sure about this stock specifically, but generally if you have locked a door out of use on older stock, then this overides any emergency release which may or may not be provided.

This of course if before we get to the terrible state of dwell times on a 4 coach train with one door in use....

I take your point about the lock.

But I doubt the dwell times would be much worse than trying to fit them all on the following 153 !

a_c_skinner

Established Member
A little bit off topic, but a battery fault on a new vehicle. Now I've had this after a bit of stupidity with the interior light and Manchester airport but surely a railway locomotive this soon after delivery ought not to have battery faults. Is it as simple as leaving something switched on overnight? Or as simple as poor maintenance? Or as simple as the kit not lasting as long as my car seems to? Serious question. I can see the 37s and the Mk2s might be accumulating faults but the 68s?

Spartacus

Established Member
Could be a dodgy battery, I've had one go on a car before with a battery about as old as the one as 68003 (though no idea how old the battery in 68003 was), not long out of warranty too! :{

Established Member
Well I guess Last 37 to Preston on Thursday and Lancaster on Saturday, BDX of course (Breakdown Excepted):lol:

fowler9

Established Member
A little bit off topic, but a battery fault on a new vehicle. Now I've had this after a bit of stupidity with the interior light and Manchester airport but surely a railway locomotive this soon after delivery ought not to have battery faults. Is it as simple as leaving something switched on overnight? Or as simple as poor maintenance? Or as simple as the kit not lasting as long as my car seems to? Serious question. I can see the 37s and the Mk2s might be accumulating faults but the 68s?
Didn't pretty much brand new Boeing 787's start setting fire to themselves due to battery faults and get taken out of service. I think ANA grounded theirs, am sure if it can happen to 787's it can happen to 68's.

dazter77

The class 68 diagram has been a 37 all week.
Has one of the 68’s been playing up, or have DRS taken their toys back?

uww11x

68's more expensive for Northern to operate as they hire in drivers from DRS. 68's to be used RHTT

The class 68 diagram has been a 37 all week.
Has one of the 68’s been playing up, or have DRS taken their toys back?
68's finished last Friday 14th, the drivers are required for RHTT work.
Normal service resumed on Monday when it went back to being a 37, The 06:16 ex Carlisle, the 37 only made it to Dalston before it burst and returned empty to Kingmoor.
A different 37 came out on the 17:45 to Barrow but that only made it to Wigton where the service was terminated (stock related fault quoted!) and the set returned to Kingmoor once more, other parts of the diagram were covered with a 156, the 156 was also out for a bit on the Tuesday covering for the 37.

themiller

I've noticed that, when the LHCS sets have been passing my house, they are formed as during the summer with one having four coaches and the other three despite both being 37 powered, now.

stantheman

On Moderation
Are they definitely finishing in December , I take it there will be only 37s till then as 68s required for other duties ?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Are they definitely finishing in December , I take it there will be only 37s till then as 68s required for other duties ?

Given the current state of timetable plans I would suggest this date is not actually set in stone. Northern continue to be short of DMUs and are waiting for further cascades from other TOCs. Much as elimination of these loco-hauled workings is highly desirable from a purely operational POV it can't happen until enough DMUs are available to replace them. Yes it could all end in December but it might yet continue a little while longer.

Cletus

Established Member
Which 37's are there the moment?

The last one I travelled on was 37558(37424), which I saw today in London being towed with two other 37's by a 68.

_toommm_

Established Member
37401 hauled me back when I got it, and it was in the DRS yard next to the MK2 coaches on Thursday.

stretchdj74

Hi, can anyone shed any light on what might be on the 09.18 Barrow to Carlisle and 12.08 Carlisle to Barrow This Monday 8/10/18? Are they 37’s now? Also, is it 1 x loco and DBSO? Many thanks in advance.

themiller

Hi, can anyone shed any light on what might be on the 09.18 Barrow to Carlisle and 12.08 Carlisle to Barrow This Monday 8/10/18? Are they 37’s now? Also, is it 1 x loco and DBSO? Many thanks in advance.
They're currently running as 37 + 3 TSOs + DBSO. Locos can change at short notice due to failure or maintenance requirements.

Tringonometry

Update:

Just heard that as of next week none of the drivers who are yet to learn 37s will be trained on them, on the basis that they're "definitely going in January" ... presumably to be replaced by 156s.

So - get up here if you're dithering!

Status
Not open for further replies.