Customer service skills

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Nevillehill, 28 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevillehill

Nevillehill Member

I would like to apply for a role on the railway, I have no experience with working with the public, so to gain customer service would it be a good idea to go on a course at college, or practical skills such as volunteering ?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Nevillehill

Nevillehill Member

Take it your username refers to worth valley ? if so why not volunteer their but only put it down in hobbies as the big railway don't like volunteers, they only employ people who don't volunteer.

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Aug 2015
  4. transportphoto

transportphoto Established Member Quizmaster

I'm not so certain about that statement, it's rather sweeping. We've had discussions on this on this forum before, it's not the case at all.

Go out there, find something to do, even if it's a job in retail, volunteering or anything which will give you hands on experience of dealing with the public! It's all well and good knowing the theory behind good customer service from a college course, but realistically, this isn't going to help you much.

TP

5. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

FGW had better sack 10 staff at my depot then! :roll:

6. grumblingalong

grumblingalong Member

Yup that'd be the end if at least 30 staff in Anglia!

7. LowLevel

LowLevel Established Member

Not to mention a large number of drivers, guards, fitters, station staff and managers here!

8. Jonfun

Jonfun Established Member

One of the lasses at our depot asked if I still did heritage stuff, and I explained that I was spending much less time there but kept my hand in. One of the quieter guys who was sat nearby happened to glance up.
    "Heritage, like, steam trains?"
    "Aye, we do steam trains. Mostly at the weekends, like."
    "Oh, okay. And like, old diesels too?"
    "Yeah, we do a few diesel events each year."
    "Ah, okay..."

"...do you have a Western?"

9. Nevillehill

Nevillehill Member

Thanks for the info, Nevillehill obviousley does'nt know what he is on about.

10. theironroad

theironroad Established Member

I don't think there is any bias whether you do heritage volunteering or not.

However, if you are safety critical, especially driver and guard, you should include the heritage stuff together with mainline stuff when considering hidden rules. Tocs not only have to comply with hidden and competence records but then there is the 'fatigue index' which is a contentious minefield regarding life outside your main job.

11. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

What role would you be looking at? You don't necessarily need previous experience with dealing with the public or customer service, as the railway is very good at drumming this in to their staff through training internally. It's probably more important to make a good impression at the application stage. It'll be a little more difficult of course, as application form questions usually ask for examples of giving good customer service, but you can use examples from your personal life if you're struggling.

12. TDK

TDK Established Member

How old are you?

13. craigybagel

craigybagel Established Member

What the "Big Railway" really doesn't like is people with axes to grind. As has been said, there are many people on the railway who also volunteer. There are many more, myself included, who are enthusiasts of varying degrees but take a less visible role.

People who apply for jobs thinking they'll do well just because they've got Heritage Railway experience will struggle; people who apply for jobs who can show they've got the right experience, which might have come from a heritage railway, they tend to do better, if that makes any sense?

That said, if you're looking for a Customer Facing role (Station Staff, Guards, Catering) then Customer Service is one of the big things they look for. IMO it's far easier to learn the contents of the rule book than it is to learn how to deal with the public. If I'd gone straight into my guards job off the street with no Customer Service experience I reckon I'dve been eaten alive!

Last edited: 2 Sep 2015
  14. E&W Lucas

E&W Lucas Established Member

The same discussion was had a couple of weeks back, involving the same people (person?).
    Axes definitely adjacent to abrasive wheel.

15. Clip

Clip On Moderation

Maybe you just didn't show the right attitude when you were applying for your job then because you talk crap.

@OP - As others have said local heritage with passengers would be a help but so would just getting a Saturday job or something in a pub/shop/club anything like that to get a feel of how it is to talk to absolute strangers. As long as you demonstrate that you have the qualities then Im sure anyone would hire you .

16. redbutton

redbutton Member

I think everyone is jumping the gun a little bit by assuming kwvr101 meant volunteering on a railway.

I'm a driver, not HR, but I think volunteering anywhere for the experience would look better on an application rather than just sitting around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.