• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cyclist almost gets hit by train after jumping barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

455driver

Veteran Member
Was Gemz91's post not meant to be ironic? Because I read it as ironic.

I read it as moronic, just another example of the whiter than white 'cyclist' not wishing to be associated with a ****ed up 'cyclist', either way you look at it, they are both cyclist its just that one abuses level crossings while (some of) the others abuse red lights, give way signs, stop signs, pedestrian crossings etc etc! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
A Good Cyclist is like a Good Car Driver. Uses common sense. A Bad Cyclist is like a Bad Driver. Has None!

PeterC

Established Member
The cherry on the cake was his obvious offence at the train driver not stopping to let him through!

marks87

Established Member
That happens when "motorists" do stupid things. :|

Does it?

I could go to Tesco right now, buy a cheap mountain bike and ride it away. Anyone could. But then I don't even need to ride it - I could push said bike to the nearest level crossing and proceed to vault a lowered barrier. Or mug someone. Or... In all cases, the presence of the bike immediately makes me a "cyclist" as opposed to just "an idiot" or "scum" respectively.

Alternatively, if I were to use a car to ram-raid a shop, would I be described as a "motorist" or a "driver"? Or would the headline instead focus on the act and my character in general, as opposed to the particular mode of transport I was using while committing the crime?

The presence of a bike influences behaviour no more than the presence of a car. It's the person, not the chosen transport that should be the focus.

Marklund

Does it?

I could go to Tesco right now, buy a cheap mountain bike and ride it away. Anyone could. But then I don't even need to ride it - I could push said bike to the nearest level crossing and proceed to vault a lowered barrier. Or mug someone. Or... In all cases, the presence of the bike immediately makes me a "cyclist" as opposed to just "an idiot" or "scum" respectively.

Alternatively, if I were to use a car to ram-raid a shop, would I be described as a "motorist" or a "driver"? Or would the headline instead focus on the act and my character in general, as opposed to the particular mode of transport I was using while committing the crime?

The presence of a bike influences behaviour no more than the presence of a car. It's the person, not the chosen transport that should be the focus.

Compare like with like, for goodness sake. :roll:
It's an offence, on, or in a vehicle.

I'll send you a fiver if you go and ram raid a shop on a bike.

Oh, and the first hit for motorist level crossing on Google (other search providers are available) is for the Langley Green footage released by the BTP, in numerous media outlets...

Last edited:

marks87

Established Member
Compare like with like, for goodness sake. :roll:
It's an offence, on, or in a vehicle.

Exactly my point.

But when a person with a bicycle commits a crime, "cyclist" is emphasised; when a person in a car commits a crime, "motorist" is peripheral.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
We have a serious situation with a near-miss with a moron who totally abused the level crossing barriers, potentially vandalising then and ending up underneath a train, and contributors on here are arguing as to what constitutes a cyclist?

Human nature pigeon holes, stereotypes and prejudges people based on what they look like and on their actions, yet at the same time people cannot help themselves but behave in the manner by which they are judged.

The moron had a bike, he was obviously riding it as he attempted to get on it once through the barriers, then dismounted once he saw the train. Ironically his actions actually caused tbe delay he was attempting to avoid! As his focus was on the train we all saw he was lucky he wasnt turned into peanut butter jelly by a train coming the other way as he wouldnt have seen it.

Prosecution for wilful endangerment. No less. This needs to be made high profile, along with all the other abusers of crossings

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Can we stop obsessing with the technicalities of what constitutes a "cyclist" please?

There are idiots in all areas of life, simple as that. One idiot does not mean the whole population is tarnished the same.

There, settled. Any more meaningless arguments on this point will be deleted without exception.

Move on.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Can we stop obsessing with the technicalities of what constitutes a "cyclist" please?

There are idiots in all areas of life, simple as that. One idiot does not mean the whole population is tarnished the same.

There, settled. Any more meaningless arguments on this point will be deleted without exception.

Move on.

Exactly!

^What he said....

Master29

Established Member
I thought Piltdown man was a fake. Seems pretty real enough here.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Is the fact that he had a bike really relevant? What is relevant is that he barged his way through the gap between the barriers (tresspass committed?) and he could have easily have been wiped out by a train coming the other way, he was lucky there wasn't one (did the driver of the train that missed him do an emergency GSM-R call?)

Had he been hit by the train, what damage would the bike have done to the train? If the bike had been pushed by the train far enough to meet the 3rd rail and bridge the gap between the 3rd rail and the running rail, would that have caused a dead short and tripped out the power supply?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
what a berk that cyclist is!

Interesting how no one, including Jeremy Vine, makes any attempt to stop this moron.

At that location could the train be clearly seen approaching when he trys to go across the barrier?

I am fairly certain that Jeremy Vine wasn't there. He seems to have re-tweeted the video, like i did. Not sure i could have stopped him either.....................

Established Member
It's quite clear from the linguistics and demeanour that the genre of human that this person falls into isn't quite "leisure cyclist" or "commuter cyclist" but a term which would leave me banned from this web forum, which I believe is called a "tw____

*fzzt*

***USER DELETED***

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I will simply re-emphasise that anyone with any questions re: a moderation decision should contact the staff team via PM.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Quick reaction by the train driver to hit the horn at the last second on seeing the man appear. He (the cyclist) shows signs of drunkenness, I think.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Apparently he ended up having to use it as the train driver applied the emergency brakes and blocked the crossing.

Was the outcome, then, that he simply walked off to the bridge rather than using the other barriers as he has the first set? What did the train driver do? Given the speed, that was some stop if the train blocked the crossing. BTW - it's an 'emergency brake application', rather than an application of the emergency brakes - the brakes are the same ones, just applied more fiercely.

jochta

Was the outcome, then, that he simply walked off to the bridge rather than using the other barriers as he has the first set? What did the train driver do? Given the speed, that was some stop if the train blocked the crossing. BTW - it's an 'emergency brake application', rather than an application of the emergency brakes - the brakes are the same ones, just applied more fiercely.

I'm only repeating what I read elsewhere from witnesses that were there that he ended up using the footbridge (by retracing his steps presumably). I don't know the location. Was the train slowing for a station beyond the crossing and ended up stopping short when the driver applied the brakes?

najaB

Veteran Member
Was the train slowing for a station beyond the crossing and ended up stopping short when the driver applied the brakes?
I don't know it if it was scheduled to stop there, but North Sheen station is about 200m from the level crossing.

Bookd

As to stopping the man a bystander quoted in the local paper said he was very aggressive and 'off his nut' - this person implied he would be afraid to become involved. (and he looks like a big bloke)

CosherB

Established Member
Is the fact that he had a bike really relevant? What is relevant is that he barged his way through the gap between the barriers (tresspass committed?) and he could have easily have been wiped out by a train coming the other way, he was lucky there wasn't one (did the driver of the train that missed him do an emergency GSM-R call?)

Had he been hit by the train, what damage would the bike have done to the train? If the bike had been pushed by the train far enough to meet the 3rd rail and bridge the gap between the 3rd rail and the running rail, would that have caused a dead short and tripped out the power supply?

Just give your brain a rest ..... :roll:

Elecman

Established Member
Yes if the bike bridges the 3rd rail to running rail then yes the short circuit would cause the breakers to trip and turn off the supply

Status
Not open for further replies.